Home

My daily driver is an old cheapo mtb and I was under the impression that riding a bike is totally free , Now that I look at my bike and see what I have done with it, it all adds up..
How much have you spent on your bike related stuff this year?

For me.
£23 New set of tyres
£17 Bike rack and 2 pannier bags
£16 Cold weather clothing garments
£23 a Nice front light+18650 batteries+charger + a nice rear light.
£3 new brake pads
£10 for small bits ( some reflective stickers/Bell/ oil /flashlight mount/bike pump)

Total £92 for just some mundane stuff I thought costs nothing.
I think I have used my bike maybe 100x this year,per usage cost..Not so free after all  4

43 comments

sergius [545 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

Too much if your my wife, not enough for me  1

(Including a new winter bike, around 2.5k)

don simon [2160 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

I don't count it up.

Grahamd [951 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes

Way more than I tell my wife!

Redvee [399 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

I dread to think 

BehindTheBikesheds [1878 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

£1300 on two pairs wheels
£250 on a NOS carbon frame
£550 on a Ti audax/tourer
£140 tyres
£15 new water bottles
£23 new rack
£40 brake pads
£26 derailleur
£36 chainsx3
£25 cassette
£40 CF flat bar
£20 stems x2
£25 Inner tubes x10
£34 Front and rear light (Spaninga)

Yeah, bit naughty this year but I won't spend much next year if anything.
I'm pretty much done bike wise for the foreseeable future and that means next 10 years. Have back up if my commuter gets written off, well stocked on components and service parts for next 3 years easily.

Simon E [3299 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

It varies, usually around £500-600, but I had to replace my 10 year old road bike this year (cracked frame) so that pushed the total nearer £1000. Not bad considering that all 4 of us use bikes to get to work/school etc.

Commuting by bike saves my car from at least 4,000 miles of fuel and wear and tear.

hawkinspeter [1867 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

If I had to guess, I'd reckon somewhere near £5000. That does include a whole bike and some Prime wheels, but as it's a hobby, I regret nothing.

StraelGuy [1404 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

Probably in the £2,500-£2,800 ballpark in total. Mind you, I did treat myself to my Strael with Ultegra level brakes and 105 groupset .

Leviathan [3057 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes

Wiggle only knows.

Nat Jas Moe [179 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

The most ever, what with a new best bike, new shoes, new jacket, new wheels, new pedals...........

But DW said yes, so its ok 

VonPinkhoffen [44 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes

Clearly not enough as my wiggle discount got downgraded from platinum to gold.

Although I did buy a Frontier from Alpkit as a birthday present to myself...

BehindTheBikesheds [1878 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes
Nat Jas Moe wrote:

The most ever, what with a new best bike, new shoes, new jacket, new wheels, new pedals...........

But DW said yes, so its ok 

That reminds me, forgot shoes and jacket but both were a bargain price, oh and a cheeky £350 front wheel that slipped my mindyes

Bollocks, spent £120 on 3 designer jerseys in my rugby clubs colours too, I'm sure there are more things I've forgotten!

Canyon48 [934 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

We don't ask silly questions like that in my household.

I'd rather not think about the numbers, but to give you some idea:

• Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0, since upgraded to the new Ultegra R8000 Hydro groupset, Fizik Antares R5 carbon, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Conti GP4000S II's.
  • Whyte Wessex 2018,  DT Swiss R32 Spline DB wheelset, (sold the R8000 parts to my other half - long story) 105 cranks and rear mech, Conti GP 4 seasons, Fabric Scoop flat, Canyon VCLS seatpost, A600 pedals, Deda Superzero bars and stem.
  • Bontrager Ballista MIPS, DHB Aeron Speed bib shorts, DHB Roubaix bib tights, DHB windslam gloves, Castelli Difesa, Shimano RW5 winter boots.

Also recently bought a 2006 Specialized Transition Comp frameset and a HED carbon tri spoke front wheel as a project for building custom aero parts for time-trialling.

I've sold about £3000 of bikes and parts though. I sold my old road bike, old commute bike and old hack/commute/cx bike for the Canyon Ultimate and Whyte Wessex. I also managed to flip two vintage road bikes and a PlanetX bike that I bought for a few quid each (literally) and sold on for at least £150 each (after a bit of a clean)...

CXR94Di2 [2080 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

At least £10k on newly built bike and trips abroad for riding tours.

ibr17xvii [295 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

I'm still on Platinum discount at Wiggle so that tells me too much.

Total bumped up by the purchase of a turbo but apart from that just bits & pieces really.

peted76 [1084 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

Try not to think about it too much.. 

