Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seeking advice on which frame size to choose for new gravel bike

Hi there,

Apologies if this topic has come up more than once already, but I‘ve been browsing the web and thought I‘d try to get some advice from people more knowledgeable than me.  1

I am currently shopping for a gravel bike and have narrowed it down (most likely) to the Specialized Diverge Sport. Main reasons for the Diverge are 1) the Future Shock system, as I have had a herniated disc in the past, 2) a friend’s recommendation.

With regard to size, I am right in the middle between a 54 cm or a 56 cm frame. So I am wondering which one I should get. My dimensions are: height 176 cm, inseam 80.5 cm, arm length 59 cm.

I tried a 54 Diverge and a Medium Cannondale Topstone (which seems to be comparable to the 56 Diverge) and found both bikes ok. Given that this is my first experience with a (gravel) road bike, I find it hard to judge which one feels better. The guy in the store recommends a 54, but then this is the one in stock... there is no dealer close by that has both bikes in stock, unfortunately.

Any opinion or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bastian

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

bbauwens | 4 years ago
2 likes

Thanks to all who commented and provided their input! My reply is probably the most delayed that this forum has ever seen, but I started riding my bike rather than spending time online.  3

In the end I got a Diverge 54cm and have never looked back. It's a great bike, and the only thing I regret is that I did not buy one a few years earlier. Even my back loves riding it, despite the herniated disc.

Happy holidays to all!

Stef Marazzi | 4 years ago
1 like

You are a 54cm. I'm 181cm and have ridden a 54cm Diverge and it was spot on, so you are definitely not a 56cm

Zermattjohn | 4 years ago
2 likes

I'd always go down a frame size if I'm unsure. On gravel/off road a smaller frame will be easier for you to throw around/shift your weight over - part of the joy of gravel riding is that more dynamic way of riding, like you use to do when you were a kid. And it's very simple to make adjustments if the smaller framed bike feels like you need an extra few cms, with a longer stem/seat post adjustments. Not much you can do with a frame that feels too big.

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
1 like

Depends on your style and what you find comfortable. If you want a more agressive position go for the 54, if you want to be able to have a reasonably comfortable position even in the drops then go for the 56.

Quoting arm length the way you have is meaningless to me, it doesn't say from where to where you have measured, importantly it doesn't give any clues as to your flexibility and as above riding style which would dicate reach and bar height.

In terms of greater options you'd be better off with the larger frame.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm between a 58 and a 62 but it ain't a gravel bike.
I've had a 58, I've had a 62. I've commuted 80km daily hill on a 58 and loved it. The seat was placed aft and it was comfy enough. I used 1 piece tri bars, can't find them nowadays but that brought my body fore.
I think the wheel base is a little better with agility. But distance on drop bars might get knackered once in a while. My ideal sprint bike.

My current road bike is a 60 single speed. That fits perfect. It's an adrenaline rush trying to keep up on the fixie in peak hour going flat out down the multi km 2%. Arse bumps from the machines 'hurry up response ' don't hurt the bag contents.

The 62 is huge but relaxing and capable of long distance with ease. (Less fatiguing on straight roads).

From off road tracks I used to ride a MTB GT Timberline. That was a relatively small frame and I didn't want a bigger frame because the smaller frame was easier to throw around, jump and regain control with.

If you can get comfortable on either, the shorter one will attack corners easier and the bigger one will glide longer distances with less fatigue is what I believe.

Latest Comments