Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero rims and side winds?

I was out the other day and despite have normal rims, I was getting blow all over the shop. I've been thinking of upgrading the wheels but do you take a big hit when it comes to side winds?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

No, just the tubs are not as robust as the GP 4000SII I run with latex tubes on the alloy wheels I have. 

Wheels are fine, not sure how aero they are compared to a £2k pair of Enves but I'm guessing not 75% less so.

Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I run 38mm front 50mm rear Farsports 25mm wide U shaped tubs and have never found them a problem, even in the farm gate scenario. They are sub 1300g and I'll only be taking them off because punctures are getting to be an issue. As far as the rider goes my weight and height are the only 2 things I have in common with Nairo Quintana. 

tritecommentbot replied to Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Nixster wrote:

I run 38mm front 50mm rear Farsports 25mm wide U shaped tubs and have never found them a problem, even in the farm gate scenario. They are sub 1300g and I'll only be taking them off because punctures are getting to be an issue. As far as the rider goes my weight and height are the only 2 things I have in common with Nairo Quintana. 

You think the rims are prone to causing you punctures? Interested in Farsports wheelsets myself.

khisanth | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have had a few hairy moments with my 60mm deep wheels, but only with big gusts of wind and I was not blown off the road. It just felt worse than it was.

If it is really gusty and a really windy day I will usually stick on shallow wheels, otherwise it does not bother me.

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

[edited - moved a comma for clarity]

Summary of above: you may or may not have problems!

I believe newer rim profiles are a bit better in crosswinds, but depending on:

- Your bike set-up

- The specific wheels

- The speed you cycle

- Your weight

- Where you cycle (how often the weather is strongly gusty)

- Other factors I've not thought of

you may find that deep sections are fine.

My experience: I ride 50mm deep carbon tubulars (sub-1400g wheelset) with the old-style profile, when the roads are dry (so perhaps not the very gustiest of the weather that the UK can throw at us), and while I notice a side wind catch the front wheel very occasionally, it's never been a problem.  I can only remember one time when it actually caused a proper wobble.  That said, it is exceptionally rare that I take both hands off the bars, and I would only take one hand off for indicating and taking on water/fuel.  So my position on the bike is pretty solid.

Any chance you could borrow a pair of deep wheels to see how you get on?

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wheels with wide, flat spokes seem to get blown about a bit too but why take the chance of being blown around on some deep rims unless it's a race, it's not a lot of fun ? 

Yorkshie Whippet | 7 years ago
0 likes

My experience is it depends on rider weight and rim material.  I'm 67kg, had a set of 52mm carbons and 60mm Planet X. Both scary as hell. Got a set of 40mm carbon American Classic which calmed things down. Also ride 40mm Fulcrum Quattros which are solid in all conditions, as are 32mm Swiss Side Francs.

I'm guessing there's also an effect of the frame, I.e. Aero frame is more likely to catch the wind. 

Kent H | 7 years ago
0 likes

70kg rider here. I have 55's front and rear on my Propel - whilst riding in strong crosswinds requires more care than usual (particularly around breaks in hedges as mentioned above) I've found winds gusting up to 60kph are easily manageable. The only real scare I've had was descending at 70kph in to a strong head wind (50kph+) - not quite sure what happened, but as speed increased my front wheel seemed to start loosing traction, steering became vague and I started losing control. Scrubbing speed fixed the problem - have never had this issue on that particular descent before or since .

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think it's largely dependent on the rider. I'm about 80kg +/- 2 kg and ridden up to 80mm rims in all sorts of conditions, including 65mm rims in a race where road signs were being blown over. I found only marginal change in the handling compared to my normal 25 mm riims. Considering the side wards body area of a person (+ 2 x 20mm wheels and tyres) is +/- .6 sq.m  (Fruin) and the area of 2 x 80mm wheels  brings this to .7 sq.m or 2 x 65mm wheels .68 sq.m. the wheel area adds only 12 - 15% to the area, the wind effect on your body is going to be the far greater influence. Having said that people feel it differently. I rode a 1/2 ironman TT in 30 mph  (largely x-winds) and was comfortable on 80mm rims, but talking to one of the pros (10 kg lighter than me,whose time was similar to mine) and he complained about being blown all over the place. I'd assume skill level to be similar, him with smaller body area to me so lighter weight and greater wheel - body ratio.

