Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelset debate. Prime, Hunt, Parcours etc

Hi all,

in the market for a new wheelset and i'm sure i'm not alone in wondering what the best all round set is for a given budget. looking at sub £900 which i know is a decent budget and should get a good set. The issue is in decifering the difference between brands and carbon vs alloy. 

Prime and Hunt both offer a 30-40 mm set for under £900 weighing around 1450g, so light, parcours also offer similar. I'm fuller aware they're probably built in the same or neighbouring factories in the Far East and are just rebranded for UK sale with a premium attached.

The spanner in the works is hunt also offer an alloy set, for around half the price, even less, that weigh the same or less and are only a few mm shallower, negligible. I wonder if the premium for carbon is actually worth it when considering the allow version.

My usual riding is relatively high milage, over relatively varied terrain, hense not wanting to go deep section, the odd crit, the odd time trial and the odd drive down to the alps (camping on the cheap) for some mountains. So i'd rather fork out for a decent all round set in the Zipp 303 vein, just without the extra 1500 quid required!

anyone have any eperience of any of the above or any other advice?

cheers

Prime

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-rp-38-carbon-clincher-road-whee...

Hunt carbon

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/product...

Hunt alloy 

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/product...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Ashleysfox@gmail.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have the same dilemma as OllieD. I was looking at either a set of hunts or I saw these http://rideflux.co.uk/product/flux-240r/
From a firm in Rutland. 2 year warranty and a good review from Bikeradar.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/produc...

drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just got a set direct from Yishun. Not ridden them yet, but suspect unless Hunt and chain reaction make their own hubs and 38mm rims, they'll end up performing pretty much the same. Time will tell.

chickpea | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a pair of Wheelsmith Aero 38s, and they've been great.  I've done two seasons on them now and they've been faultless.  I got them on his own brand hubs, which if I'd had the budget, is the only thing I'd change - they're loud!

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

OllieD,

If doing lots of miles, I'd suggest some DT Swiss 240s hub combo with some shallow alloy rim. For example, DCR wheels guys can build you a DT Swiss 240s hubs with wide alloy rim and Sapim CX-Rays for 700GBP. With that you get amazing wheelset...alternatively, think about DT Swiss RR21 Dicut (same 240s hubs) with DT Swiss spokes for 500ish. You might even stretch to Chris King hubs with some combinations.

In both cases, you have maintenance free hubs wtih great bearings and super easy, tool-free maintenance. I am in the similar boat as you and I am actually thinking between the two DT Swiss 240s mentioned options. 

Also think of it as investment (hubs) as you'll be able to put carbon rims tomorrow when alloy wears out. Once on, the combo might be even better than Zipps (arguably) and a lot cheaper.

Anyone seen my ... (not verified) | 7 years ago
0 likes

Might be worth having a chat with a wheel-builder instead of buying something off the peg.  I'm a big fan of Harry Rowlands who built me a bomb-proof set of wheels ideal for UK roads (that compare favourably for comfort and durability over my factory made wheels - Shamals and 404s (both in your price range) - and, incidentally, also with my Hed Belgiums on R45s... 

GBP900 would get you some excellent rims on cracking hubs  1 

OllieD | 7 years ago
0 likes

In short then, better going for the alloy version! Ive never had any complaints about the comfort of my bike anyway, it just fits me. Running tubeless will add a little more comfort anyway, plus the wider rim than i'm on at the moment!

Thanks for the input, all, alloy it is!

fullers1979 | 7 years ago
0 likes

The biggest difference between Hunts carbon and alloy wheels (other than the price!) is the width. The carbons are around 5mm wider, which should help with the comfort aspect. 

Paul5f | 7 years ago
1 like

I have the hunt alloys you are looking at and they are excellent. I think they must have decent bearings as they roll very fast especially with the tubeless shwalbe tyres. Another plus is the braking surface provides much better braking than my previous rims. I've looked at their carbon wheels and they appear to have the same bearings so you would be paying a lot of extra money for either a slightly deeper wheel or to save 100 grams, plus any extra dampening you would get from carbon wheels.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've two pairs of hunt wheelset. Both are disc versions i paid £349 for the all season and £249 for their basic set. I would pay a little extra and get the all season, nicer looking rims and hubs. Both work perfectly fine. No complaints. I run them both tubeless

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

The new carbon Hunts look very sexy indeed. I have 2 sets of Hunts (nowhere near as fancy as the carbon ones, mind) and one of the deciders in my mind was the local UK support. If you bust a spoke in a Mavic rim, just for example, you can be snookered. If you bust a spoke on a Hunt you could just email them and they'd probably chuck a couple in the post for you.

Latest Comments