Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Just imagine if this had been a cyclist

Possibly some proof that our road laws aren't  fit for purpose for more than just cyclists. Just 3 points for this. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-59408339

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
3 likes

I think there is also a question of whether the type of trailer was appropriate for the load.

Having lived next to a few building sites, the lorries typically have retaining sides for that type of load. Possibly not strong enough for a pallet splitting apart, but certainly enough to stop a pallet simply sliding off which seems to have been the case here.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Driver not too impressed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-59419664

Mr Collins said he was concerned similar accidents would continue to happen: "Something's gone wrong in the system here, where something which could've so easily resulted in myself and my wife being killed, has been treated with no seriousness at all."

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Now I'm confused, as in the EDP article he was quoted as saying 'it's good that justice had been done' ?

Hirsute replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
1 like

Does seem a bit odd ! Maybe the bbc one is after a bit of reflection and reading other people's reactions?

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
2 likes

Maybe Mr Collins hadn't heard the full sentencing and left thinking the HGV guy had his driving / HGV license revoked. Then finds out later he only had it tickled with the loss of a few points. 

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
3 likes

It seemed to me that his speed wasn't appropriate, regardless of load - a sharp corner, not driving to his braking distance for the view he had of the road.

Russian car crash videos are full of those, this is of that standard.

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Am I reading that right, that that load was just kind of balanced in place rather than being secured?  Or was it just not secured enough?

Awavey replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
2 likes

no it was claimed to be "secured" with ratchet straps, but they believe the a pallet some of the bricks were on was damaged when it was loaded on the truck, and the pallet then shifted under the load/stress/weight and then the straps arent really holding anything anymore and they break free.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/norfolk-man-pleased-justice-has-been-...

but who knows, all I do know is yes if youd been cyclist at the point, you would almost certainly have been killed, and there are alot of unsecured loads like that on lorries across Norfolk/Suffolk given how often the police report stopping them on their twitter feed.

brooksby replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
0 likes

Oh, OK: that makes sense.  So the driver didn't check their load properly before setting off?  Health & Safety violation, isn't it?

Captain Badger replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

Oh, OK: that makes sense.  So the driver didn't check their load properly before setting off?  Health & Safety violation, isn't it?

That's actually HWC - and it's a must, not should

Vehicle towing and loading. As a driver

• you MUST secure your load and it MUST NOT stick out dangerously. Make sure any heavy or sharp objects and any animals are secured safely. If there is a collision, they might hit someone inside the vehicle and cause serious injury

I'm not sure that HASAW directly mentions it. Its directive is essentially that you are responsible for your own safety and the people around you. Larger companies are required to record H&S RAs, and provide Safe Schemes of Work for their employees to follow (and ensure they follow them),  which in this case should involve checking loads are safely secured etc.

So H&S violation - yes indirectly as either (or more than one):

• The employee has failed to follow their training
  • Management failed to ensure that sufficient checks were made that loads were safe before leaving site
  • Insufficient training was provided
  • The SSOWs were inadequate
  • The RAs were inadequate or didn't exist

Going directly for the RTA offence is simpler from a police/CPS perspective. However this may mask management culpability if the HSE aren't informed or don't investigate.

Richard_pics | 2 years ago
4 likes

Lazy and dangerous loading of the vehicle.

Even the use of 1 loading strap would have prevented this accident. Luckily it hit a modern car with the lastest safety features. 

Unimaginable carnage if it had hit a cyclist/pedestrian. 

AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
2 likes

Although great BBC reporting. When was the Tesla "behind" the lorry?

I would have thought that would have been instant removal of the HGV part of his license. Although the driver might not load the vehicle, he is ultimately responsible for it. and should have ensured distributions and suitability. Still I'm sure that part of the testing is now being undertaken "privately" to speed up HGV license completions so is the standard going to improve or drop. 

wycombewheeler replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
4 likes

Many years back I was walking along the pavement and amassive steel box fell off the back of a lorry about 10m in front of me and gauged a two inch deep hole out of the pavement. 

driver just got out and loaded it back up with the hiab arm then carried on.

£267 fine seems insufficient for an action with easily fatal consequences. No wonder dangerous occcurances keep happening.

Latest Comments