Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Repair or replace? Fulcrum 3s

Through a series of unfortunate events I have broken first my front and then my rear wheel (Fulcrum Racing 3s) on seperate occasions.

The front has a snapped spoke (right in the middle) and a scuffed/gouged section on the braking surface. This happened in a low speed crash. Pics – Font pic 1 Front pic 2

The rear has a dent/bulge in the rim from hitting a beast of a pothol. Still rolls fairly true, but as soon as the breaks are applied, there is a huge clunking when the bulge hits the pads. Pics – Rear pic 1 Rear pic 2 (hard to see I'm afriad)

My question: Is it worth repairing both of these or just buying a new set?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

They can be repaired

Front with a new spoke and then sand down the damage to the brake track to smooth it out with some fine sand paper & then some wet and dry

The rear can be straightend by bending the brake track back out, seen much worse wheels than this being repaired on a bmx forum using a home made tool

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110852.0.html

Now some people wouldnt trust them after that and would tell you to just throw them in the bin

Personally it wouldnt bother me and id just keep an eye on the areas to see if they got any worse over time

If your not confident in doing the above then chuck em on ebay and someone will buy them to repair or for spares/repair their own wheels if they have knackered hubs etc....

Latest Comments