Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter mudguards for Van Rysel EDR AF?

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations if anyone has fitted full guards to this bike? I'm reading all the group test threads, but keen to get the benefit of real experience if it's out there.

I've been riding my Van Rysel EDR AF 105 all summer and  now I'm looking for guards for the winter. I want to keep riding in all weathers in Aberdeenshire so I'd like foot and bike protection -really the fullest guards I can fit. The bike has fork eyelets and rim brake bridge mounts on the carbon fork, but pretty tight brake caliper clearances on the back and no seat stay eyelets. The frame is sized for 28mm tyres and I've currently got Michelin Lithion 3 that measure 27mm at riding pressure.

What do you think the best solution is? Thanks in advance,

Danny

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

kil0ran | 3 years ago
1 like

Just to add - the R7000 calipers are medium drop and rated to clear 28mm tyres so there shouldn't be any issues, but if there is you could potentially swap them for long drop brakes - BR-451 is the current Shimano offering, there's also the older and less available R650, or Tektro & TRP have options too.

kil0ran | 3 years ago
1 like

Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders. Expensive but flexible in terms of fit - they come with optional tabs that fit over your quick releases. 

Once they're on (and they're very easy to fit unlike mudguards with eyebolts and cut-to-length stays) they don't rattle and do a good job of full coverage. Have integrated rubber flaps to extend coverage.

Depending on how deeply-recessed the brake nut hole is you might need Sheldon's Fender nuts from ProblemSolvers.

The only issue with using the skewer-mounted tabs on the rear is that it can make fixing punctures a bit fiddly - you need to completely remove the skewer to remove the wheel which isn't necessarily the best thing in the pitch dark of an Aberdeen winter commute.

Another option might be the Kinesis Fend-Off guards.

I wouldn't go with Crudcatchers or Raceblades. Both a massive faff to fit and keep running cleanly, and they'll knacker your paintwork unless your helitape the mounts. 

Basemetal replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks kil0ran, 

Those PDW look good :o)  I see the PDW Full Metal Fenders have a very detailed .pdf fitting & sizing guide that I'll go and check against the access & clearances on the bike. They look very well thought out. They also look to be a bit lighter than the Kinesis option, but I'll do some checking. 

ChrisPriddy replied to Basemetal | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Basemetal, I'm facing the same issue with the same bike. What did you go for in the end and did it work? Was fitting them to the bike ok? Really annoying that the bike has connection points at the front fork but not for the rear

Basemetal replied to ChrisPriddy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Chris, In the end I went with a simple Zefal Swan Rear (which I rate highly!) and, although I have a bluemels front available to fit, I've found that I've been happy with nothing on the front at all (tho wearing neoprene overshoes). The broad downtube keeps a lot more water off me than my previous 531 tube did.

To be fair we're only getting into tougher weather now, but the bike has been  easier to clean without close fitting guards.

Basemetal | 3 years ago
0 likes

Follow on question... Do Crudcatchers accomodate dropped seat stays?

Latest Comments