Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cows hit (laundry advice needed :-( )

Apologies if this has already been answered a dozen times - I haven't found it...

Got back from a lovely pootle round some local lanes the other day, put the kit through its normal wash only to find some splash marks remaining on my nice new jersey. I'm assuming they came from the cow muck that was plentiful in places, plus whatever else may have been mixed into it. After trying a few different stain removers and a further two washes, the splash marks are still visible, though fainter. 

Any tips to get that stuff out completely will be much appreciated! 

Thanks. 

(edited for typos)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

ricardito | 6 years ago
1 like

Just an update for anyone interested...

I've taken to using the longest normal 40 degree cycle, with my usual non bio detergent, but adding two types of Vanish stain removers (stick and powder), only because they happened to be in the house. I could probably dial back on the stain removers (one at most), but as it's not hurting to use them, I've carried on. Anyway, that lot seems to be doing the job. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PS stopping for coffee is wrong? Now there's a "rule" worth ignoring 

barbarus | 6 years ago
3 likes

Don't worry, people don't really care what you look like out on the road. Online it's a different story. You will need to carefully Photoshop any stains out of social media photographs.

SingleSpeed replied to barbarus | 6 years ago
0 likes

barbarus wrote:

Don't worry, people don't really care what you look like out on the road. Online it's a different story. You will need to carefully Photoshop any stains out of social media photographs.

Absolutley...Mostly it's the Rapha lot with bikes above their ability that complain about such things...Or indeed quote these "Rules".

I've got lots of white kit that is now mostly grey. It's Lycra get over it,  fuck it smash in at 60 with everything else nothing bad will happen, make it smell nice.

If you're taking photgraphs of yourself and stopping for coffee breaks you're doing it wrong

Rapha Nadal replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
0 likes

SingleSpeed wrote:

barbarus wrote:

Absolutley...Mostly it's the Rapha lot with bikes above their ability that complain about such things...Or indeed quote these "Rules".

I've got lots of white kit that is now mostly grey. It's Lycra get over it,  fuck it smash in at 60 with everything else nothing bad will happen, make it smell nice.

If you're taking photgraphs of yourself and stopping for coffee breaks you're doing it wrong

Hey look! It's "that guy".

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Like WD40, white spirit is good for oily marks, maybe less so in this case.

White vinegar, perhaps in conjunction with baking soda, can be good for other grimy marks.

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

Really good for getting most stains out (provided it hasn't been cooked in to place first:

In a bucket put one scoop (normal amount for a load of washing) and hafl fill with hot water direct from tap (about 60deg). Add 1 measure of sard, or oxyclean or similar. Put your jersey in to soak for an hour or so (I don' think the time is that important) and then put through your normal wash. This gets most things including grease out. NB, WD40 will get grease / oil based stains out, but generally not organic based ones. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Low temperature washes are rubbish for getting stains out, despite the BS about 30 and 40C being hot enough to wash your kit it's often not enough to remove stains even with the best detergent.

If it's cow shit (or pretty much most organic splashes) next time, soak it in cold water first asap, nothing else, then try a bit of oxyclean (Or other proprietary stuff) if you can get hold of some.

Worse thing to do is simply wash it as this can often 'set' the stain into the garment.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

Good thread - wish I could bookmark it.

My tip for stinkiness is white vinegar - I've resurrected a few pieces which were bound for the bin. I usually spray it on underarms and pads, leaving it to soak for 30 mins before washing. It doesn't do much for most stains though.

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

"Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" is the stuff, via Google unless you get lucky. Extraordinarily good at getting rid of spots and chain oil on cycling gear (and anything else for that matter)

martynshort | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had stains on white sections of bubs and jerseys from cows hit and sun protection oils a few times, and the stain remover setting on our washing machine tends to get them out with just the usual non-bio powder and nothing else. They're in there for a couple of hours at 30°c but it's not failed me yet!

NorthEastJimmy | 6 years ago
1 like

I once got dirty chain grease on a brand new waterproof jacket and also could not get the stain out.  After multiple washes I'd pretty much accepted it was there to stay.  I read that WD40 can remove stains so sprayed some on, left it to soak and put it in a normal wash.  It totally removed the whole stain!

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

May I refer you to Rule #5  ?

ricardito replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

StraelGuy wrote:

May I refer you to Rule #5  ?

Only if I can then refer you to Rule #53  3

Latest Comments