Personally I don't think wheel depth up to 65mm makes much handling difference except in the harshest of conditions. 

maviczap | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had some 50mm RS80s but i sold them after having a few moments, mostly down to gaps in the hedges and gusts catching me out. Being a slow coach i couldnt go fast enough to get them in the sweet spot, so that was another reason to get rid of them. I did experiment with just the rear wheel in, and that was fine. Only when i had the 50mm front in, did i have problems.

I weigh about 70kg and have puny thin arm muscles.

Ive got a couple of sets of 30mm deep alu wheels, and i don't have any issues at all with those and they always feel faster than my other wheels.

I've considered my best option would be a 50mm rear and a 30/35mm front.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry... My flat "yes" was based on gusty weather and, to be fair, the tallest I've ever ridden is 50mm on 25mm tyres.

Fairly steady winds aren't much of an issue by comparison.

The farm gate one is a classic. Had a few scary experiences because of that as a youngster.

I'm old now and smart enough to roll up in the duvet if the anemometer goes over 30 unless I'm commuting... Still unbeaten by the wind in that mode.

keirik | 7 years ago
0 likes

I find the main issue is if you are riding in the country and go past a field gateway and the blast from the side can physically shift you towards the middle of the road, but to be fair if you're aware of it it's manageable in all but the strongest winds

Still prefer riding my cosmics to not riding them though

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wondered this too and asked the question on another forum.  Got some vague replies ranging from not bothered, too the outright terrified and had to sell them. 

Ended up asking them to put down the wind/gust speeds and bodyweight when replying and it didn't help either.

Seems like best guys can ride deep sections like 50+ in winds 20 to 30mph, but say to watch out on the descents in case a gust catches you - can get a bit hairy if you're pushing it.

Some people just fall apart, even in the mid teens. Too nervous. 

Bodyweight wasn't a huge factor, with some light guys having good control too, but generally, the heavier the rider the deeper they seemed to feel comfortable with (some heavy guys weren't comfortable).

Not helpful right!

Anyway, the missus got some 62mm Reynolds with her Aeroad. I waited for a really windy day in August (24mph/30mph gust) to take them out for a quick one off spin before I sold them. Loved it. Fucking immense lol. Wow, I can see why people get spendy on deep section carbon wheels. They sort of float over the ground and the noise.. sooo addictive. Anyway, the wind, yep, it tugs at you on the gusts, but actually, nothing that would make me leave the 62mms at home. (I was 84kg then by the way).

I have 35mm alu rims and rode those in 40mph gusts one day. That was hell. Side wind was really side on and I had to slow it all the way down and lean into the wind. Felt like someone tied a string to the front wheel and was pulling at it. Nasty. 

Maybe it depends on the rim shape/quality. Can these new rim shapes really make that much difference? I don't know, not enough experience.

I do know that I will definitely buy a cheaper chinese pair of carbon rims, 45 or 50mm, next spring - just feels too good. Reynolds were too posh for me to keep, I'd be fine with something half the price. They'll get battered on my roads.

flobble replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Can these new rim shapes really make that much difference?

Yes. One of the key developments has been a rounder rim shape so that the front half of the wheel (tyre leading) is similar to the rear half of the wheel (rim leading). Then in gusts from the side,  you get similar forces on front and rear, and much less tendency to turn the wheel unexpectedly.

unconstituted wrote:

I do know that I will definitely buy a cheaper chinese pair of carbon rims, 45 or 50mm, next spring - just feels too good. Reynolds were too posh for me to keep, I'd be fine with something half the price. They'll get battered on my roads.

Be careful on this - if the chinese rims aren't don't have the same aerodynamic qualities as the Reynolds rims, you may not have such a good experience on windy days. They've be much the same on still days though.

I run a HED Jet+ 60mm in front and Hed Jet+ 90mm or disc rear on my TT bike. There have been a few interesting moments, notably descending at speed on an elevated motorway (closed road for the record), but I've never regretted using them because of the wind. I find that being relaxed and "going with the flow" in the gusts is just fine.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
2 likes

Yes.

Latest Comments