Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Review - Van Rysel RR 920 CF Potenza

Dear road.cc readers,

This is my review of a bike I recently obtained, the Van Rysel RR 920 CF Potenza. 

Price: 2000£, Weight (claimed): 7.35kg (at size M)

Size tested: XS (I'm a short guy)

So, here we go!

Frame, fork:

The UltraEvo Dynamic carbon frame is an amazing performer with its stiffness and low weight, with Decathlon claiming a weight of 850g for size M. It's clearly race-oriented, with an StR of 1.35, which is similar to Canyon's Ultimate. The lightweight full carbon fork is also a great pick, matching the frame perfectly.

Drivetrain:

This version of the RR 920 CF comes with Campagnolo's excellent Potenza 11-speed groupset. As many have indicated, the Potenza groupset is excellent value for money and only misses out on carbon parts and Ultra-Shift system (which allows upshifting to five gears and downshifting to three), which the higher-end Chorus, Record and Super Record have. Decathlon have specced a direct mount brake on the front for more braking power, while the rear brake is a normal mono pivot Potenza brake. The chainset is a 52/36 one, paired with an 11-29 cassette; a very good combination for most riders. If you want a different ratio, you can always swap the chainrings and/or cassette for something else. The chain is also a Potenza one; Decathlon didn't make any cutouts here. All in all, the Potenza is a very good match for this type of bike.

Wheelset & tyres:

The wheels are the incredible Campagnolo Zondas. These wheels are very light at 1540g, which is surprising regarding that they are made out of aluminium. They also provide stiffness and an improved ride quality. The Zondas roll on 700x25 Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tyres, which are, from my experience, simply amazing. 

Finishing kit:

The finishing kit is nothing special but still pretty good: Deda handlebar and stem, Fizik saddle, Van Rysel carbon seatpost and bar tape. Props to Decathlon for picking a compact handlebar. Saddles are a personal choice, but I find the Fizik Antares R5 very comfortable for long rides at a race position. The bar tape is also nice from my experience.

Verdict: For only 2000£ this bike combines an excellent frame, magnificent drivetrain and wheelset and a great finishing kit. Paired with an extremely good ride experience, this is definitely one of the best bikes at this price range, if not the best.

Frame and fork rating: 9/10

Drivetrain rating: 10/10

Wheelset rating: 10/10

Finishing kit: 8/10

Rating: 9/10

Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap and light race bike.

Competition:

At this price range there is very few competition. However, there are two bikes I'd like to point out: the Van Rysel RR 920 CF Ultegra, which is basically the same bike with a Shimano Ultegra groupset and Mavic Cosmic Carbon wheels paired with Yksion Pro tyres, and weighs around 250g more than the Potenza one. The second one is the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0, which weighs a claimed stunning 7.00kg at size M. Just like the first one, it comes with a Shimano Ultegra groupset, and the wheels are DT Swiss P1800 Spline; adequate performers from what I've seen. It also comes with Canyon's own carbon integrated cockpit (integrated handlebar and stem), which justifies the weight difference. However, it's a good 200£ more expensive and is a direct-sales only option, while you can get the Van Rysels at your local Decathlon store.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Feedback is truly appreciated too since this is my first review. Thanks for reading anyways!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments