Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rattling Element Bolt

Hi folks,

I've tried googling this issue but haven't found anything useful so have come here for your collective wisdom.

I replaced my squashed Garmin 810 with the Element Bolt over a year ago, but after about 6 months the GPS became really loose in mount that it generated an extremely irritating rattle.  I got in touch with Wahoo, and after I sent back my original model I was given a replacement - hurray.

However, now the new one has developed the same problem.  I really can't be bothered going through all the faff again with sending it back (their customer service was good so no issues there).  Is there a way I can bodge a repair to stop the rattle?

Yours in hope,

Bassmanyooowan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

RDG | 5 years ago
1 like

Hi, a very low tech fix. Cost: 0. Time: seconds.

used it for my rattly Garmin on a SRAM mount.

take a small half pea sized piece of blue tac, stick it on the mount away from any holes, and voila, no rattle. Just need to roll again each time you remove the unit.

saves time for catching up on other stuff like the rolling goat f@ck of Brexit/Trump/Environmental Catastrophe/hateful people/Sky etc. Happy Christmas everyone!

Fish_n_Chips replied to RDG | 5 years ago
0 likes

RDG wrote:

saves time for catching up on other stuff like the rolling goat f@ck of Brexit/Trump/Environmental Catastrophe/hateful people/Sky etc. Happy Christmas everyone!

lol

imajez | 5 years ago
1 like

Been using an Elemnt for several years now and it's as firm a fit in mount as when I first got it.

StraelGuy replied to imajez | 5 years ago
1 like

imajez wrote:

Been using an Elemnt for several years now and it's as firm a fit in mount as when I first got it.

Me too but Dave's idea sounds like an excellent one.

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought an adapter for my Wahoo Bolt that fits to any Garmin.  The adapter hopefully takes up the wear n’ tear.

Is it a mount problem or the Bolt housing?

dave atkinson | 5 years ago
2 likes

Sugru. sugru is your friend. work a bit into the mount, put a bit of lube on the computer, push and fix the computer in the mount then remove and let the sugru harden. it'll take up all the slack and it's silicone rubber so it'll dampen any remaining rattles.

bassmanyoowan replied to dave atkinson | 4 years ago
0 likes
dave atkinson wrote:

Sugru. sugru is your friend. work a bit into the mount, put a bit of lube on the computer, push and fix the computer in the mount then remove and let the sugru harden. it'll take up all the slack and it's silicone rubber so it'll dampen any remaining rattles.

This is way later than it should have been but I tried this and it has worked an absolute treat - thanks Dave!

Rapha Nadal | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm sure Wahoo give you the ability to "permanently" fix the unit to the mount by way of a screw.  Have you tried that?  I had a bit of rattle using a K-Edge mount but a bit of inner tube fixed it.  Had the same with my old Garmin.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

It's not neccessarily the mounts but the rear housing I'd imagine, once you've clicked and turned a couple of hundred times they don't fit like a glove anymore...

AfterPeak replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
2 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

It's not neccessarily the mounts but the rear housing I'd imagine, once you've clicked and turned a couple of hundred times they don't fit like a glove anymore...

My Garmin mount does and thats after several thousand turns (at least!)

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

If this is a common problem, might Wahoo have produced a modified mount?... might be worth asking them to send the latest mount on a warranty basis.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

Oh dear, weren't we told the Elemnt was the saviour of GPS - now we learn that they won't stay in a mount for 6 months!

Paul5f | 5 years ago
0 likes

This might not be much help now but never take it off the mount. I just unscrew the mount from my bars with an Allen key when I need to charge it. Luckily for me a friend got one a few months before me and he very quickly noticed the problems with the mount. 

Spangly Shiny | 5 years ago
1 like

Alternatively you could glue in a small piece of an old inner tube. It's a bit thinner than bar tape but won't permanently compress.

bobbydazzler | 5 years ago
1 like

I had the same issue with my Bolt.  The fix I used (and it has worked great for the last year or so) was to cut a small square from some spare bar tape I had and put it in the recessed part of the bracket.  The first few times I put the Bolt on it needed a bit of force, but the tape has compressed now so that you just feel some resistance when twisting it on.  No rattling since!

Latest Comments