Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CAADX 2019

I'm going to sell a load of bikes and get just one do-it-all bike, and am looking at the Cannondale CAADX Ultegra, which is about £1700. Anyone any experience of the following, which are vexing me:

1) It's got BB30 - is this a deal breaker?

2) It has mudguard mounts but can't see a mounting spot at the top of the fork. It looks like you need a brace for the seatstay. Any knowledge there?

3) I'll use 35mm Gravelkings for summer/gravel use on my Hunt wheels, and stick some slicks on the wheels that come stock for winter, when I'll spend less time off road. What are the wheels like that come with the bike? Do the tyres that come stock work well enough on road to mean I can just stick with them?

Any other thoughts? I'm a little annoyed that they've left the gear cabling exposed in the worst place, but hopefully decent length mudguards will keep much of the winter road muck away.

Muchos gracias.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Zermattjohn | 4 years ago
0 likes

rkemb - thanks for the advice. I'll look at that.

Jimthebikeguy.com - I'll not be using it for CX racing, or any racing in fact. It's going to be an all-round bike for just riding, year round.

One of the bikes I'll be getting rid of is a Pinnacle Arkose. I really love riding it, very versatile but I've pretty much replaced every part of it apart from the frame. It's still pretty heavy even with lighter Hunt wheels and other bits replaced, though I do hear the CAADX is criticised weight-wise.

The mechanical disc brakes are totally useless (TRP Spyre - I know they're described as the best mech brakes but they're not even as good as decent rim brakes in my experience). I know they do models with hydraulic brakes too so I'll look at them, thanks.

Re Vitus, any models in mind? Their road models don't seem to cater for 35mm tyres and their gravel/cx ones are all 1X, which is a huge pain in the derriere unless you're off-road all the time.

I'm also wary of buying a bike online. I'd prefer to see it in person/at least spin it around the car park before parting with that type of cash.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
0 likes

There are better more appropriate bikes for what you want it for, tbh. Vitus and pinnacle come to mind, and if you want a cx bike then the caadx isnt the best for racing either.

0 likes

Yeah, the guy in my LBS suggested this if the creaking got too much. Assume you also have to splash out for a new chainset, so it's all ££. I'd not be surprised to see them return to a different BB in future models.

rkemb replied to Zermattjohn | 4 years ago
1 like
Zermattjohn wrote:

Yeah, the guy in my LBS suggested this if the creaking got too much. Assume you also have to splash out for a new chainset, so it's all ££. I'd not be surprised to see them return to a different BB in future models.

Didn't need a new chainset; whole point of this solution is that it provides a direct replacement. Should still be unnecessary, but wasn't too much £££.

0 likes

Thanks for the reply. I think the BB30 might be the big turn off. I've met a lot more people who hate them than love them. Seems odd to spec a BB notorious for it's inability to handle mud/grit/water on a CX bike.

rkemb replied to Zermattjohn | 4 years ago
1 like

Zermattjohn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I think the BB30 might be the big turn off. I've met a lot more people who hate them than love them.

I've got a Carbon Supersix which came with BB30. Lovely bike but lots of creaking. Eventually replaced it with one of these:

PF30 Threaded BB by Wheels Manufacturing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018HHRC6W/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Problem solved.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Mudguard eyelets on CAADXs have been a bit hit and miss for a while - I'd double and triple check you can get guards to fit the tyre size you want to run.

The fork mount might be under the crown - called a fork daruma. Basically a threaded insert in the bottom of the fork that is a direct mount to the guard (meaning you have to precisely drill the mudguard, which is a faff if you're DIYing). It comes with a removable seat stay bridge so no issues there.

(I was all set on a CAADX 2016 model but the above faff put me off - I was intending self-building and buying second-hand so wouldn't have had LBS support)

Stock wheels won't be anything special, but therefore ideal as winter wheels. I'd stick with them - but ditch the tyres for something like a Conti GP 4Seasons (they're available in 32mm from memory)

Latest Comments