Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Torque wrench recommendations please

Pretty sure that my cheapo Lifeline Torque wrench has finally gone out of calibration and not sure if it can be user calibrated. So it's probably time I upgraded but can't choose between the various types so looking for recommendations. This is for very regular use as I do bike repairs for friends and family.

I think I want a click type, and would prefer a ratchet head. I've got a Feedback Sports Range for on-ride use but I really struggle to read the scale on that (aging eyesight) and it's too short for safely applying anything over 6NM in my opinion.

So it's a toss up between the pre-set torque keys (4,5,6Nm) and something similar to the existing Lifeline wrench. I'd prefer a better scale than the Lifeline has got because it's not always clear whether the torque is set correctly. I'd also probably get a cheap split beam type for chain wheels, lockrings, crank bolts, etc.

Thoughts? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

mark1a | 1 year ago
4 likes

Sorry for the thread bump on this, but the Jobsworth wrench discussed below is on a limited time sale at £12.99 right now, even more of a bargain at this price for anyone thinking of a great value torque wrench.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWMTWSV2/jobsworth-pro-torque-wrench-set

richliv replied to mark1a | 12 months ago
1 like

mark1a wrote:

Sorry for the thread bump on this, but the Jobsworth wrench discussed below is on a limited time sale at £12.99 right now, even more of a bargain at this price for anyone thinking of a great value torque wrench.

I have one, happy with it

NOtotheEU replied to mark1a | 12 months ago
2 likes

Thanks for the heads up. I recently checked the one I had bought as a YTS trainee truck mechanic and the lowest setting on it is 10Nm so I have ordered one of these. It ( and I ) must be old as it says Made In England on it.

Ride On replied to mark1a | 12 months ago
0 likes

Doh. Back to £30.99 today.

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
1 like

If you want more info on torque wrenches than you could possibly need, it's worth checking out https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/cool-tool-tuesday-10-talking-torque-wren...

and https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/cool-tool-tuesday-11-talking-torque-wren...

(yes, it's so long it's split into two parts).

There's also a road.cc Buyer's Guide which is a bit briefer: https://road.cc/buyers-guide/best-torque-wrenches

I would probably just get something similar to what you've got - some might have slightly clearer scales than others? The one I've got is Condor Cycles branded, but I think it's probably a generic one with branding stuck on (quite possibly functionally identical to the Lifeline one you have). While I'm happy with it, I don't think the scale is the easiest to read so probably wouldn't recommend it to you.

mark1a | 1 year ago
3 likes

For low torque applications I use one of these, less than £20 at the moment:

It's much more nicely made than the price would suggest, and seems accurate/consistent enough when compared with another wrench. Has a nice easy to read Vernier style scale too. 

Currently available with a workstand for £40:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNTORQUESTAND/jobsworth-torque-wrench-and-...

Not the greatest stand in the world, but I use something similar outside for washing so the good one inside doesn't get shitty.

Also have another wrench for 20Nm+ stuff such as centrelock rotors and cassettes, that's a Draper something or other £25 from eBay. 

All of these are entry level/cheap items but I can't bring myself to spend ~£200 on a wrench for fairly light occasional non-professional use. These are easily more than good enough for safety.

kil0ran replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
2 likes

Ah, excellent, thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for, that vernier style scale is much more accurate and easy to read than a line across a plastic window. I'll get that and a split beam one for lockrings/cassettes/BBs/crank bolts

kil0ran replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Well, it's arrived. Quite a beast isn't it? Seems accurate, scale is easy to use once you work out the relation of the check marks to the numbers. Will do the job, and it's handy to have one which will do hollowtech crank bolts

2 likes

As the name would suggest, does the job well. Nice positive click, good ratchet engagement, easy to set for most bike torque requirements.

mark1a replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
2 likes

Mine came out yesterday to torque a front mech cable pinch bolt while changing the cable. 

