Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

High end bike on a budget

Hi all, I'm looking to build a bike over winter and so far have selected a cinelli frame. Either the superstar or vbo, I have all finishing kit like handlebars seat post and stem and want to fit it with ultegra either rim brake or disc.

I'm struggling with choosing between the frames, brake type selection and wheelset choice. Hoping to acquire these with a budget of around 2000

I live near the peak district so rides regularly contain 1000ft of climbing per 10 miles. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

I went with discs on my new road bike purely because I wanted it to still be worth something when I come to sell it. I've never been bothered about moving away from rim brakes, as I always found them to be fine.

I won't buy another rim braked bike again. Disc brakes really are that much better.

Note that I stuck with mechanical shifting, as I prefer it to electronic, so I'm not a marketing man's dream.

Are you dead set on a Cinelli? The reason I ask is that I built up one of these, which has to be the Italian road bike bargain of the year: https://www.startfitness.co.uk/bianchi-infinito-cv-disc-frameset-2018-bl...

I went with Super Record/H11 and Zondas. Given that 11 speed stuff is heavily discounted due to the advent of 12 speed, it came in not much dearer than your budget.

Laingy2020 replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I certainly wont be going for electronic shifting.

Cinelli would be my preferred brand. I made my decision based on aesthetics, grade of carbon fibre used, weight and a less measurable point that I feel cinelli has always been quite a cool and quirky brand. I believe I can pick up one of the frames mentioned for around 1000 to 1100

hmjb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Go disc brake. Carbon wheels are uniformly terrible for braking, especially if you're in the Peaks.

Rim brakes on carbon wheels in the wet is downright scary. I've been on Mavics, Knights, Hollowgrams, Corimas, and they're all rubbish. Been through all the pads too - swisstop, aztec, corima.

Laingy2020 replied to hmjb | 3 years ago
0 likes

I must admit I had a very scary moment yesterday with my rim brakes coming out of the peaks and into thorncliffe. I understand the braking has a better feel with discs and that generally has more bite. The only thing I'm put off by is road side maintenance and the possibility of them seizing onto the disc. This is probably something I need to acquire some knowledge on to put my mind at rest.

Miller replied to Laingy2020 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Disc pads seizing onto discs does not happen. What roadside maintenance are you expecting, I've not had to do any? Not saying discs don't have their quirks but all the maintenance I've had to do has been in the comfort of my own home.

Laingy2020 replied to Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sorry if that suggestion seemed idiotic, as I say I have no experience with discs.

Are issues with discs easily solved? I know obviously I cant bleed them road side but if they were rubbing can minor issues be addressed relatively easy? Thanks

Joe Totale replied to Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've personally never had any issues with rim brakes and carbon wheels aside from when it's pouring down but given that the OP is living near the Peak District where there's plenty of descending and inclement weather, I'd also advise disc brakes. 

In my experience disc brakes are more faff then rim brakes in terms of maintanance but I've never heard of or experienced them seizing. The main thing is to keep on top of the pad wear which requires pulling them out unlike with rim brake blocks where a quick scan with your eyes is all that you need. 

Unless you somehow bend a rotor whilst riding (I can only think of this occuring by crashing) rubbing shouldn't be an issue during a ride. 
Rotor rub is very much something that can be resolved in the garage prior to a ride. 

Laingy2020 replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks joe, discs do seem to be the beat suited for my riding conditions.

Would you definitely recommend I have them fitted at a bike shope with the added complexity compared to rim brakes?

Richbeck replied to Laingy2020 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Steep into Thorncliffe!

Laingy2020 replied to Richbeck | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just a bit. First time in years I've felt nervous on a descent. The noise from my pads wasnt great. Still cant decide on discs or rim brakes though

Richbeck | 3 years ago
0 likes

VBO geometry more pleasing on the eye, although I would go Vigorelli!
David at DCR wheels for handbuilt hoops.
32T on the back!
Rim brake for me.

0 likes

Thanks rich I arent the best at analysing geometry of bikes and been able to tell the position they will put you in. My trek 1.5 feels too endurance based and I would like something a little more aggressive but still able to provide comfort on 4+ hour rides.

Aesthetically the two frames I have picked I can not really choose between so might come down to price and sale options.

With dcr do I have to request a price? Definitely going for 32 on the back and it does seem like I'm heading towards rim bakes simply for ths cost and ease of maintenance.

Richbeck replied to Laingy2020 | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you give David some basic info then he will give you some options - rider weight, riding style, usage, and price range. He builds very round wheels with lifetime build and trying guarantee.

0 likes

I'll send an email later today. Off the shelf wheels I've looked at are the campagnolo zondas and eurus, hunt aero wide and the jetflys. I like the look of the deeper rim carbon but worry about buying from the cheaper end of the carbon scale and getting poor quality in regards to weight and durability.

TheBillder replied to Laingy2020 | 3 years ago
0 likes

One approximation that can be useful to cut through the geometry maze is to divide reach by stack. Look up the numbers for your current bike and check the ratio against the frames you are interested in.

That's how I managed to buy a bike that is painful for my aged back. It's not perfect but a reasonable comparator.

Laingy2020 replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks I'll give that system a go. Dropped the stem and bought a longer one on my trek but still find I spend a lot of time on my down bars. Gran fondo distances are the most the bike will be used for really.

Latest Comments