Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Knighthood For Mark Cavendish

Mark Cavendish should be awarded a knighthood for his achievements in cycling

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Karbon Kev | 2 years ago
0 likes

What for exactly? Being involved in a sport he loves? How many grand tours has he won? It doesn't take much, look at BW.

Don't get me wrong - he's an excellent sprinter, but not an all rounder. not exactly Grand Tour material.

He'll probably get one because this country dishes them out for anything these days.

Rendel Harris replied to Karbon Kev | 2 years ago
1 like

Karbon Kev wrote:

Don't get me wrong - he's an excellent sprinter, but not an all rounder. not exactly Grand Tour material.

I don't really agree with sportspeople getting honours for, as you say, doing their job and one that most of us would give our eyeteeth to have the talent to do. But if there are going to be knighthoods for cyclists, why shouldn't sprinters be in the mix? 34 stages of the Tour de France (plus the WC jersey and other GT accomplishments) is an astonishing achievement, probably only third in the history of British road cycling to Froome's seven GTs and Burton's seven WCs. By all means don't give any honours to sportspeople, but if you're going to MC is a more than deserving candidate.

OnYerBike replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

I don't really agree with sportspeople getting honours for, as you say, doing their job and one that most of us would give our eyeteeth to have the talent to do. 

I don't know how honours are handed out, but it does seem a lot of them go to people who have been very successful in their chosen career and made a pretty penny from doing so. In that regard I don't see sportspeople as any less (or more) deserving than many other recipients.

PRSboy | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm generally opposed to sportspeople getting knighthoods, on the basis they are doing their job, and usually being handsomely paid for doing something they love.

turtletoes | 2 years ago
1 like

Nomination for BBC sportsperson of the year perhaps.

domats | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well I think he deseves one, wey nat?  He's certainly had enough downs to go with his ups, a real 'never give up' fighter.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
5 likes

Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole died rescuing a stranger from the Thames in April. Save the knighthood for him (I know, there's probably a rule against it being posthumous).

Don't get me wrong - what Cav has done is amazing, but sports give their own rewards to successful participants. Honours should be for those who go above and beyond for no reward or great sacrifice. There have been a few more of these than usual since March 2020 I think.

And let's not even start on awards for political service, or aging civil servants.

Rendel Harris replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

TheBillder wrote:

Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole died rescuing a stranger from the Thames in April. Save the knighthood for him (I know, there's probably a rule against it being posthumous).

There is, but there's nothing to stop him being awarded a posthumous George Cross/Medal, not sure why this hasn't happened yet.

Hirsute replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Didn't think he did rescue anyone though, just tried too. Very risky though in the dark and cold. There is a reminder today about the risks of water and how dangerous it can be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57884739

"The difference between the air temperature and water temperature can literally take your breath away... it is silent, invisible and deadly.

"Water can also hide debris, strong currents and sudden changes in depth that can catch out even the strongest swimmers."

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

The George Cross/Medal, like their equivalent for courage in the face of the enemy, the Victoria Cross, are awarded generally for the gallantry of the action, success isn't necessarily a deciding criterion (though it probably helps). Certainly diving into the Thames at night is incredibly dangerous and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the courage to do it, doesn't the danger and the fact that he willingly exposed himself to it to try and save another make him more deserving of recognition, not less? 

espressodan | 2 years ago
3 likes

The honours system is anachronistic and for every person you might think is deserving there are 5 who just went to school with the right person.

But, in terms of the bar that seems to have been set for sportspersons Cav easily makes the grade, and he's got a history of really substantial charity work through Help for Heroes that Wiggins certainly didn't have when he got his.

richliv replied to espressodan | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, this. If Sir Wiggo can happen then Sir Cav, why not.

mdavidford | 2 years ago
4 likes

If he is, does he get to carry a lance around in all his races from then on?

hawkinspeter replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
7 likes

mdavidford wrote:

If he is, does he get to carry a lance around in all his races from then on?

Can he choose Armstrong?

peted76 | 2 years ago
1 like

He should get something.. maybe an OBE.. Knighthood might be pushing it a bit, he's not old enough rich enough or royal enough for that dodgy accolade.

He's already got an MBE and has been Sportsperson of the year. 

I reckon (pick a name out of the hat footballer) is probably nailed on for Sportsperson of the year 2021. Although I feel that 'should be' the suitable accolade Cav gets IMO (as he is the British sportsperson of the year)..

The nation should be aware JUST WHY he deserves to be the sportsperson of the year again, with ten years between each award, that would be something special and would add another element to drive this epic comeback story.  

That reddit thread is a shower, however with no media behind cycling in any form and the English nation riled up into a frenzy of football to the point where people have quite literally lost all sense and reason..  what do we expect?

Organon | 2 years ago
0 likes

Look at this complete shower:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/oi20iv/how_is_mark_cavendish_equ...

niche sport, my arse. It would be a great end to the season, especially as they have one spare, just cross out Gareth Southgate.

I don't need to list his story arc. Doubt Froome has enough to make it back to race wins. I think G might be done as a GC rider too. End of an era, luckily there is still plenty of young British talent to come.

Latest Comments