Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tacx Flux S Cassette Installation Problems, HELP!

I've recently bought a Tacx Flux S second hand off ebay. It was a factory replacement that wasn't used and has 12 months warranty and seems to have the multisys free hub attached which should be compatible with the cassette I have purchased I believe.

I purchase a cassette the same one as one my current bike. A Shimano Alivio 9 Speed 11-34T. I've also bought the spacer kit, another lockring from edco, locking tool etc etc, the whole shebang and still can't get this setup.

I have photos if needed. The cassette sits fine on the hub, and it has the flat back, not recessed, so the 1mm spacer should not be used as far as I can tell. But both lock rings I have seem to be the wrong size. They are too wide for the inner part it's supposed to lock too. Can anyone help? I presume I just need to find the right lock ring but can't figure out which I need and can't just keep on buying and buying til I find the right one. Or do I have to purchase the specific Shimano hub for this to work?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

madmicra | 2 years ago
1 like

It's definitely a Flux S.

So purchased the following and it appears to fit  1  https://www.prestacycle.com/product/multisys-locknut-for-t-11-cassettes/ 

This is what I thought I was buying when I bought a second one instead of using the shimano original, but it had turned out to be the same thing as the shimano original.

So making progress, just need to borrow a 24mm socket from neighbour as my set only goes up to 19mm, so can tighten it properly and add the extra washer thing on the other side due to me having disc brakes and then should be good to go.

Thanks to all that responded. 

ACBush | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have some Edco wheels from a couple of years ago, that came with the Multisys hub and an Edco cassette for Shimano.   The lockring that came with it required a Campagnolo tool to remove it, and when I looked to replace the cassette with a Shimano one, I found the Shimano lockring diameter was too big.

Looking online at lockring sizing, you find that Campagnolo hubs are 27mm vs Shimano at 30.5mm.    My obvious conclusion is that these Multisys hubs (for that generation at least) require a Campag lockring.

This would be somewhat backed up by the replacement lockrings I bought from Edco.   They now make them to be used with a Shimano tool, but they're very clearly marked on the box as being for Campagnolo.

So your answer might be as simple as getting a Campagnolo lockring from your LBS.   Good luck!!

madmicra | 2 years ago
0 likes

It's slid on ok as you can see. I did find the part number of the edco lock ring that was supplier with the previous gen, which another group has said is what I need. I thought that was what I had bought but apparently not. I've only found a US supplier at the moment. When I search a lot things are not clear on part numbers specifications. I've also been told an option is to replace the multisys hub and get the shimano one and then the lock rings I have would fit. It would seem the old gen version got the lockrings include and it seems my generation no longer got them included.

andystow | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think pics would really help here. Are you sure the cassette is slid all the way onto the hub?

Latest Comments