Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fulcrum Racing Zero or Shimano Dura ace 9000 C24

Time for some new wheels and these 2 seem to fit the bill.I've no experience of Fulcrum wheels but friends with ceramic bearing hubs seem pretty impressed with them.Any words of wisdom out there for me?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yep Zondas/Fulcrum R3 seem to me about the sweet spot for performance/value. And they have the Record hub, the best hub ever made some say.

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

Don't think you'll go wrong with the Fulcrums.

I have some Fulcrum Racing 5s which came on my race bike (2009,  but bought in 2010) and they've been great.  These days they get a beating on my winter bike on some duff roads in Oxfordshire, but still run true and spin very well (having received very little maintenance).  

joeegg | 7 years ago
1 like

Right,the racing 3's have been ordered.

If the claimed weights for my original wheels,DT rebranded Syncros,and the Fulcrums are correct then the Fulcrums will be a tad heavier,although the Syncros give a feeling of spinning blancmange.

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

Usually I would say "Zondas" (basically a Racing 3 with different rear lacing), but that Merlin R3/tubes/GP4k deal is too good to pass up - go for it!

The Racing 5 LGs with GP4000 IIs & tubes at £207 are also an absolute steal; I rode a pair of 5 LGs for 2000km in the Pyrenees and thought they were absolutely fantastic for the money. At 83kg, I noticed that they gave away some stiffness to my Zondas, but fine wheels all the same.

Given your budget, I think the extra hundred quid for the 3s is money well spent.

700c | 7 years ago
1 like

@joegg Yes and yes!

joeegg | 7 years ago
2 likes

Being from Yorkshire the thought of saving some money is music to my ears

Merlin have an offer on with the Fulcrum Racing 3's.

£314 inc Conti GP4000 tyres and tubes.I assume these are the same as Zondas?Good deal ?

Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
1 like

just get a pair of zondas from pbk or merlin..  1 put the rest of the money for decent tyres-tubes.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnolo-pr-whls-zonda-black-clincher-ca...

check out the reviews at wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

1445 reviews so far..

700c | 7 years ago
1 like

..also to second Simon E's point about diminishing returns and value for money - if you werent fussed about at ceramic bearings and those last few grams then for £270 at Wiggle campag zonda (aka fulcrum racing 3) are hard to beat. They are so stiff that I doubt you'd really feel the ~ 110g penalty.

Having ridden both brands' more budget offerings - these and shimano's RS80 c24 both are great value, the campags win on stiffness, the shimano's win on comfort.

Objectively it's hard to justify spending twice as much when what's available at around £300 is so good.

Grahamd replied to 700c | 7 years ago
1 like

700c wrote:

..also to second Simon E's point about diminishing returns and value for money .

This echoes the chat I had with Stu Kerton whilst on one of the Road CC group rides. Stu did point out a few alternatives, and after raising a question on this forum I bought the Shimano RS81 and have no regrets.

700c | 7 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't buy a set of wheels/ cranks etc just because they have ceramic bearings, (and personally think there's better things to spend your money on than 'upgrading' all your bearings to ceramic). Decent ones do run exceptionally smoothly, however, and tend to last longer (harder, won't rust). May need a bit more maintenance. The ones used by campag/ fulcrum are good. Ultimately though, they will wear out and then you'll be in for a shock replacing them! $$$

As for the wheels themselves, it's not just bearings or weight, but stiffness too. I imagine both are pretty good in this regard and certainly the campag ones I've used are.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Dont buy ceramic bearings, unless you have some money to literally waste.  Yes they have 0.000003 % or whatever less friction than standard bearings.  They are designed for high speed applications with no impact forces.   Wear rates are poor compared to decent hub bearing manufacturers.   Do a little googling to find out

Simon E replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Dont buy ceramic bearings, unless you have some money to literally waste.  Yes they have 0.000003 % or whatever less friction than standard bearings.  They are designed for high speed applications with no impact forces.   Wear rates are poor compared to decent hub bearing manufacturers.   Do a little googling to find out

+1. I listened to a recent interview with Keith Bontrager who was not a fan of ceramic bearings.

He was also not a fan of cartridge wheel bearings either but said thatr they sell them because gullible folk customers believe they're better. In his opinion cup-and-cone are an excellent solution for wheel bearings.

RS81s are £350 at Merlin, a little over half the price of Dura-Ace yet weight difference ~120g. You could spend the rest upgrading another component or put it towards a cycling holiday.

Latest Comments