President Trump, it’s fair to say, doesn’t do understatement. And his keenness to see Detroit re-establish itself as a manufacturing centre for wheeled road transport is well known.
This new bike from a luxury sporting goods firm based in the Motor City may lack an internal combustion engine, but when it comes to bling, it ticks all the boxes – and a price tag of $35,000 means only the super-wealthy (and supremely lacking in taste) can afford one.
Called the Wheelmen, it’s made by Williamson Goods, and is copper- or chrome-plated and wrapped in python skin, together with a crocodile skin Brooks saddle.
Here’s what the company – which also produces a $6,250 crocodile skin football that thankfully conforms to NFL size and weight standards – says about the bike on its website:
Each Wheelmen bicycle is a custom-built masterpiece. The lavish finishings and details of this exceptional bicycle ensure that The Wheelmen is both work of art and mode of transportation like no other.
Williamson bicycles are hand brazed in Detroit using highest quality chromoly tubing. The frame, fork, lugs, and stem are all handmade by Williamson, with individual copper details and subtle logos brazed in place. Each component is wrapped with python or crocodile and hand sewn. Brake levers, gear system, pedals, and cranks are then assembled to your exact specifications.
According to the company, only 10 examples of each colourway on offer – black/copper, navy/copper, tan/copper and navy/chrome – will be made, although it adds that custom options such as white/copper and bespoke frame sizes are also available besides the standard small, medium and large varieties.
Here’s the full spec; don’t all rush at once .
– Custom copperplated frame, bars, stem, fork and posts handmade in Detroit, Michigan
– Frame, fork and posts hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Python
– Saddle and bars hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Crocodile
– Frame: Columbus chromoly steel
– Lugs: Nova, Python skin wrapped and Copper plated
– Stem: Modified Nitto / Copper plated
– Bars: Nitto / Copper plated
– Grips: Custom Brooks snake skin wrapped
– Wheels: Front– Velocity hub/rim
Rear Sturmey Archer 5 speed
Hub Velocity rim
– Cranks: Paul components
– Pedal: MKS with Brooks toe straps
– Saddle: Modified Brooks and some snake skin wrapped
– Fenders: Velo orange hammered fenders
– Nitto seat post copper plated
– Front/back lights: Vintage Schwinn/Union
– Lights: Modified and copper plated
– Tyres: Continental Supersport.
– Velo Orange Copper Plated Front Carrier Rack
– Copper Plated Adult Beverage Canister
– Black Leather Saddle Tool Bag
– Centre Kickstand.
Simon has been news editor at road.cc since 2009, reporting on 10 editions and counting of pro cycling’s biggest races such as the Tour de France, stories on issues including infrastructure and campaigning, and interviewing some of the biggest names in cycling. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, his background has proved invaluable in reporting on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, and the bike industry. He splits his time between London and Cambridge, and loves taking his miniature schnauzer Elodie on adventures in the basket of her Elephant Bike.