Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Disappearing comments BTL

There's a news article 'Lawyer calls for compulsory cycle training in schools - but appears to put the onus for safety on cyclists alone'.

I am sure it had a shed-load of comments below it, but now they've all disappeared and you can't comment on it at all.

Did road.cc get a legal threat, or did someone accidentally add <COMMENTS=NO> in the coding? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

don simon fbpe | 4 years ago
0 likes

If that's the one where I advocated 70% tax, I'm disappointed as I was hoping learn how 58% is the same as 70%. And who exactly pays 58% tax in this country.

srchar replied to don simon fbpe | 4 years ago
0 likes

don simon fbpe wrote:

If that's the one where I advocated 70% tax, I'm disappointed as I was hoping learn how 58% is the same as 70%. And who exactly pays 58% tax in this country.

58+12=70. Roughly 5% of earners in the country are subject to that marginal tax rate.  Here's a Graun article about it, although they don't fold in NI even though it is a tax on income: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/03/tax-trap-budget-children

Even more stupid than that is that the personal allowance still isn't set high enough to prevent people on minimum wage having to pay income tax.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
7 likes

I want to know what happens to the "likes" that we got on those posts.

Rich_cb replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
4 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

dave atkinson replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

looks like you're making up for it with this one

Hirsute | 4 years ago
1 like

I confess I did use the word 'bloody' but I feel that is less profane than 'shitty'.

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have started proofreading my comments using Word, so I discovered my previous comment for the post.  So here was my deleted comment (no swearing)

I suppose I am not alone in taking my cycling proficiency test when I was younger, didn't stop me being run over too many times, by people who had presumably had far more training and testing than I to control their over powerful and overheavy motor vehicles. 

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

Tony, thanks for being so candid; in the future, can I suggest that you only delete the sweary/abusive/shitty (oops) comments and leave the reasonable stuff alone? Thanks

quiff | 4 years ago
0 likes

Can anyone point me to the original article (not the road.cc item)? Can't find it on the Prettys website

Helmut D. Bate | 4 years ago
1 like

Well, its subject is a lawyer who's illogical enough to think that it's cyclists' fault if they hit pedestrians, and cyclists' fault if they themselves are hit by cars, and cocksure enough to write blogs highlighting that lack of logic on their corporate Website.

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that such a lawyer might think a threat of legal action is a reasonable solution to their lack of logic being commented on.

Tony Farrelly replied to Helmut D. Bate | 4 years ago
2 likes
Helmut D. Bate wrote:

Well, its subject is a lawyer who's illogical enough to think that it's cyclists' fault if they hit pedestrians, and cyclists' fault if they themselves are hit by cars, and cocksure enough to write blogs highlighting that lack of logic on their corporate Website.

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that such a lawyer might think a threat of legal action is a reasonable solution to their lack of logic being commented on.

No, we haven't been threatened with legal action over this story, in fact neither the lawyer or her law firm have been in touch. Their PR company have though - to say that we misinterpreted her remarks, something we obviously don't think we did as we based our story on what she said.
None of that though is why we've hidden the comments, we did that because so many of them were sweary, abusive and generally a bit shitty (technical term) and broke the site's T&Cs.
Great username btw.

brooksby replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
3 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

Helmut D. Bate wrote:

Well, its subject is a lawyer who's illogical enough to think that it's cyclists' fault if they hit pedestrians, and cyclists' fault if they themselves are hit by cars, and cocksure enough to write blogs highlighting that lack of logic on their corporate Website. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that such a lawyer might think a threat of legal action is a reasonable solution to their lack of logic being commented on.

No, we haven't been threatened with legal action over this story, in fact neither the lawyer or her law firm have been in touch. Their PR company have though - to say that we misinterpreted her remarks, something we obviously don't think we did as we based our story on what she said. None of that though is why we've hidden the comments, we did that because so many of them were sweary, abusive and generally a bit shitty (technical term) and broke the site's T&Cs. Great username btw.

OK, thanks for confirming that, Tony.

PS - "so many of them were sweary, abusive and generally a bit shitty (technical term) and broke the site's T&Cs" - but isn't that any thread talking about helmets...? blush

stonojnr | 4 years ago
0 likes

Well its updated with Cycling UKs response & comment, maybe they just hit they save & overwrite button not the update

Tony Farrelly replied to stonojnr | 4 years ago
0 likes
stonojnr wrote:

Well its updated with Cycling UKs response & comment, maybe they just hit they save & overwrite button not the update

It was updated the day before yesterday with that.

Latest Comments