Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Loose and rattling Shimano 105 shifter blades

Repair advice please?!?! - I have Shimano 105 5800 shifters on my Cannondale Synapse..... I have noticed that the left hand shifter blades are both quite loose and rattle on bumpy roads. ..and I cannot easily see a tightening screw.  I also cannot find advice on the web that tells me how to tighten them.....so I thought I d ask the Road CC forum for help!  All advice is very welcome! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jason Smith | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and advice..... the caliper was stiff and not completely returning to position.... job done.  Thanks again, j

DaSy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Are you sure that it isn't your rear brake caliper is stiff and not pulling the cable back under spring tension, which is effectively what holds your brake levers firmly in place.

To test it, just pull on the cable near the brake and see if the loose lever solves itself.

Edit to say, assuming it is, you will then have to solve the stiff caliper, which is usually just a good clean up, cover the pads and spray some GT85 on the various pivots and work the caliper a bit.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure someone on here suggested wedging a small piece of foam up in the gap or under the short end of the lever. Would probably do the job.

Latest Comments