Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fantasy Olympic Track Cycling

It was suggested a few months ago that some people on the forum might want to try a fantasy track cycling competition for the olympics.

The idea's simple, pick an athlete/team/nation for each track event and we score the results, the best overall result is the winner.

The ten olympic events are:

Men's Keirin
Men's Omnium
Men's sprint
Men's team pursuit
Men's team sprint
Women's Keirin
Women's Omnium
Women's sprint
Women's team pursuit
Women's team sprint

Schedule is here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/schedule-and-results/

Athlete details will be available here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/athletes/

Deadline for entries is 8pm Wednesday 1st August.

Rules are:
1) Fantasy teams limited to one individual or team from any nationality i.e. you can't have more than one Brit or British team in your own team.
2) Scoring based on the Omnium where 1st scores 1, 2nd scores 2 etc down to 12th scoring 12. Any placing below 12th scores 12. Lowest overall score after 10 events is the winner.
3) DNFs, DQs or withdrawl's of an athlete count as finishing last and will score 12 points.
4) Where non-medal positions are not ranked (see 2008 men's team pursuit and team sprint) the time's from qualification will be used to rank teams for fantasy purposes.
5) Where it is not possible to rank a group of teams or individuals each will be given the score of the highest unranked position i.e. if 5-12 cannot be ranked by any of the above methods each will score 5 points.
6) Tie-breaks - first tie-break is number of Gold medal winners picked, then total medal winners picked then the lowest highest score i.e. one team has a highest event score of 8 (for 8th place), another has 10 (for 10th) then the winner is the team with the score of 8. Final tie-break is a coin-toss.
7) No prizes, although we could ask Dave nicely for a pair of socks  4

Any questions/comments? Happy to tweak the rules/format as suggested.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

127 comments

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

AND THE WINNING TEAM IS...  24

MENS KEIRIN MAX LEVY (Germany)
MENS OMNIUM ZAC BELL (Canada)
MENS SPRINT GREG BAUGE (France)
MENS T PURSUIT NEW ZEALAND
MENS T SPRINT AUSTRALIA
WMNS KEIRIN EKATERINA GNIDENKO (Russia)
WMNS OMNIUM SARAH HAMMER (USA)
WMNS SPRINT SIMONA KUPRECKAITE (Lithuania)
WMNS T PURSUIT GREAT BRITAIN
WMNS T SPRINT CHINA

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know there's only four teams but I expected them to be more simiilar, I'm surprised we've picked such different teams although Gregory Bauge looks like he might be in every team at this rate!

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

My Picks are:-  39

Mens Sprint Gregory Bauge(FRA)
mens Kieran Chris Hoy(GB)
Mens Omnium Zach Bell(CAN)
Team Sprint New Zealand
Team Pursuit Japan

Womans Sprint Anna Meares(AUS)
Womens Kieran Miriam Welte(GER)
Womens Omnium Sarah Hammer(USA)
Team Sprint Russia
Team Pursuit China

Let the games begin  3

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

ok then here is mine

Men's Keirin - Kazunari Watanabe (Japan)
Men's Omnium - Lasse Norman Hansen (Denmark)
Men's sprint - Gregory Bauge (France)
Men's team pursuit - Great Britain
Men's team sprint - Australia
Women's Keirin - Shuang Guo (China)
Women's Omnium - Sarah Hammer (USA)
Women's sprint - Simona Krupeckaite (Lithuania)
Women's team pursuit - Canada
Women's team sprint - Germany

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thought I'd get my team in now, you can copy it if you like but if you do and we win I might add something into the rules to 'resolve' that  19

Men's Keirin - Max Levy (Germany)
Men's Omnium - Zac Bell (Canada)
Men's sprint - Gregory Bauge (France)
Men's team pursuit - New Zealand
Men's team sprint - Australia
Women's Keirin - Olga Panarina (Belarus)
Women's Omnium - Sarah Hammer (USA)
Women's sprint - Simona Krupeckaitė (Lithunia)
Women's team pursuit - Great Britain
Women's team sprint - China

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nope, that makes it far too easy  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just a thought, Can we not have a male and female from the same country?  39

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough  1

Have a great holiday and please send some sunshine our way  4

JAndrewHill replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

jandrewhilln_MacMichael]Fair enough  1

Have a great holiday and please send some sunshine our way :D[/quote]
Abracadabra...is that enuf sun???  44  4  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the two Omnium's could be the deciders, the uncertainty and variables that 6 events adds will mean that picking a medal contender in that could be very important. Equally though you could use one of your 'star picks' (GB, AUS, Canada, New Zealand etc) and find that they finish lower down than expected.

