All 80,000 places in the entry ballot for the 2014 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 are full and less than a month after it opened the ballot is now closed, organisers have announced.

There’s still been no word about just how many riders will take part in next year’s event, but applicants will be notified in February whether they have been successful.

Last year’s event took five months to reach 50,000 entries, a mark that this years ballot passed in 24 hours.

The Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 will be part of the second Mayor of London’s annual festival of cycling and will be run on Sunday August 10 2014. It will be preceded on Saturday August 9 by the RideLondon FreeCycle, a family event on closed roads around Westminster; and the RideLondon Grand Prix circuit races for women and juniors on Saturday evening. After the sportive riders have finished, the road course will be given over to professionals for the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “An eclectic cast of cyclists has registered to enter next year’s Prudential RideLondon festival, which promises to be bigger and better than ever. London will once again be transformed as tens of thousands of people test their two-wheeled mettle on the capital’s streets.”

David Hodge, Leader of Surrey County Council, said: “It is fantastic that so many people have signed up so quickly to cycle once again through Surrey’s glorious countryside. We look forward to welcoming thousands of people to next year’s celebration of pedal power, and this underlines Surrey’s prime position as a top cycling destination.”

More than 15,000 amateur cyclists finished the first Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 on Sunday 4 August 2013 after cycling 100 miles from Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, out through the capital and into the Surrey Hills before returning to a hero’s welcome on The Mall in central London.