Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tacx Smart Trainer or similar

Hi,

I have recently torn the tendon from my pec to my arm.  I had an operation last week to reattach it but it is going to be some time before I will be able to ride a bike again.  Due to this I thought I would get a smart trainer so that I can cycle a bit indoors.  I've been reading a little about them over the last couple of days.  I prefer one that I can simply take the bike on and off, so this rules out the direct drive ones.  Also they are rather more exensive, and I hope it will not get so much use when I can get back out on the roads.  I like the idea of connecting up to Zwift or similar.  But certainly not for any kind of racing, just to make the training a little more interesting.  I basically want to do the equivalent of a leisure ride.

I note that wiggle and others have the Tacx Bushido heavily discounted.  I presume this is because it is discontinued.  But the spec for it looks better that the newer replacements.  Any good reason not to just buy the Bushido?

I have an Elemnt computer which will I assume play nicely with the Kickr Snap but that is quite a lot more expensive and I am reluctant to spend a lot.

So thoughts on a discontinued Bushido, or a newer model of Tacx, or something else.

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Gizzard | 4 years ago
1 like

I know I'm a bit late to this but I picked up the Bushido recently as an upgrade for my Tacx Flow Smart. It has its quirks but I'm very pleased with it as something for zwifting on.

DoctorFish replied to Gizzard | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gizzard wrote:

I know I'm a bit late to this but I picked up the Bushido recently as an upgrade for my Tacx Flow Smart. It has its quirks but I'm very pleased with it as something for zwifting on.

Thanks Gizzard, I ended up going for a Wahoo Snap in the end, pretty happy with it so far. 

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bkool pro is slightly more, fair device with automatic variable resistance wheel on turbo

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Read the reviews-its ok, but be aware its very much budget

Tacx Bushido Smart Trainer https://g.co/kgs/LCZDNP

All wheel on turbos require accurate tyre pressure to give repeatable results. It all depends how long you're going to be confined to indoor riding. I really enjoy indoor, probably more than outdoors

DoctorFish replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Read the reviews-its ok, but be aware its very much budget Tacx Bushido Smart Trainer https://g.co/kgs/LCZDNP

Thanks, I appreciate it is very much budget, but I'm looking to keep a relative level of fitness going while I recouperate rather than training to be an athlete.  Is there something better for the money?  It is very heavily reduced, is a newer model at a similar price better?

Latest Comments