Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alu CX/adventure Bike Suggestions

Hi All,

Since I upgraded the wheels on my Canyon Ultimate and the groupset on my Whyte Wessex (and replaced my Wessex wheels with the ones off the Ultimate), I'm left over with a set of DT Swiss R32 wheels and a hydro groupset (plus a saddle and seatpost I have lying around anyway ).

I had been looking to build up a CX bike from a frameset and making a 1x Shimano (wolftooth) groupset. For this, I'd been looking at the Trek Crockett which was reduced to £600 (from 750), however, it's no longer available in 54cm and the 2019 version is the full £750.

I've worked out the cost of building up a CX bike using all the parts I already have and the parts that I'd need, the cost comes to a bit over £1200 (obviously the £750 frameset makes up most of this). This isn't very economical, seeing as I reckon I could get at least £500 for the wheels and groupset I have left over, which could go on a new bike. I'm keen to hang on to the wheels though!

After all this, I'm left looking for a new CX bike which must conform to the following specs;

• £1200 ish (what I'd have to spend on getting the frame and parts for a CX bike anyway)
  • Aluminium frameset
  • Hydraulic Discs
  • 1x
  • Preference to take up to 40mm tyres
  • Able to do CX, bikepacking (rack/mudguard mounts NOT essential) and the odd bit of road riding.

The Canyon Inflite seems to be topping my list at the moment, any other suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis AT is only £560 at Merlin Cycles at the minute. If it was good enough for Mike Hall....

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

On-One Pickenflick? 

Let's you have a Titanium bike which forfils all your other criteria including price, £700 for the frameset, £1199 for a Rival 22 build or £1399 for a Rival 1 build. 

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
0 likes

My similar spec has really low ratio gears. A SRAM Rival ‘long cage’ mech will take a 42, and with a 34 on the front I can winch up anything, even late in a race. Agree on through axles.

I was thinking of getting another bike with that spec, but I realised I could put a big cassette on my Raleigh CX, and fit a rack to the mudguard mounts, with a seatclamp rack mount gadget.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thru axles are a must too

Latest Comments