Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

The re-introduction of road tax

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
0 likes

Purely electric vehicles will still have zero VED.

This is closing the loophole on hybrids (mainly large SUV's that have large petrol motors and an electric motor with 50 miles range) that means these large polluitng vehicles will now have to pay.

Al__S | 7 years ago
0 likes

For reference, this the Highways England SRN map.

Al__S | 7 years ago
2 likes

The ringfencing is specifically for the "Strategic Road Network"- that is, Motorways and Trunk Roads. I'd be happy to be banned from cycling on the main carriageways of the SRN if Highways England (etc) upgraded it all to meet the standards of their own IAN 195/16. One can but dream.

Of course, idiot drivers won't understand this point- that the tax will specifically NOT fund the vast majority of the road network, especially in town and in the countryside.

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
1 like

This is the bit that I was talkjmg about:

"The money raised for this will be paid into a roads fund to help towards the upkeep of the UK's motorway and roads network."

for/from error aside, doesn't this mean even more motorists will feel entitled to run non-motorists of the road?

ClubSmed replied to DaveE128 | 7 years ago
0 likes

DaveE128 wrote:

This is the bit that I was talkjmg about: "The money raised for this will be paid into a roads fund to help towards the upkeep of the UK's motorway and roads network." for/from error aside, doesn't this mean even more motorists will feel entitled to run non-motorists of the road?

I think the key element in that statement is "help towards". The VED may be fully ringfenced for spending on the road network but it will take far more money than that to maintain and grow them so cyclists will still be contributing through their taxes.

*Though as the average motorist doesn't seem to know how roads are funded now they are unlikely to know any better when the new system comes into effect

Grahamd | 7 years ago
3 likes

They can't do this as the Conservative manifesto said they would not increase taxes, oh hang on ...

hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

BBC Tim Bowler wrote:

The way we pay road tax will change significantly from 1 April and it is something to consider if you're going to be buying a new car.

Is it my imagination, or does the BBC not bother proof reading articles for obvious mistakes?

Can they not understand that no-one currently pays road tax?

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

BBC Tim Bowler wrote:

The way we pay road tax will change significantly from 1 April and it is something to consider if you're going to be buying a new car.

Is it my imagination, or does the BBC not bother proof reading articles for obvious mistakes?

Can they not understand that no-one currently pays road tax?

They're better than the Grauniad website. But in their defence, I think the article says road tax is formally known as vehicle excise duty.

brooksby | 7 years ago
2 likes

Like the article says: the powers that be have been encouraging people to get more efficient and/or less polluting vehicles and have suddenly cottoned on that this means a great fall in revenue from VED. So, change the rules so you pay VED even if your car is driven by unicorn tears and fairy dust.

Latest Comments