Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Watt bike atom novice

Hi
I have just take delivery of a watt bike atom, I am just starting slowly with whilst getting used to hearing etc, I am finding that there is a lot of play with the higher gears so finding it difficult to pedal out of the saddle ?
Have I got my setting wrong and if so how do I change them
Any advice would be very much appreciated
Thank you
Kevin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

nicholsonsimon | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hello Kevin,

I have an Atom, I got it as soon as they came out so I've been using it for a while now. The app you use it with can make a difference to how it feels, some people have issues with gear change speed with Zwift, and people have personal issues with all the various apps one way or another. Personally, I mainly use TrainerRoad, which I find excellent, although it's not everyones cup of tea as you're not riding in a virtual world or anything like that. Also the Wattbike hub has some good sessions on it, but regarding your difficulty in riding out of the saddle, I'm not sure what to suggest, as I don't have any issues with it. A couple of possible suggestions are to change the number of gears from 22 to 11, you do this in the advanced settings in the hub app. Also, depending on what app you use, maybe try adjusting the 'slope settings', I know Fulgaz has different settings regarding how difficult or real you want the climb to feel. Also, remember it's magnetic resistance, and so it won't feel like your real bike, and the more time you spend on it, the more you will get used to how it feels compared to your proper bike. I hope this helps a bit and I hope you end up getting it how you want it, it's an excellent bit of kit in my opinion.

rando | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have not tried the Watt Bike Atom but if it is anything like the normal Watt bike Pro's / Trainers then standing up on them is not the best experience. I always find them to be lacking the smoothness when standing . I always found that an increase in gear and therefore resistance did help to make it a more natural technique when out of the saddle. Like i say though these are only my experiences on the normal Wattbikes.

Richard1982 replied to rando | 4 years ago
0 likes

Is that current generaion wattbike? Just I do all my sprint training on a Wattbike Pro and for standing up I find it the best option out there (compared to other static bikes/turbos).

rando replied to Richard1982 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes the current generation Wattbikes. I do alot of indoor spiining on a Stages bike as that is what they have at the gym but i do use thw Wattbies and compared to Stages bikes for standing out of the saddle efforts then the stages wins hands down for ride feel and smoothness i find. I suppose it's what we get used too . Not knocking the Wattbikes at all as they are great bits of kit and if i could get hold of an Atom then i would purchase one for my garage !

Latest Comments

• panda 2 min 53 sec ago

In defence of the triathletes (full disclosure: I was a racing cyclist (mostly TTs) and switched over to long course triathlon for a while before...

• MattKelland 3 min 18 sec ago

GWR also allows you to make bike and seat reservations on its services yourself via your online account, regardless of where you got your ticket.

• OnYerBike 13 min 57 sec ago

Wax tends to last longer than wet lube between applications (although varies depending on brand of wax/lube). So, however frequently (or...

• Steve Williams 19 min 28 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 40 min 57 sec ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 59 min 7 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 1 hour 7 min ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 14 min ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Steve K 2 hours 9 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 22 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...