Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road bike tyre choice help

Hello. wonder if you lot can help me with a  question, only started riding regularly since August last year, I am riding a Cayon Roadlite 6 and it has Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 mm tyres fitted, I’ve had 4 puncture’s in 1200km or so, I don't think that's too bad, Quite new to cycle tyres and i am looking for something maybe faster or better suited to my riding,  I only ride on the road with maybe the odd dirt path if we get lost but not by choice, i ride in and around london, plus a few long rides out to windsor etc at  80/100km

ive been looking at the following and i am looking at puncture resistance and speed. (plus id like to be able to change a tube at the side of the road without want to burn the bike)

Conti GP5000, Conti Grand Prix GT, Specialized Roubaix Pro tyre or the Bontrager AW3

or should i look at anything else????

these only seem to come in 28 and not 30mm that  I currently have , will going down to 28mm make a massive different. My bikes got Wheel Alex Rims CRD30 / Shimano TX505 SH11

Thanks

lewis 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Kapelmuur | 3 years ago
1 like

Changing a tube may be easy for most people, but I have arthritic thumbs and getting a tyre off is a long and painful business for me, especially at the roadside.   Even at home in the workshop a tyre change can take 20 minutes.

I've recently bought a tubeless equipped bike and hope the 'get you home' claims are correct.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

GP5000 TL (tubeless)  in the 28mm width all year round.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

GP5000s in the summer, gp4 seasons in the winter basically (extra puncture protection in the wet) 

They will definitely feel faster!!

tigersnapper replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

This for me too.  Only problem I've had is when I've been out early winter in the wet before changing the GP5000s to GP4 Seasons.

Geoff Ingram | 3 years ago
2 likes

Tubeless is far more trouble than it is worth. Changing an inner tube is quick and easy. On the very few occaisions that tubeless let me ride home after a puncture, I had to spend much more time scraping escaped sealant from the frame than fixing a pincture would have cost. And then I usually found that I still needed to attend to the actual puncture... MTB yes, road no.

Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

To the OP, are you running the G-One Speeds tubeless, sounds like you're not? It's the way to go if you want to avoid stupid tube-changing stops. Don't believe all the internet crap about it being difficult, if you commit to it and do it right, it just works.

I had a set of G-One Speeds TLR and they were great. The GP5K TLR is also a fabulous tyre.

Welsh boy replied to Miller | 3 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

To the OP, are you running the G-One Speeds tubeless, sounds like you're not? It's the way to go if you want to avoid stupid tube-changing stops. Don't believe all the internet crap about it being difficult, if you commit to it and do it right, it just works.

I had a set of G-One Speeds TLR and they were great. The GP5K TLR is also a fabulous tyre.

I'm glad tubeless worked for you, for me it was nothing but a nuisance.  I had one puncture last year in over 5000 miles so i probably spent 5 minutes changing a tube, pumping it up and getting going again.  Compare that with the time i used to spend messing around with tubeless, topping up sealant and putting tubes in when they punctured and wouldn't seal and I wonder why I persevered with tubeless for as long as I did (I think it was because I had spent so much money on tyres, valves and sealant that I was reluctant to go ditch them but going back to tubes was a no brainer in the end).

Back to the OP, I run a mixture of Conti tyres, Gatorskins on the winter bike and Ultra Sport on the other 2.

mike the bike replied to Miller | 3 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

..... Don't believe all the internet crap about it being difficult, if you commit to it and do it right, it just works......

You are right, it's not difficult to ride tubeless but, for me, it was incredibly frustrating.  Oh, I committed alright.  I bought the best sealant, high quality tyres from Hutchinson, Hunt wheels and valves, the works.  I also benefited from encouragement and endless advice from seasoned tubeless riders.  And it was an eight-month fiasco.

To sum it all up, the gloop ( Stan's Race ) didn't work.  It failed to seal both small holes and large, slow leaks and rapid.  I collected more of the stuff on my bike and legs than in the punctures and it is not a good look.  

After twice giving the system one last chance I eventually bit the bullet, grasped the nettle and grabbed the bull by the horns.  Out went the valves and back in went the tubes.  Three winter months later and zero flats, zero topping up gloop, almost zero topping up pressures and zero worries.

Reports of tubeless tyres being a panacea for road riders are exaggerated.

Formula400 replied to Miller | 3 years ago
1 like

i am not running tubeless

Welsh boy replied to Formula400 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Formula400 wrote:

i am not running tubeless

Good decision

Tim Ward | 3 years ago
2 likes

We now do the Schwalbe One Performance Line in a 700 x 30C which is a good blend of speed, protection and durability. https://schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-one-tube-type [Art# 11653958]; and even more so if used with new Aerothan tube https://schwalbe.com/aerothan/en

Simon E replied to Tim Ward | 3 years ago
2 likes

Tim Ward wrote:

We now do the Schwalbe One Performance Line in a 700 x 30C which is a good blend of speed, protection and durability. https://schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-one-tube-type [Art# 11653958]; and even more so if used with new Aerothan tube https://schwalbe.com/aerothan/en

Schwalbe One Performance Addix is effectively a rebadged Durano, which IME provides an excellent balance between rolling resistance and p-word protection. Currently £28 at Merlin.

The Pro One tube type is lighter and a competitor for the GP5000 etc. It is available in sizes including 30 and 32mm.

Another really nice tyre available in 28mm is the Michelin Pro4 Endurance.

Formula400 replied to Tim Ward | 3 years ago
0 likes

Tim Ward wrote:

how do they compare to the G-One Speed's i currenlty have fitted?? will they be faster, its all road riding. puncture resistance ???

thanks

Richbeck | 3 years ago
0 likes

Anything with a tan wall! I'm riding Schwalbe one's in winter and Vittoria Corsa in summer.

cordulegaster | 3 years ago
1 like

I've had Conti 4seasons all year. I meant to change to GP5000 for summer but never got round to it. Great puncture resistance and good grip in the wet and mud covered roads. Had GP4000II before, excellent in summer but they weren't great on winter roads. The tread of the 4Seasons started to come off after 4kkm so replaced with the same. Come in (23, 25,) 28 and 32. Just ordered a new bike with Schwalbe G-One 30mm so will be able to compare!

Latest Comments