Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Talla & Coulter - A question for Scottish cyclists

I often climb Talla (~20% in places but Strava says some bits 35%!) and Coulter (~18%), and in my late 50s I am relatively comfortable with my top 25% times, but these are achieved at a ridiculously low cadence of about 1. I have semi compact (52/36) front and 11-28 rear, but find 36/28 a real slog on these hills. I am in two minds about whether to go for an 11-32 cassette (which needs a new rear derailleur), or just to man up and take the pain as 11-32 is for wimps!  What do others use on this type of hill?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

nortonpdj | 7 years ago
0 likes

In support of Griff500, I fitted a (10 speed) SRAM 11-32 with an Ultegra short cage for a recent trip to the Grand Colombier with the (soon to be famous) 22% pitch from Virieu le Petit for those who have already seen the TdF2017 parcours. Works fine. Shimano say that 28 is the max, but it's not.

Good luck.

Charlie-CarbsAn... | 7 years ago
3 likes

Get an 11-32 definitely

You don't need to change the derailleur, the short cage works perfectly with an 11-32, just screw the b-screw in and you are sorted, I have it on my bike and it works great in every combination, even cross chaining. 

Spinners are winners

Griff500 replied to Charlie-CarbsAndCycling | 7 years ago
0 likes

spinner98 wrote:

Get an 11-32 definitely

You don't need to change the derailleur, the short cage works perfectly with an 11-32, just screw the b-screw in and you are sorted, I have it on my bike and it works great in every combination, even cross chaining. 

Spinners are winners

Thanks, I might give that a go, although I have heard that hangar length etc can also have an impact, so the short cage works better on some bikes than others.

Good to see that a whole bunch of regulars on here are all pointing in the same direction. Thanks all.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
2 likes

If you can go faster uphill but with more comfort and less effort then who gives a shit what others think?

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
1 like

I am in my late 40's and likewise hills are a bane!

On a std 53/39 - 10 speed - I was running a 12-30 cassette - with 23mm tyres - giving a lowest gear GI of 34.2.

This is very similar to what you are running with the 52/36 and 11-28 (assuming 23mm tyres - gives a GI of 33.9), but like you my cadence dropped off considerably when attacking hills.

If I am specifically going out looking for hills, or doing a rolling/hilly sportive - I am now using a 50/34 compact (11 speed) running 11-32 and 28 mm tyres.

This gives a low gear GI of 28.3, which means I can up the cadence to keep a better/steadier pace (not necessarily a faster speed) or can pedal at a lower cadence without stalling.

But I'm sure there are lots that will not go near a compact (some velominati shit...)...or just tell you don't upgrade ride up grades or that you should run a 25 max on the rear and MTFU...

Do whatever makes you comfortable.

On the 53/39 with the 12-30 there was no need to change to a mid derailleur...or if you're in the market for a fresher gruppo go for a WiFli (SRAM) and climb like a mountain goat with the spread that gives...

Just keep cycling and enjoy it one day at a time...like me...

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

Same as you, semi-compact and 11-28. Only went to Talla once to check it out (bit of a ride from Edinburgh) and found it was a proper slog. If I was doing it regularly, I'd go 11-32 to be honest. Still be tough but I think times will improve.

I hill repeat on the semi and recently took the winter bike with a compact to see the difference.

No difference really. Times were faster on the semi (both 11-28). Then again, I wasn't fresh trying it, but even still.. clearly it's not making a huge difference to me.

I'd definitely think about the 11-32 if properly doing gradients and wanting better times.

Dutchie | 7 years ago
1 like

It just depends on what you feel is right. I'm probably somewhere near you on the Talla climb, done on either 30x23 or 34x25. I'm about to change the bikes to 30x25 and 36x28 as Talla isn't very pleasant and i really struggled on the Bealach earlier this year. Other people will go up it with bigger gears than me but go slower: I need a high cadence.

How often do you actually use 52x11 in anger? Would changing to 50x34 be an option?

Griff500 replied to Dutchie | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dutchie wrote:

It just depends on what you feel is right. I'm probably somewhere near you on the Talla climb, done on either 30x23 or 34x25. I'm about to change the bikes to 30x25 and 36x28 as Talla isn't very pleasant and i really struggled on the Bealach earlier this year. Other people will go up it with bigger gears than me but go slower: I need a high cadence.

How often do you actually use 52x11 in anger? Would changing to 50x34 be an option?

Thanks for the input.

I do use 52x11 a fair bit, particularly on that route, with its long downhill sections. I did consider changing cahinrings, but 36 to 34 is only a 6% change and probably not worth the effort. Once fitted, a medium cage would give me more versatility and tbh I don't understand why Shimano and the bike manufacturers bother with the short cage. 

Latest Comments