President Trump, it’s fair to say, doesn’t do understatement. And his keenness to see Detroit re-establish itself as a manufacturing centre for wheeled road transport is well known.
This new bike from a luxury sporting goods firm based in the Motor City may lack an internal combustion engine, but when it comes to bling, it ticks all the boxes – and a price tag of $35,000 means only the super-wealthy (and supremely lacking in taste) can afford one.
Called the Wheelmen, it’s made by Williamson Goods, and is copper- or chrome-plated and wrapped in python skin, together with a crocodile skin Brooks saddle.
Here’s what the company – which also produces a $6,250 crocodile skin football that thankfully conforms to NFL size and weight standards – says about the bike on its website:
Each Wheelmen bicycle is a custom-built masterpiece. The lavish finishings and details of this exceptional bicycle ensure that The Wheelmen is both work of art and mode of transportation like no other.
Williamson bicycles are hand brazed in Detroit using highest quality chromoly tubing. The frame, fork, lugs, and stem are all handmade by Williamson, with individual copper details and subtle logos brazed in place. Each component is wrapped with python or crocodile and hand sewn. Brake levers, gear system, pedals, and cranks are then assembled to your exact specifications.
According to the company, only 10 examples of each colourway on offer – black/copper, navy/copper, tan/copper and navy/chrome – will be made, although it adds that custom options such as white/copper and bespoke frame sizes are also available besides the standard small, medium and large varieties.
Here’s the full spec; don’t all rush at once .
– Custom copperplated frame, bars, stem, fork and posts handmade in Detroit, Michigan
– Frame, fork and posts hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Python
– Saddle and bars hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Crocodile
– Frame: Columbus chromoly steel
– Lugs: Nova, Python skin wrapped and Copper plated
– Stem: Modified Nitto / Copper plated
– Bars: Nitto / Copper plated
– Grips: Custom Brooks snake skin wrapped
– Wheels: Front– Velocity hub/rim
Rear Sturmey Archer 5 speed
Hub Velocity rim
– Cranks: Paul components
– Pedal: MKS with Brooks toe straps
– Saddle: Modified Brooks and some snake skin wrapped
– Fenders: Velo orange hammered fenders
– Nitto seat post copper plated
– Front/back lights: Vintage Schwinn/Union
– Lights: Modified and copper plated
– Tyres: Continental Supersport.
– Velo Orange Copper Plated Front Carrier Rack
– Copper Plated Adult Beverage Canister
– Black Leather Saddle Tool Bag
– Centre Kickstand.
Since BC is not a utility cycling champion why run this type of paid advert? Who is the target audience and why?...
It seems to involve a forced answer of questions - "are the subjects of these two photos more or less human than each other". If that's so, I'd...
10 years ago, they were producing some decent bikes that offered good vfm over the more established premium brands. But they are a pale shadow, and...
It usually costs money for the gadgets though, unless you just use your phone and a free Strava account.
I agree why cancel the event if the other pertacipentes are still safe...
Definitely this, 100%. Judges and juries also drive, so tend to not come down on "fellow drivers" that hard. Driving isn't taken seriously in...
Of course .303 rounds would likely cause some issues to anyone living in houses around the thieves. Or indeed several hundred metres distant....
The EPS on the review bike is current-now-previous gen EPS v4 12v. It's replaced by the incoming wireless groupset which is not on this bike.
The bike looks, well.. mean. I'm not sure I produce enough testoterone to even look at it in the wrongway. #createmayhem
Ugh.. more strikes.. FFS not the World Champs and surely any disrutption to these world champs would affect any future bids we might have.. (for...