Mason Definition, £3000

Pedals, £70

Mudguards, £35

New helmet, £150 

Gloves & sunglasses, £80 

Bibs and jersey, £180

Tyres, wheel tape, valves, £100

Strava, £50 (!)

LVRC Membership, £14

Entry to ToC and Rawlingson Bracket, £90

Gels, bars, £30

Plus all the petrol, food and the odd hotel all based around cycling.. I'm sure there's loads more I've spent... Bike rental on the family holiday, £60... 

Canyon48 [934 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

I feel much better now  10

asdfqwerty [40 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

I could easily buy a new bike with the money I've spent on kit, parts, etc., over the past year. Which is a dangerous way to justify the relatively low cost of buying another bike...

Yorkshire wallet [1981 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

Next to nothing this year as the clothing should last a bit longer.

Couple of innertubes, will need new tyres when weather clears up (can't be arsed at moment, too cold, going on Zwift instead) and a chain. That's literally it. Spent loads in 2016 though.

Actually I need a new garage heater, so I guess that's cycling related.

ClubSmed [675 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes

Every year I enroll on the Cycle to Work scheme so I spend £1k through that (last bike purchase on it was 3 years ago) before I even begin to look at what other stuff I have bought here and there.

I don't believe that cycling is necessarily cheaper (for me at least) than any other mode of commuting unless you write off the amount you spend as the cost of your hobby and the commuting part being a free value-add perk.

I have just made the mistake of checking the annual season ticket calculator online. If I commuted by train instead the cost would be £500. I am going to have to stop buying all the Asian import cycling gear and take the eviromentally friendly stance in future.

To be honest though, the main benefit for me is my mental health. Cycling on my commute enables me to wake up in the morning ready for work and wind down in the evening ready for home. I do not get stressed on my commute or ever dread the ride like I do when going by train, bus or car and that is worth a lot to me.

CygnusX1 [802 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

Holy moly! Just totted up the purchases that have left an electronic trail and I'm up to £931 and I've only gone as far back as August on Wiggle...

Breaks down as

£283 @ Ken Fosters (my LBS)

£220 @ CRC

£76 @ Amazon

£129 @ Wiggle (Aug - Dec)

£223 @ misc. other

Does not include...

£??? @ Wiggle (Jan - Jul)

A few quid here/there spent on odds/ends in Halfords

peted76 [1084 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes

Don't forget coffee! I reckon I've spent £200-£300 this year on coffee and cake alone!

sergius [545 posts] 6 months ago
2 likes
peted76 wrote:

Don't forget coffee! I reckon I've spent £200-£300 this year on coffee and cake alone!

Now you're being unreasonable.  This is about cycling expenditure, not necessities!

HowardR [195 posts] 6 months ago
3 likes

On the bike(s)......X

On the resultant divorce X squared & more.........

Grahamd [951 posts] 6 months ago
3 likes
HowardR wrote:

On the bike(s)......X

On the resultant divorce X squared & more.........

But did you get custody of the bikes?

SingleSpeed [429 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

For the first time in ever I would say the prizes I have won have outstripped my expenditure...

The only reason this is the case is that  it's 12Months since I left the bike trade - before I left I must have spent over 12k (RRP) I shouldn't really need to spend much money save new childrens bikes for the next couple of years!

hawkinspeter [1867 posts] 6 months ago
1 like
peted76 wrote:

Dagnammit - I've probably spent about £400 on coffee beans alone (Hasbean.co.uk for the win).

kil0ran [856 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

Net, around £1500 I reckon. All highly justifiable - sold my CX so I could use a tagalong and so bought a tourer. Then found that the tourer was a bit unwieldy at times so built up my old rim brake frame with a mix of spares and new parts.

Now toying with finding a Ti frame to replace on of those (probably rim-braked - some good deals to be had from people "upgrading" to disc frames.

Once my son is too old for a tagalong I'll build up the frame I've got for him in the attic and probably go down to a single do-it-all Ti frame - might even end up being a 29er or something like the Genesis Vagabond.

matthewn5 [1190 posts] 6 months ago
1 like

£450 on a Campag Croce d'aune groupset for my vintage Tommasini

£800 on some second hand Campag Bora Ones

£250 on a pair of used Hunt winter wheels

£199 on some Zonda C17s.

