Home

Hi folks,

I've tried googling this issue but haven't found anything useful so have come here for your collective wisdom.

I replaced my squashed Garmin 810 with the Element Bolt over a year ago, but after about 6 months the GPS became really loose in mount that it generated an extremely irritating rattle.  I got in touch with Wahoo, and after I sent back my original model I was given a replacement - hurray.

However, now the new one has developed the same problem.  I really can't be bothered going through all the faff again with sending it back (their customer service was good so no issues there).  Is there a way I can bodge a repair to stop the rattle?

Yours in hope,

Bassmanyooowan

7 comments

bobbydazzler [23 posts] 3 days ago
1 like

I had the same issue with my Bolt.  The fix I used (and it has worked great for the last year or so) was to cut a small square from some spare bar tape I had and put it in the recessed part of the bracket.  The first few times I put the Bolt on it needed a bit of force, but the tape has compressed now so that you just feel some resistance when twisting it on.  No rattling since!

Spangly Shiny [226 posts] 3 days ago
0 likes

Alternatively you could glue in a small piece of an old inner tube. It's a bit thinner than bar tape but won't permanently compress.

Paul5f [18 posts] 3 days ago
0 likes

This might not be much help now but never take it off the mount. I just unscrew the mount from my bars with an Allen key when I need to charge it. Luckily for me a friend got one a few months before me and he very quickly noticed the problems with the mount. 

alansmurphy [1946 posts] 1 day ago
1 like

Oh dear, weren't we told the Elemnt was the saviour of GPS - now we learn that they won't stay in a mount for 6 months!

PRSboy [360 posts] 1 day ago
0 likes

If this is a common problem, might Wahoo have produced a modified mount?... might be worth asking them to send the latest mount on a warranty basis.

alansmurphy [1946 posts] 21 hours ago
0 likes

It's not neccessarily the mounts but the rear housing I'd imagine, once you've clicked and turned a couple of hundred times they don't fit like a glove anymore...

SpikeBike [132 posts] 3 hours ago
1 like
alansmurphy wrote:

It's not neccessarily the mounts but the rear housing I'd imagine, once you've clicked and turned a couple of hundred times they don't fit like a glove anymore...

My Garmin mount does and thats after several thousand turns (at least!)