Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Enjoying cycling, buying new bike! Advice!

Hi Guys

well, not been into cycling but got a new job and really enjoying my commute to work each morning, losing weight too lol! Also using my bike much more than my car and do a few extra miles at weekends 

I only cycle 5 miles each way, but now don’t like my 2010 Carrera Virtuoso, it was fine when I got her, but fancy upgrade after 9 years, my max budget is £750, I’m 6 foot 3 and 14 stone 10, want a bike with disc brakes 

what would you recommend?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Now I’m really confused lol! Well I guess disc brakes would be nice after my Carrera, but I suppose anything nowadays is better than what I have now, just want good brakes in wet and odd bit of snow, what is 105??

CXR94Di2 replied to Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

Now I’m really confused lol! Well I guess disc brakes would be nice after my Carrera, but I suppose anything nowadays is better than what I have now, just want good brakes in wet and odd bit of snow, what is 105??

Hydraulic brakes are the best by far.  Most manufacturers are selling hydraulic brake bikes around a £1000.  Example the Boardman ADV8.9 is £1k where as the ADV8.8 is £750with cable disc brakes.  

Cable disc brakes can vary in performance from good to down right rubbish-hydraulic is consistent best perforamance.  Ive converted my new Genesis bike from cable to hydraulic immediately, because all my bikes are hydraulic and know the benefits of them.  

Are you practical in bike maintainance?

You could get the ADV8.9 with discount from Halfords down to £900-(British cycling membership)

I would look for a 2018 bike with hydraulic brakes. lots of people buy a new bike ride it a few times then it goes in the garage, to be sold.

Shimano do different quality/design on their groupsets(gears, derailleurs, shifters etc)

Claris, Sora,105,Ultegra, and Dur-ace.  All are very good and will work well.  They get lighter and more expensive.  Most folk get bikes with 105 or Ultegra (not alot in qualitydifference).  High end bike have Dur-ace, budget Claris/Sora-nothing wrong with these, they work well.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Disagree with bikeclis - I had cable only discs on an £800 Spcialized Claris bike then got the GT I linked to with the cable hydro and they are awesome (oh and the bike has 105).

Bikes don't have to be exoensive but when you stated your budget people ar looking at the best for the budget...

bikeclips replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Disagree with bikeclis - I had cable only discs on an £800 Spcialized Claris bike then got the GT I linked to with the cable hydro and they are awesome (oh and the bike has 105).

Fair one Alan - mine is 105 as well. I wonder if I've had pad contamination or something. I've been really disapointed with them from day one and I think I'll be upgrading to full-hydraulics before next autumn.

To be fair, this is the first bike I've ever owned with disc brakes and I've only ever tested others in dry conditions so I'm no expert. I might be a bit biased because I'm comfortable setting up and maintaining rim brakes wheras these mo-fo's are witchcraft to me.

mikewood | 5 years ago
0 likes

The brakes on the RC520 are really good once they are bedded in, better than older (6800)Ultegra rim brakes at their best. 

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

So.... a bike on my budget with full hydraulic brakes? Not gonna happen? Good braking comfort and speed is what I’d like.. Christ aren’t bikes expensive now lol!!!?!!

kil0ran replied to Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

So.... a bike on my budget with full hydraulic brakes? Not gonna happen? Good braking comfort and speed is what I’d like.. Christ aren’t bikes expensive now lol!!!?!!

It's a bit of a stretch. And yes, bikes have got expensive. Base prices have gone up considerably in the last couple of years and disc-braked drop-bar bikes are fashionable at the moment so prices are firmer on those than on rim brakes.

Modern rim brakes will be much better than what you've got on your Carrera - mine are perfectly capable of hauling my considerable bulk up for the occasional emergency stop - certainly enough to try and chuck me over the bars.

Discs win in the wet and also for year-round riding because you don't destroy your rims with road grime but they do need a lot of fettling to keep everything running smoothly - particularly cable-operated ones. I've got one disc brake bike and one rim brake and I'd say I feel more confident on the rim brakes.

Go and try a rim-brake model with 105-level or above brakes, you might be surprised how good they are.

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

So as a complete idiot who doesn’t really know about bikes, benefit of disc brakes are?

My caliper type are Pretty crap.. might be able to stretch to £800 for a bike but ideally £700 to £800 and no more, preferably I’ll put down £250 and pay rest over 12 or 24 months interest free if anyone's doing this? 

PRSboy replied to Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

So as a complete idiot who doesn’t really know about bikes, benefit of disc brakes are?

My caliper type are Pretty crap.. might be able to stretch to £800 for a bike but ideally £700 to £800 and no more, preferably I’ll put down £250 and pay rest over 12 or 24 months interest free if anyone's doing this? 

- easier to modulate brake pressure

- less effort required from the hands.

- better wet performance

- no wear to the wheel rims

- keeps heat generated under braking away from the tyres

bikeclips replied to Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

Good disc brakes are supposed to give more power (when wet), better modulation, less susceptible to crap on the roads and don't wear your pretty wheels out.

I'd just point out that my Ultegra (previous and current generation) rim brakes are awesome. I got a GT grade with the cable-hydraulic hybrid type dic brakes last year and they're rubbish. Even before the pads got covered in a film of gunk from the industrial roads I ride in on, they were no better than rims. My mates who did this and then upgraded to full hydraulic say that the difference is night and day. At your budget, I think I'd prefer decent rim brakes over cheap discs. If you can get full hydraulics though, then that would be a winner.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

You'd probably want a size bigger than the 56cm here (but I'm 6ft and a bit of space):

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/gt-grade-alloy-105-2017-bike?gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT5-VdvIH1Mw95gEZt1LVoUpzb6oXWA0kXYi1oV0eNn-7g6_AxRGFo6RoC2QsQAvD_BwE#grey-blue-frame-56cm

105 set up and hydro discs. It's rapid and at the moment I've some grippier winter tyres 700x37 and comfy as hell! 

