Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

My daily driver is an old cheapo mtb and I was under the impression that riding a bike is totally free , Now that I look at my bike and see what I have done with it, it all adds up..
How much have you spent on your bike related stuff this year?

For me.
£23 New set of tyres
£17 Bike rack and 2 pannier bags
£16 Cold weather clothing garments
£23 a Nice front light+18650 batteries+charger + a nice rear light.
£3 new brake pads
£10 for small bits ( some reflective stickers/Bell/ oil /flashlight mount/bike pump)

Total £92 for just some mundane stuff I thought costs nothing.
I think I have used my bike maybe 100x this year,per usage cost..Not so free after all  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

We don't ask silly questions like that in my household.

I'd rather not think about the numbers, but to give you some idea:

• Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0, since upgraded to the new Ultegra R8000 Hydro groupset, Fizik Antares R5 carbon, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Conti GP4000S II's.
  • Whyte Wessex 2018,  DT Swiss R32 Spline DB wheelset, (sold the R8000 parts to my other half - long story) 105 cranks and rear mech, Conti GP 4 seasons, Fabric Scoop flat, Canyon VCLS seatpost, A600 pedals, Deda Superzero bars and stem.
  • Bontrager Ballista MIPS, DHB Aeron Speed bib shorts, DHB Roubaix bib tights, DHB windslam gloves, Castelli Difesa, Shimano RW5 winter boots.

Also recently bought a 2006 Specialized Transition Comp frameset and a HED carbon tri spoke front wheel as a project for building custom aero parts for time-trialling.

I've sold about £3000 of bikes and parts though. I sold my old road bike, old commute bike and old hack/commute/cx bike for the Canyon Ultimate and Whyte Wessex. I also managed to flip two vintage road bikes and a PlanetX bike that I bought for a few quid each (literally) and sold on for at least £150 each (after a bit of a clean)...

VonPinkhoffen | 6 years ago
2 likes

Clearly not enough as my wiggle discount got downgraded from platinum to gold.

Although I did buy a Frontier from Alpkit as a birthday present to myself...

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

The most ever, what with a new best bike, new shoes, new jacket, new wheels, new pedals...........

But DW said yes, so its ok 

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nat Jas Moe wrote:

The most ever, what with a new best bike, new shoes, new jacket, new wheels, new pedals...........

But DW said yes, so its ok 

That reminds me, forgot shoes and jacket but both were a bargain price, oh and a cheeky £350 front wheel that slipped my mindyes

Bollocks, spent £120 on 3 designer jerseys in my rugby clubs colours too, I'm sure there are more things I've forgotten!

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

Wiggle only knows.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Probably in the £2,500-£2,800 ballpark in total. Mind you, I did treat myself to my Strael with Ultegra level brakes and 105 groupset .

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

If I had to guess, I'd reckon somewhere near £5000. That does include a whole bike and some Prime wheels, but as it's a hobby, I regret nothing.

Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like

It varies, usually around £500-600, but I had to replace my 10 year old road bike this year (cracked frame) so that pushed the total nearer £1000. Not bad considering that all 4 of us use bikes to get to work/school etc.

Commuting by bike saves my car from at least 4,000 miles of fuel and wear and tear.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

£1300 on two pairs wheels
£250 on a NOS carbon frame
£550 on a Ti audax/tourer
£140 tyres
£15 new water bottles
£23 new rack
£40 brake pads
£26 derailleur
£36 chainsx3
£25 cassette
£40 CF flat bar
£20 stems x2
£25 Inner tubes x10
£34 Front and rear light (Spaninga)

Yeah, bit naughty this year but I won't spend much next year if anything.
I'm pretty much done bike wise for the foreseeable future and that means next 10 years. Have back up if my commuter gets written off, well stocked on components and service parts for next 3 years easily.

Redvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I dread to think 

Grahamd | 6 years ago
2 likes

Way more than I tell my wife!

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

I don't count it up.

sergius | 6 years ago
1 like

Too much if your my wife, not enough for me  1

(Including a new winter bike, around 2.5k)

Pages

Latest Comments