Funded by selling my Bianchi Sempre for £1,350, some Vision Metron wheels for £550, a Eurus wheelset for £225,  and a range of other bits and pieces for whatever I could get for them. Was a bit skint this year owing to buying a share of the freehold of our building, so money out had to equal money in...

risoto [63 posts] 6 months ago
0 likes

I don't like to think about it! Last year was about the bike: a Rose cross for the winter and a hybrid for city/shopping rides to add to the Bianchi Impulso summer bike. Thought this year would be cheap, but I've spent a fortune, 2,000 I'd say.

I started cycling about 2½ years ago and ride 4,000 miles/year. I buy good stuff, typically mid-range or upper-mid to top range if there's a healthy discount. I don't do the pro stuff, Castelli bibs, Rapha jerseys and the like. I am in love with DHB clothing, have not bought one item that was disappointing yet.

So, it does take time and lots of money to build up your collection of equipment, spares and, not least, a decent collection of clothes, the latter being the most difficult one as a beginner and ignorant.

Which clothes to buy is a dark art, mystery etc. So you end up buying some stuff you don't really like, a flapping jersey, another with an annoying zipper, another that's just a bit too small. The same goes for cycling shorts, pad not comfortable, too tight or too loose, not warm enough in the winter. Jackets - you basically need one for each 5 degree jump in temperature plus a rain and a wind jacket.

Shoes - just bought some cheap Specialized, never liked them so had to be replaced with my now favorite shoe brand - Northwave. Gloves, especially winter gloves, don't even get me started: Santini states: down to -5 degrees, my fingers were numb at +5c after only a few miles (they're not even wind proof, but works well in the autumn!).

Baselayers - need lots of them. Socks, same problem as with gloves, few are warm enough in the cold, others too warm in the spring/autumn, where others are too cold. So then you need some toe warmers, overshoes, winter shoes etc etc etc.

Therefore, a lot of what you buy ends up in the bin. Either because you didn't know what to buy or because you don't like what you got or it didn't perform well enough.

Cycling has become my hobby so I don't mind. But I do find it a bit ridiculous compared to 10 years ago when I rode for ½ year on a 7 gear city bike in normal clothes, no helmet, normal shoes etc. I just spent a few pounds on a saddle bag, mini pump and a very cheap bike computer. Two different worlds.

Now that I'm done (almost!) with the bikes, clothing and equipment, the next round of expenses will be on repairs and tools. I expect this to be a lot less, but then again...

So here we go (what I recall without checking all the invoices), from top to bottom:

- new helmet (MET Rivale - to have two to change between)

- 2 caps, 1 beenie, 1 headband

- new lenses  - Tifosi Slim photochromatic (very nice - and rather cheap)

- new winter gloves (Sportful sotto zero highly recommended), one pair of mits

- 4 long sleeve base layers, two thermal long sleeve jerseys

- autumn/spring jacket (Endura Windchill II - perfect)

- Softshell jacket - really cheap

- 3 bib shorts, 3 pairs of bib tights (DHB plus RH+ polar for freezing temperatures). I got hooked on bib shorts this year which I had never worn before.

- two pairs of long leg base layers for the winter

- 5 pairs of winter socks (DHB merino on sale!)

- 2 new pairs of shoes (Northwave Fahrenheit for the winter, Sonic 2 for the summer)

- special wool friendly detergent to wash all the stuff!

For the bike (s):

- 2 sets of tyres, 4 new inner tubes, 4 patch kits (Park tool on offer, binned 3 packs of useless pre-glued patch kits)

- 2 new chains

- 2 sets of Lezyne lights - only 20£ each plus a Bauch/Müller front and back light. I started to use lights in the daylight for extra safety.

- Top tube bag +  smaller saddle bag - just to try to get something better, not really needed

- new Lezyne bike computer - sold the useless Garmin Edge 1000 (so the Lezyne was 'free')

- two new mini pumps from Lezyne - had two from Specialized but it 'took all day' to inflate the tyre on the road

- Tools: chain breaker, chain link remover, chain clean tool, oil, degreaser etc, set of 6 hex tools, torque wrench, mini tool (racket with bits - recommended)

- 2 sets of mudguards, Crud was crap, got SKS instead

- one new saddle (20£ Selle Italia C2 - its perfect!)

- one new lock

- Feedback sports Rakk - to park the  bike - its very handy for small jobs

- 2 camelback water bottles

I don't dare to do the calculations - I am riding some expensive miles though it gets cheaper year by year. But I do think I'm not unreasonable. On the other hand I save on not having to  pay to go to a fitness center, not getting a home trainer and save a bit of gas for the car. Then on the other, other, hand - when you bike you also eat more........(and drink more coffee!)

Pages