Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Has anyone converted a bike to hub gears?

Hi. I'm getting a new road bike this weekend and have wondered about converting the old bike into a bomb-proof winter hack. How difficult would it be to turn somethign wtih 10x2 to being an 8 speed hub gear? Anyone done this?

This is the bike in question:

https://imgur.com/a/83TJvTl

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Windy Cyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've been fine with the feel of the hub gears when pedaling, I read quite a few comments online saying you can tell the difference compared to a standard derailler set up but to me there's not that much in it, I don't feel like I'm losing a significant amount of efficency and if I am losing a minute on my 25 minute commutte I just think how much I'm saving not having to clean the chain virtually every night. - I do notice the weight though and wouldn't choose to take the bike out instead of my road bike for a proper ride.

Windy Cyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

I put an Alfine 8 on a Genesis Day One Decade single speed - I got a new wheel with the hub in it from Taylor Wheels in Germany www.taylor-wheels.com. The thing I f**ked up on was not realising that the shifter is only designed to fit flat bars (much narrower diameter) which is why the Genesis Day One 20 (and there's a Pashly that's similar) use a bar end shifter (these aren't Shimano parts and reviews are mixed). You can get a Di-2 set up but it'd cost a fortune. I ended up getting a 'Genetic Neuron Accessory Bar' from SJS Cycles so I could do a Heath-Robinson set up for the shifter - it's probably safer to use than the bar end shifters though! I've done about 2k miles since fitting and not had to make any adjustments or even clean my bike once and that's commuting every day on a bike path that's covered in tree debris (and trees) and a sea front path that gets covered in sand every time it's windy - it helps that I've been able to fit a 'Hebie Chainglider' (also on SJS). I asked an LBS about the 2K service and they reckoned so long as I'm not dragging it through streams there's no need. As you'll have vertical drop outs I think you'd need to add a chain tensioner (I've got horizontal ones)

srchar replied to Windy Cyclist | 5 years ago
1 like

Windy Cyclist wrote:

the shifter is only designed to fit flat bars (much narrower diameter) which is why the Genesis Day One 20 (and there's a Pashly that's similar) use a bar end shifter (these aren't Shimano parts and reviews are mixed)

There are Alfine shifters for drops available from Versa and Microshift. I've used the Versa shifter for Alfine 8.  It has a long throw but worked fine.  I still didn't like the mushy-feeling hub though  1

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

Haven't converted one but did build up a Cotic Roadrat frame with Alfine some years ago, having found it cheaper to also buy a Dahon Cadenza to take the drivetrain from.

Probably the cheapest bike I've ever had in terms of running costs (cost of a chain: £3), but strangely unsatisfying to ride.  The frame was a bit of a noodle, and the drivetrain itself also felt slack and plasticky rather than crisp and metallic.  I didn't like the size of the gaps between gears either.

Now on a Kinesis T3 with Veloce for commuting duties.  The only real difference in terms of maintenance is having to clean all the crud that accumulates in the rear mech's jockey wheels and the gaps between sprockets. 

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Parts, Shimano 8 speed hub, shifter, bolts, gear.  You would need to relace or a make up new wheel so associated costs for that.  Get chain alignment correct. Then there are drop outs to consider for chain tension.

A bit of a waste when you could buy a complete bike like this

Genesis Day One 20 mens 2018 for £550 cycle republic.

However if you fancy a technical project no expense worries-go for it

Cheapest option, just clean down winter bike regularly oil chain and replace often

Latest Comments