Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Avon & Somerset pushing bike registration services

I got pulled over as I was approaching the Clifton Suspension Bridge this morning.

There were two policemen (next to their enormous SUV - see that, Extinction Rebellion!) stopping cyclists on the Leigh Woods side of the bridge and handing out cards for one or other of the bike registration services.

(Out of interest, has anyone - or does anyone know anyone who has - actually managed to use one of those registration services either to discover a purchased bike was stolen or to recover their own stolen bike?)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Bmblbzzz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Was it with Bike Register, Immobilised or some other service?

brooksby replied to Bmblbzzz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Was it with Bike Register, Immobilised or some other service?

Bikeregister

brooksby | 4 years ago
2 likes

I stopped at their tent on my way home last night and let them register my new (to me!) bike.

Two blokes were walking past as my bike as being registered and I heard one say to the other "Why are they stopping them all?  What do you reckon they've done?  What are they checking?" 

Hirsute | 4 years ago
3 likes

Phew, I thought this was about a campaign for number plates !

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

They had a tent up at the end of the Great Weston Ride on Sunday so I got my bike marked and registered as it's free. Luckily I've never had cause to see if it's worthwhile as I imagine it's only a small number of bikes that get recovered by the police.

sheridan replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

They had a tent up at the end of the Great Weston Ride on Sunday so I got my bike marked and registered as it's free. Luckily I've never had cause to see if it's worthwhile as I imagine it's only a small number of bikes that get recovered by the police.

Apparently having the sticker saying it's marked acts as a deterrent to bike thieves.  I'll be interested to see what experiences people on this thread have had.

OldRidgeback replied to sheridan | 4 years ago
1 like

sheridan wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Apparently having the sticker saying it's marked acts as a deterrent to bike thieves.  I'll be interested to see what experiences people on this thread have had.

Well I had one of my BMX race bikes marked and one of my son's. Neither was ever stolen.

hawkinspeter replied to OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
3 likes

OldRidgeback wrote:

sheridan wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Well I had one of my BMX race bikes marked and one of my son's. Neither was ever stolen.

My bike hasn't been stolen since Sunday, either.

Redvee replied to sheridan | 4 years ago
3 likes

sheridan wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Having the stickers on the desk next to the PC for 18 months is also a deterrent as the bike they are for hasn't been nicked either though I do have to put them on as I managed to get another pair of stickers on Sunday for the other bike.

Latest Comments