Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo help needed please.

I'm a new turbo user and the one I have is semi smart in that it doesn't offer automatic resistance changing. My question is If I'm using a video what do I have that tells me when to change resistance and to what value. I'll probably use Tacx own videos to start with as I can't access Zwift.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

Could you not just simply change the gears on your bike or is it a fixie/SS sad

HuggyHotspur replied to HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes
HLaB wrote:

I want to do hill training, not top speed so I'm trying to work out how to give the best interpretation.

HLaB replied to HuggyHotspur | 6 years ago
0 likes

HuggyHotspur wrote:
HLaB wrote:

I want to do hill training, not top speed so I'm trying to work out how to give the best interpretation.

Same applies, if the programme tells you to select a low resistance setting select a low gear if the program tell you select a high resistance setting select a high gear.  In the real world you'll probably be climbing up a hill in low gears but to develop the resistance/strength on the turbo you need to select the higher gear.  Its all about power than top speed, thats how I manage my fluid trainer which has no specific resistance settings either.  I work on power.

DaveE128 replied to HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

HLaB wrote:

HuggyHotspur wrote:
HLaB wrote:

Same applies, if the programme tells you to select a low resistance setting select a low gear if the program tell you select a high resistance setting select a high gear.  In the real world you'll probably be climbing up a hill in low gears but to develop the resistance/strength on the turbo you need to select the higher gear.  Its all about power than top speed, thats how I manage my fluid trainer which has no specific resistance settings either.  I work on power.

This is correct and don't worry too much about the speed that your rear wheel is spinnng round - that's mostly irrelevant. What you need to focus on is getting the resistance (or power) and the cadence to what you need for your training plan.

If your turbo uses fluid resistance, the resistance increases significantly with speed. Less so with magnetic.

The feel (inertia etc) will be slightly different to real climbing but there isn't much you can do about that.

HuggyHotspur | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers. I have a Tacx Satori Smart which does indicate wattage and have done their ftp test already. Not sure I want to again for a while.

SellMatt | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at www.successcycling.co.uk DVD films. If you work out your Zones using the 3 minute test or FTP these are useful if your trainer shows your wattage. There is also a perceived effort, cadence and heartrate tab so you can train to these as well. The Paris Roubaix film is excellent.

HuggyHotspur | 6 years ago
0 likes

That's brilliant. Thanks for the reply.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
1 like

Depends on personal preference really, or the particular training video or gadget you are using.

I use TrainerRoad with a normal fluid trainer, and I have a target 'virtual power' to aim for.  Zwift I think is the same, or rather takes your virtual power output and converts it into forward motion on screen, taking into account the terrain.

What you are trying to achieve is to make the experience as representative as possible; so if you are on a steep hill in the video, then click up a few gears to increase the resistance so the cadence and power output/perceived exertion feels right to you... no exact science as all turbos are different.

Most videos eg Sufferfest, GCN that I've seen normally have an effort scale to aim at, rather than a resistance. See the worksheet on this link https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/49863043-mapping-ftp...

Latest Comments