Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wet riding essentials

As per the title what are the essentials for riding in our lovely Autumn/winter weather.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

drjohn | 7 years ago
2 likes
  1. Mudguards
  2. Overshoes
  3. Waterproof - to keep you warm. Gabba or simirra, if you have dorra
  4. Base layer (s) - to keep you dry
  5. Perverse enjoyment of miserable conditions (some people mistake this for being badass)

That's my essentials covered.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

On a related note, is anyone a silk liner sock/glove convert?

A friend was raving about them, so I bought a couple of pairs of 100% silk liner socks and a pair of liner gloves.

I find the socks unpleasant to wear, especially when they get damp. I've never used the gloves due to this, plus they are a little big and seam-y.

I much prefer the merino I've mentioned above - it's much nicer next to the skin when wet or dry.

Simon E replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
2 likes

dottigirl wrote:

I tried silk liner gloves. They didn't keep my fingers warm but my wrists got too hot (jacket/baselayer overlapping with 2 glove layers). Not what I wanted! Also, the stitching around two fingers unravelled so both are unprotected. Won't bother again.

Might try merino if I can find a pair that fits nicely.

Goldfever4 replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
2 likes

I use them on the motorbike, they do make a difference. I note they help with removing wet gloves - wearing inner gloves prevents the liner of the main glove from coming off with your hands. I can't imagine they're much fun if they get wet but I haven't experienced that wearing waterproof gloves. Never heard of big seam-y silk though....

dottigirl wrote:

A friend was raving about them, so I bought a couple of pairs of 100% silk liner socks and a pair of liner gloves.

I find the socks unpleasant to wear, especially when they get damp. I've never used the gloves due to this, plus they are a little big and seam-y.

I much prefer the merino I've mentioned above - it's much nicer next to the skin when wet or dry.

kil0ran replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

dottigirl wrote:

I've used silk liners under Altura neoprene outers for the last three winters. As with most of my winter kit they're Decathlon cheapies - £5.99 I think. If temp is over +5 I'll use them under track mitts (not recommended, as the silk won't take the abuse). 

They do the job for me under neoprene and keep the outers less stinky. Easy to wash and very quick to dry. Not had any issues with them getting damp but I shouldn't do as the outers are waterproof.

May give merino a go this time, I need to replace them for the winter. Have a merino mix base layer and shorts which I like.

nostaw | 7 years ago
1 like

Brought a Transpire base layer a few years ago.  One of the most important bits of my winter kit.
https://www.chillcheater.com/fabrics/transpire-fleece/

Canyon48 | 7 years ago
1 like

Here's my wet weather kit, in order of priority.

1. Winter bike
  2. Mudguards
  3. Overshoes
  4. Rain jacket
  5. Full finger gloves

Obviously, leg warmers and a base layer/long sleeve jersey are brought out as applicable due to temperature (rather than rain).

hughw | 7 years ago
1 like

+1 for a gabba, or whatever they call the long sleeved one now, or at least for 90% of the time.

There's still a time and a place for hard shells, because once a soft shell gets saturated, you get pretty cold. I managed to go for a ride in may, where half way through I got hit by a really heavy shower, and I was properly cold by the time I got home.

I highly recommend the sportful neoprene gloves until it gets below zero, and which point they don't really cut the mustard any more. I'm currently exploring some seal skinz I borrowed, but I'm waiting for it to get properly cold before I decide.

I tend to wear full length tights for commuting, but I don't tend to get particularly cold legs, so they aren't fleecy or anything like that.

My 2p anyway

Hugh

dottigirl replied to hughw | 7 years ago
1 like

hughw wrote:

I highly recommend the sportful neoprene gloves until it gets below zero, and which point they don't really cut the mustard any more. I'm currently exploring some seal skinz I borrowed, but I'm waiting for it to get properly cold before I decide.

My top winter tip: EDZ merino liner gloves are essential for giving the outer gloves a boost:

http://amzn.to/2w4wEJy

They're thin enough to fit under and make both my autumn and winter gloves more comfortable too - there's no seams, and if I get soaked, my hands stay warmer. Another benefit is if you need to take clunky outer gloves off, you won't totally freeze your hands. I note Seakskinz do their own version, but I haven't tried them yet:

http://amzn.to/2eSSwg5

Icebreaker and Smartwool have a similar offerings for over twice as much, but I wouldn't spend more than a tenner as even the expensive merino wears through quite quickly (in fact, the higher the %, the better they are but the shorter they last - the EDZ usually last one winter, though I still use some from longer back), plus gloves are the kind of thing I'm afraid of losing.

