Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Dirty Reiver - anybody done it? Jacket choice..

I'm doing it this year, and although I seem to have most things dialled (bike, tyres, kit layout on bike, training etc) I do have one little query - The rules regarding essential kit state that I have to have a waterproof jacket with taped or welded seams as standard.  The only jacket I have that fulfills this requirement is my proper posh Mammut one.  Although reluctant to use it, I have tried it out on a couple of rides and have decided that although it preforms well against the ingress of rain, it is a bit of a 'boil in the bag' kind of jacket and is a bit of a pain to pack when it gets warmer as it is a tad too bulky.  The jacket I want to take is a Mavic one which is 'showerproof', is pretty breathable and packs up small but doesn't have taped seams.  Would this be ok?  And has anybody tried even using Fabsil on their jackets to enhance it's waterproof qualities?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Miller | 7 years ago
0 likes

The crossing was at around 70km on last year's route, dunno if it's any different this year.

Don't get your feet and shoes wet is my advice. And forget the drop bag thing, I'm not sure it worked well last year, just take what you need in a small rucksack.

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to take mine off completely I think, roll my leggins up and just strut across bare foot!

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

This is of interest to me actually. Especially the bit about the river crossing. I was definitely thinking spare socks.... Is the crossing before or after the 100k mark, as obvs you could put socks in the drop bag too. Wet ones and clean ones.

0 likes

Can the Altura Nevis be packed up small enough for a jersey pocket?

Stuk replied to mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

mattydubster wrote:

Can the Altura Nevis be packed up small enough for a jersey pocket?

Probably not and it's not too aero or anything. I kept mine on but it maintained a decent working temperature through the range of weather conditions.

Stuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

I wore an Altura Nevis jacket that I spotted on sale on the way up. Just that and a baselayer was fine for the variety of conditions.(I had multiple layers at the start but most got stripped before the start of the timed section) I also had waterproof socks from a company well known for it's waterproof socks and whilst this didn't totally shield me from the river it kept things comfortable for the remainder of the ride. 

Miller | 7 years ago
0 likes

For the river crossing a sensible approach is to take shoes and socks off then paddle through (ouch ouch ouch) barefoot. It's fairly deep and with another 120km to go you don't want wet feet.

dottigirl replied to Miller | 7 years ago
0 likes

Miller wrote:

For the river crossing a sensible approach is to take shoes and socks off then paddle through (ouch ouch ouch) barefoot. It's fairly deep and with another 120km to go you don't want wet feet.

The thing with waterproof socks is that you have to tape them at the top to keep water out (otherwise they're just buckets), and sweat can become a problem.

Washing your feet and changing socks could be a good plan, while keeping your shoes dry.

crazy-legs replied to Miller | 7 years ago
0 likes

Miller wrote:

There were a few people taking that approach last year. I think that once your feet get that cold though, trying to dry them off (in the rain) and put socks and shoes back on isn't going to make that much difference....

Sods Law, it'll be 20 degrees and not a cloud in the sky this time round and everyone will be grateful of the chance to cool off!

0 likes

Cheers for that guys.  I have some decent base layers sussed out, including waterproof socks for the river crossing!  Think I'll definitely get another jacket with taped seams though as I really don't want to use my posh jacket, and I really don't want to get caught out on the day either..

crazy-legs | 7 years ago
0 likes

I did it last year and we had every type of weather going - snow, sleet, rain, hail, sunshine...

No-one did any sort of kit check. I supect there'd have been a riot had someone sat there at the start in sub-zero temperatures asking to see waterproof jackets!

I can't even remember what I wore - might have been my Endura softshell. You do need to take every piece of kit you own though and just make a call on the day, it can be VERY cold out there but over the course of 200km, you are likely to get a range of weather. There is a river crossing too - you might want a change of socks that you can put on once you've crossed...

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
2 likes

Given where the Dirty Reiver is held, a showerproof jacket will often be shredded by the wind... Even if it holds together, driving horizontal rain will swiftly pass through it like it's not there. Exposure & hypothermia are not fun. They make items compulsory for your benefit, not theirs.

kevvjj | 7 years ago
1 like

It states you need a jacket with welded or taped seams... you may have to borrow one if you aren't going to purchase one. You can get a fully seame sealed/waterproof jacket for £20 from Decathlon.

0 likes

Oh and I should point out that after 5 years of bike and gear buying and subsequently having a young family, buying a posh new jacket would never get the go ahead from my boss  3

Latest Comments