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi chaps, well I’ve had the Carrera for years, it’s not a bad bike.. but looking for someat a bit swifter, nicer to ride, comfort is a must.. I’m not at all very handy with bikes and repairs, got a local chap whose awesome and reasonably priced... I play keyboards in a Bon Jovi Tribute Band 100 shows a year, so not very “bikey” lol! 

0 likes

Waynester wrote:

Hi chaps, well I’ve had the Carrera for years, it’s not a bad bike.. but looking for someat a bit swifter, nicer to ride, comfort is a must.. I’m not at all very handy with bikes and repairs, got a local chap whose awesome and reasonably priced... I play keyboards in a Bon Jovi Tribute Band 100 shows a year, so not very “bikey” lol! 

This would be a good upgrade

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBFBPXXLAAPEXMECH/planet-x-xla-sram-apex-1...

Great for the commute and if you want to go and do say the Swindon -> Marlborough off road.

The thing with disc brakes is that they limit your choice quite a bit at your budget.

LastBoyScout replied to Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

I play keyboards in a Bon Jovi Tribute Band 100 shows a year, so not very “bikey” lol!

Outstanding.

Having just bought a new bike and looked at the C2W schemes, my advice is not to bother, unless you're definitely staying with the same company for 5 years.

If not, then the savings are negligible (7% if you do it only for 1 year), as you'll be hit by the final fees when you leave the company, as the scheme isn't portable and you won't actually own the bike until you pay that even if you do stay with the company. There's a handy calculator here:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/calculator

Anyway, there looks to be some good bikes at your price point - I was looking at the Boardman (Halfords) and Arkose (Evans) models.

Look out for sales on old models - you might get lucky, especially if you don't mind the odd component sacrifice now that you can upgrade later. That's what I got in the end.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

One other to consider

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dark-peak-adventure-bike-p347153

This is amazing spec for the price and has had good reviews (including on this site)

But once again, might be too much towards the comfort/distance/gravel end of the handling spectrum)

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

Boardmans from Halfords are good but a lower spec for more money than the Tribans. Something like the ASR8.8 or ADV8.8 would fit the bill

Tribans are great value with good customer service and consistently get good reviews. Now they've finally started building disc brake versions they're bang on for commuting on our excuses for roads. I guess the only thing that counts against them is that you've got a bit of a journey if something does need fixing.

If you're going to buy something without chucking a leg over it something like this might be a good option:

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g-tiagra-gravel-bike-2019-11470...

What don't you like about the Carrera? Most of the bikes we've listed are on the practical side of fun. They'll be nicer to ride because they have nicer components and better frames but none of them are racy, and you'd struggle to find a new "fast" disc-braked bike in your price range.  

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

hmmmm thanks mate, so Tribans any good?

was looking at Halfords... but probably no good?

nearest Decathlon to me is Oxford, Reading not far... was just thinking I could get better spec and lighter bike than a Triban that’s worth £800 or more on offer lol!?

i think size XL is for me for sure.. 

pockstone | 5 years ago
0 likes

As per Kiloran, lots of great bikes available at your budget. I'm a big fan of my Arkose, but I've just seen a Vitus Substance on sale at CRC with a hefty reduction. Or Calibre at Go Outdoors seem worth a look. Considering the description of your commute, I'd err on the gravel side. Lot's of fun on your (long!)  weekends too.

Good luck.

Waynester | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I cycle to work in all weathers, a fair bit of A road and a cycle track that definitely needs fixing by Swindon Borough council!! Holes and bits of trees on a big stretch of the journey to work... I’ll look into the cycle to work scheme, trouble is I’m on a zero hours contract with travis Perkins, I work 3 days a week 8 hours a day.. wonder if I could get some help?

Definitely want disc brakes yeah 

heres a pic of my current bike 

0 likes

Waynester wrote:

Yeah I cycle to work in all weathers, a fair bit of A road and a cycle track that definitely needs fixing by Swindon Borough council!! Holes and bits of trees on a big stretch of the journey to work... I’ll look into the cycle to work scheme, trouble is I’m on a zero hours contract with travis Perkins, I work 3 days a week 8 hours a day.. wonder if I could get some help?

Definitely want disc brakes yeah 

heres a pic of my current bike 

As long as you're employed, pay tax, and they're a member of a C2W scheme you should be eligible. You'll save about 25% on the price but bear in mind that a lot of places will either charge an admin fee (£100 at PlanetX I believe) or not let you buy a discounted bike on the scheme. Good time to be buying now though as retailers are clearing down stock ready for the 2019 models so it might be a case of chasing down a bargain and not bothering with C2W.

I think your sweet spot would be a Tiagra 10-speed bike, space for 35mm tyres including mudguards, and either full hydro or TRP HY/RD brakes.

Well worth hopping on the train to Reading and checking out the Tribans in Decathlon - the RC520 is bang on your budget and has better spec than what I've suggested, or you can go for the RC500 and save yourself a couple of hundred quid. Just checked and they've got 1 XL 520 in stock - you might get on with a L, just depends on whether proportionally your height is in your legs or torso.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Triban

Planet X London Road worth a look too

Possibly Pinnacle Arkose (haven't checked prices on those recently)

If you're going for discs aim for a bike with hydro discs - easier to maintain and a more noticeable improvement over rim brakes

Do you cycle to work in all weathers? If so something with rack and mudguard mounts is worthwhile.

stucky | 5 years ago
1 like

start with checking if your company had the cycle to work scheme, you can get a much better deal if you use that. if not, £750 with disc brakes, maybe a triban rc520 if you can get one that's your size

Latest Comments