Pity they don't have the Maddison or Scratch Race as an Olympic event, that'd be really hard to predict!

0 likes

Given the limited permutations, I'm not sure it's a good idea for anyone to start posting their teams till the deadline, but hey-ho...  3

JAndrewHill replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Given the limited permutations, I'm not sure it's a good idea for anyone to start posting their teams till the deadline, but hey-ho...  3

I would wait til last minute, but i am jetting off to the sun and wifi may be limited in Greece . . . I hope the hotel has a tv to watch the last stage of #tdf.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here goes. I posted this first, so any exact copies, and I get the socks !
Mens Kierin: GER Levy
Mens Omnium: CAN Bell
Mens Sprint: FRA Bauge
Mens T Purs: NZE New Zealand
Mens T Sprn: JAP Japan
Woms Kierin: RUS Gnidenko
Woms Omnium: GBR Trott
Woms Sprint: AUS Mears
Woms T Purs: USA Yanks
Woms T Sprn: CHI China

I think I am short of dutch and spaniards, but hey ho.

0 likes

laura trott would be the GB lady i reckon...

JAndrewHill replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

you're a mind reader . . . or is it obvious that she is a dead cert?

TERatcliffe26 replied to JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

you're a mind reader . . . or is it obvious that she is a dead cert?

It was the only one that made sense that not many people would know

I guess it depends how much you understand the event and how much you have seen her. As far as im concerned there is too much variability with 6 events to say dead cert, but if she doesnt medal id be surprised.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nope, just one of those, only one athlete/team of any nationality in your chosen 10.

0 likes

So could I pick team gb for the team pursuit and vicky p for the ladies sprint?

0 likes

Ok, will try to join in if I can get a wifi connection in kos...i know which brit lady I fancy and its not vp who might lose to the aussie....

0 likes

Ok, will try to join in if I can get a wifi connection in kos...i know which brit lady I fancy and its not vp who might lose to the aussie....

0 likes

O.K cool  16
Just thought i'd put it out there, but more than happy.

I'm in too  4

0 likes

I'll be in for this, just to repeat what Dr H said (might have been me who made original suggestion of not being able to repeat country/gender), reason I did that was it does make things more awkward and spread things around, but doesn't make it impossible. There are a few events in which we know who should win gold, and in some cases those are same countries - so to stop everyone picking near identical teams, this makes you think a little harder, and stops everyone probably picking the same six people for six of the ten events.

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like fun

0 likes

I agree with one nationality for the whole thing, not per sex. As its only 10 races, thus 10 nationalities.

And makes it more interesting on who you pick lower down, as one [er sex means you could end up with multiple teams scoring the same at the end

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had a quick look and it's possible to compile a team for the events, based on only one entry per Nationality, that is based solely on medal winners from the last World Championships.

You're not going to be able to pick the winner of each event but it should be possible to pick top 3 or top 5 based on one pick per Nation. Plus, you still need to decide where to use your 'star' picks of GB, Australia, France, Germany and New Zealand and where to plump for someone lower down the pecking order.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, I'm tempted to say no as it makes it more difficult. One Nationality per sex means that everyone will have two Brits, two Aussies, two French/German etc making all teams a much of a muchness but one nationality per team means you need to think really hard about where to use your Brit, where to use your Aussie etc. So, do you use your sole Brit for a guaranteed 1st/2nd place like in the women's team pursuit or do you use it for a chance of a decent placing in something else (Omnium?) and pick a more obscure team for the team pursuit (Canada/Ukraine).

I'll leave it open to suggestions though so if everyone wants one Nationality per sex we'll go with that.

0 likes

With regards to the only one from each nationality, can we not have one male and one female rider from the same country?
Purely because it'll be alot of Brit and Aus riders scoring so be limited to scoring picks.

Dylan Churchill | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in looks good

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Count me in, sounds like fun

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

We'll be able to see riders soon hopefully

Quote:

Come back to this page as the London 2012 Olympic Games approach to see the profiles of every athlete competing in the Cycling - Track competition.

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/athletes/

Pages

Latest Comments