Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Buying advice

Hi there

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Bianchi Sprint; this comes in both rim and disc brakes. The rim brakes one is £2200 and the disc brakes one is £2800. I know that rim brakes are easier to maintain but I do like the look of the disc brake one. The only small thing really that is making me apprehensive is that, for example, if I have to fix a puncture, on the disc brake bike, this means turning it upside down which then upsets the fluid balance of the disc brakes or am I being silly?!

I've got rim brakes on all my other bikes with the exception of one.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.northernride.com/Bianchi-Sprint-Sprint-Disc-2020-First-Look-...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have discs on my mountain bikes, and always turn them upside to fix a rear puncture, never had a braking problem after.  They are only upside down whilst I fix the flat, which is 15 minutes tops, unless I bugger it up.  

Not sure how you would take the wheel out without turning the bike over?  Aren't you likely to damage the rear mech/cover yourself in oil/be unable to get the wheel back in easily?

Woldsman replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
1 like

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

... Not sure how you would take the wheel out without turning the bike over?  Aren't you likely to damage the rear mech/cover yourself in oil/be unable to get the wheel back in easily?

You’re obviously not from the olden days when bikes weren’t happy being turned upside down. Shoulder under the rear of the saddle, lift up the bike, pop out the rear wheel then lay bike down on the non-drive side, get your puncture repair tin out making sure not to spill your French chalk etc, etc.  Aye, it’s not like the old days... 

BobbyG | 4 years ago
0 likes

I switched from rim to disc about 18m ago and whilst I like the ability to modulate braking more accurately/safely, I do seem to notice the extra weight out back whilst climbing.

Boatsie replied to BobbyG | 4 years ago
0 likes
BobbyG wrote:

I switched from rim to disc about 18m ago and whilst I like the ability to modulate braking more accurately/safely, I do seem to notice the extra weight out back whilst climbing.

I've only used rim brakes on bicycles.
The other night I read a message stating that'll have to drive to work because a storm incoming with a 90kmph front. I drove because I failed to set my alarm yet I was laughing and had replied not to worry. It was cold, 02:30 in the morning and my head and back were sweating, hands and feet comfortably warm and I don't care much about the bicycle being ridden in the weather because it has a sealed gearbox with a consistent tension drive chain.
Only downfall is weight bias (my opinion).
Surely disc brakes wouldn't be a weight bias issue? Lots of mountain bikes use disc brakes and they jump a bit. I recently bought a 14.3 kg road bike while traveling on eastern Europe; hilly grades 0-15%. I thought it felt light and was shocked when I weighed it. I'd used that to bunny hop gutters under a vertical foot and it was awesome. Lots of gutters. I can't do that with the hub speed due to my ability and the heavy rear weight bias but I don't care, our roads are better.
I can't see weigh bias as a problem with disc brakes.
The extra weight vs braking strength?
Less rim wear vs slightly easier tyre changes.
About 20% difference in purchase prices.
Best of luck..
I like the disc model.. Accommodates 32mm tyres. During winter and cold might be useful? Nice looking bike. Probably better braking too.

LastBoyScout | 4 years ago
0 likes

You don't need to turn a bike upside-down to fix a puncture.

If you leave a bike with hydraulic brakes upside-down for prolonged periods, there is a chance that any air bubbles in the header tank could rise up the hoses into the calipers, causing the brakes to feel spongy. Whether/why there might be air bubbles in there is another discussion.

Highly unlikely to be a problem for the amount of time required to fix a puncture, though, if that's your thing. If it is, then you've got other issues apart from a puncture.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Hydraulics are usually sealed, so turning it upside down won't be a problem. If the hydraulics aren't sealed, then you'll notice fluid leaking out whenever you use the brakes and they'll stop working shortly afterwards.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Why would you have to turn a bicycle upside down to fix a puncture?

Latest Comments