We said you’d need to be quick. In the first 24 hours after registration opened for the 2014 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100, 50,000 people registered for the ballot to select next year’s participants. The ride on Sunday August 10 will be part of next year’s London Mayor’s festival of cycling.

The ballot will close when 80,000 people have registered. Alison Hamlett from the RideLondon press office tells us that they expect to hit 60,000 this afternoon, so while the deluge has abated to a medium-sized flood, you might still want to jump in quick.

Last year, the event took almost five months to hit 50,000 entries. Organisers London & Surrey Cycling Partnership, say they are delighted with the response.

Event director Hugh Brasher said: “The success of the inaugural Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 has galvanized people to take up this unique challenge, of being able to cycle on traffic-free streets, past iconic London landmarks and through beautiful Surrey countryside. It took us nearly five months to get to this landmark figure in the first year.”

More than 15,000 riders finished this year’s Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 from 20,000 entries and 16,500 starters. Finishers included Mayor of London Boris Johnson in a creditable eight hours and four minutes, while Jamie Wilkins of ProCycling magazine was the fastest finisher in 4:03:24.

It’s being widely assumed that there will be 20,000 spots available in the 2014 event but that number — and the 2014 route — hasn’t yet been decided by the organisers. “We will determine the number of places available next year after the debrief process,” Ms Hamlett said.