I'm glad that's worked out a decent recommendation for you, as I mentioned it's way better then I expected for the price. So many tools aimed at the cyclist market have the C tax applied and it's refreshing when a bargain is had. 

kil0ran replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Part of the problem is that many products like this are white-labelled and sold at different price points, and I didn't want to buy the brand rather than the tool.

robgru76 replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Hi kil0ran - I've been struggling with this a bit since I got mine a couple of weeks back. I think the first line on the scale is 2nm (I've deduced this by looking at the 24nm position) but it could be 0nm as the numbers don't quite align. How are you reading it? I didn't find the instructions helped much..! Great product otherwise.

kil0ran replied to robgru76 | 1 year ago
1 like

Line below the number is the torque setting relating to that number, based on my testing against a known good wrench. Attached file shows it set to 5Nm - the 4 is visible and the collar has been further rotated to align the 1 with the centre line of the scale. To set it to 4Nm align the zero on the black scale with the centre line of the vertical scale, with the line just below the 4Nm marking visible

1 like

And this is it set to 4Nm

1 like

I would add that before using this on torque-critical components (e.g. carbon anything) test it on something like your Hollowtech crank bolts. If you're still not sure and have access to a vise clamp a bit in the vise and use a digital luggage scale to test the calibration.

(linked video is in 'murican so it's all in foreign units but the principal is the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqBA-xSGbc

For Nm a 3kg pulling force on the handle of the Jobsworth wrench is about 5Nm. So if the wrench is set to 5Nm it should click when the force applied by the luggage scale reads 3kg.

Newtons = kgs * 9.8

Nm = Newtons * m

The centre point of the handle on the Jobsworth is about 18cm long so the calculation for a 3kg pull is (3 * 9.8)*0.18 = 5.3Nm

robgru76 replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Really good wrench but just wish the markings were a bit clearer.

ktache replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

Good find.

Looks perfect for my very rare torquing needs.

And might give me a bit of a feel for my very strange torx 12 Rohloff shifter attachment.

Rendel Harris replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

I've got the same one under a different badge and can definitely second the recommendation, seems to work just as well as my mate's £120 job. It's a shame it doesn't include a couple of sockets but bits from a standard socket set fit it fine.

Not quite sure why it says "This torque wrench is not used for loosening", I've found it excellent for getting out stiff screws etc in various DIY applications.

IanMSpencer replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

Torque wrenches are designed to work up to a certain torque and exceeding that can damage the mechanism - you aren't supposed to press beyond the force that makes it "pop". Loosening a stuck thingummybob can tempt you into applying excess force through the wrench.

If you are trying to nurse a fitting out at low torque within the limits of the setting then of course that is going to be fine because it is just acting as a torque wrench.

I have a nice £100 one, and in part it has stayed nice over 10 years or so because I only use it for torquing not for everyday bodging. For big stuff like cassettes, the bendy bar and pointer type is fine, I don't believe that there is anything on a bike that needs super-accuracy for big torques. There are some silly designs out there though, like Speed play cleat screws which seem to have an extremely narrow band of torque between not being right enough to stay fastened, and over-tightened to not function correctly.

Rendel Harris replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

IanMSpencer wrote:

Torque wrenches are designed to work up to a certain torque and exceeding that can damage the mechanism - you aren't supposed to press beyond the force that makes it "pop". Loosening a stuck thingummybob can tempt you into applying excess force through the wrench.

I see, thanks. When I'm loosening something I set the wrench to max torque (24NM with this model) and stop if it indicates I've reached that, so hopefully that way I won't damage it?

OnYerBike replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Dave Rome wrote:

And please, I’m begging you, don’t set your torque wrench to its highest setting and then use it as an everyday ratchet – that’s the tool equivalent of kicking a puppy.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/cool-tool-tuesday-11-talking-torque-wren...

Paul J replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

The classic bendy bar torque wrench should be (much) more robust in the long run, I suspect.

I'm still using one from my dad that must be from the 70s. I actually went and bought a small one that works at 5nm to 20nm - the typical bike bolt range - but they're very hand to find it seems. Had to buy mine from the USA.

andystow replied to Paul J | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes. I'm using this one, which cost me $25 US in 2017. I had a carbon seatpost snap a couple of years ago, and that made me check the wrench by hanging weights off it. It's accurate within my ability to read it, about ±0.5 N·m.

kil0ran replied to andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have a couple of issues with that type

(1) It doesn't work well for bolts which don't make it easy to see the scale (seatclamp bolts, disc brake calipers in particular)

(2) My ageing eyes struggle to see the scale. That certainly looks better than many but there's not a big difference between 4,5, and 6 Nm so it's not the easiest to use. Maybe a shorter handle and a max scale of 6Nm would be better

Latest Comments