Simon E replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

My top winter tip: EDZ merino liner gloves are essential for giving the outer gloves a boost:

http://amzn.to/2w4wEJy

Thanks. I have bought a pair (they are also on ebay at the same price).

Talking of base layers, I like merino - howies NBL light (very fine, feels like a thin cotton t-shirt) and Endura baabaa.

A cycling cap is one of the things I value most in the rain. Takes up very little space in a jersey pocket but is great for keeping the rain off one's head and shielding the eyes.

hoski | 7 years ago
1 like

Rainlegs, you know it makes sense.

ktache | 7 years ago
2 likes

A sunny disposition.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

1 gabba
2 warm/waterproof gloves
3 arm warmers (nanoflex or norain)
4 knee warmers
5 waterproof shoe covers

Items listed in order needed as weather gets worse.

Grahamd | 7 years ago
1 like

If you're planning a long ride check that your coffee stop is open before setting out. Nothing worse than looking forward to warm cuppa and break from the weather, only to find it closed!

Goldfever4 replied to Grahamd | 7 years ago
1 like

Oh man, that would suck.

Grahamd wrote:

If you're planning a long ride check that your coffee stop is open before setting out. Nothing worse than looking forward to warm cuppa and break from the weather, only to find it closed!

kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

Overshoes - because mudguards are never good enough to keep your feet dry

Two pairs of socks, thermal over lightweight liner

3/4 bibs with Super Roubaix or similar fleece lining

Neoprene gloves with silk inners

Thermal skull cap that covers ears.

Merino base layer, standard jersey and windproof jacket

Lightweight waterproof for wet days, which are surprisingly few and far between for me.

The above does me just fine in south coast minimimum temperatures - I've ridden in -5 air temp (no idea of windchill) and arrived at work toasty.

NorthEastJimmy | 7 years ago
1 like

Merino everything all the way, life saver.  

* Thin merino socks followed by thick merino socks.  Toe covers for cold with overshoes if cold and wet.

* Merino mesh baselayer with another merino baselayer if cold enough.

* Merino arm warmers if dry, otherwise the windproof or waterproof does the job.

* Thin merino hat under helmet.  The one item that really makes me enjoy riding in extremely cold weather is the merino collar that covers my mouth, ears and neck and is held in place by the hat.  

don simon fbpe | 7 years ago
1 like

Merino socks for what passes as summer.

Thick merino socks for winter.

yes

Paul7189 | 7 years ago
1 like

Would you all say your normal summer bibshorts are fine for winter riding? Do you just add some leg warmers or change them completely?

davel replied to Paul7189 | 7 years ago
1 like
Paul7189 wrote:

Would you all say your normal summer bibshorts are fine for winter riding? Do you just add some leg warmers or change them completely?

I've got bib tights that I'll probably dig out in a few weeks unless we have a shock Indian summer. Then the proper winter/thermal stuff comes out around 5°.

Redvee replied to Paul7189 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Paul7189 wrote:

I wear the sam bibshorts year round and add knee warmers when cold enough or revert to 3/4 bibs. I have exposed skin on my calves year round, I don't have any full length tights. I think I've got some overshoes somewhere but not 100% sure but do have some toe covers to take the chill away from my toes.

ktache | 7 years ago
5 likes

There was those couple of weeks in June.

brooksby | 7 years ago
3 likes

How is our autumn/winter weather any different from our spring/summer weather?

danleb85 | 7 years ago
2 likes

In addition to the waterproofs and guards etc already mentioned I would add a decent skull cap certainly for the deepest winter period.

The one I used last year also had small flaps for the ears to help with the biting wind. My commute rides some times start at 5am so keeping my ears warm was a lovely feeling that early in the morning when it's tough to walk out the door and definitely helped me keep riding through the worst of the weather.

Leviathan | 7 years ago
2 likes

Grit, on the road and in your soul.

Al__S | 7 years ago
3 likes

Long rear mudguard. Needs to end below axle level. This isn't so much for you- it's for your mate on your wheel

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
6 likes

Smart trainer, laptop, internet and fan  1

Goldfever4 replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Oh no, not this again

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Smart trainer, laptop, internet and fan  1

In order of priority: Leg warmers/tights, gloves, waterproof, overshoes, hat.

drosco | 7 years ago
2 likes

Overshoes, waterproof if possible. Decent mudguards are a must, good gloves. I have a decathlon waterproof jacket which is just amazing too.

Welsh boy | 7 years ago
1 like

Neoprene oversoes, warm gloves, shower proof jacket.

Latest Comments