Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

IOS GPS alternatives

I need to upload a TCX file to plan my route the weekend, whats the best ISO app to use... or should I buy a Garmin/Polar instead of mobile app?

I also have a HR Monitor.

Thx!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

aegisdesign | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm quite partial to Komoot for it's routing ability to match bike selection/fitness level, offline maps and turn-by-turn directions* but you can also plan routes by uploading GPX files. I don't think it does TCX directly so convert it first on gpsies.com before uploading to komoot.com

It will then try and match the GPX track to it's own routing showing it's route in blue and the GPX route in red so you can tweak waypoints to get it closer to the GPX or not if you want to trust komoot instead.

*generally good though you do have to get your head around...

"In 100m, take the next continue straight"

"In 70m, turn right" - on a road with no junctions but with a right bend in it.

and riding around Yorkshire and Lancashire throws up some interesting text-to-speech attempts.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Do you actually 'need' a GPS or 'app' that shows you the route?

I still have a look at a physical or online map the day before, note down a few directions/pictograms on a bit of paper, fold it inside my back pocket (waterproof pocket if need be) and then ride with a basic computer.

I make a mental note of where I'm supposed to be going and just use the bit of paper as a refresher, you're much more likely to be focusing on the road and enjoying the ride instead of constantly looking at a screen for x, y and z plus you do get better at it.

I have a Teasi One3 that I picked up last year for riding in a new area of France but tbh I haven't used it since and even then it was mostly used to get through a busy city from my digs to the places I needed to be.

Decent unit and inexpensive compared to the other big players though.

good luck

aegisdesign replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I make a mental note of where I'm supposed to be going and just use the bit of paper as a refresher, you're much more likely to be focusing on the road and enjoying the ride instead of constantly looking at a screen for x, y and z plus you do get better at it.

That's partly why I like komoot. Approaching 50 so reading anything on my handlebars without my other glasses is a challenge. If you spot me in an aero tuck, it's more than likely I'm just squinting at my computer.

komoot does audio turn-by-turn directions. The phone stays in my back pocket most of the ride unless I decide to re-route mid ride.

Latest Comments