Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Brake pad extenders - UK source?

Hi all

I bought some new calipers some time back for my bike, but have just gotten round to fitting them. Unfortunatly they must be a slightly different size to the old ones (I did measure, but don't have calipers unfortunatly) and the brakes blocks won't go down far enough to be clear of the tyre. The difference is minimal, 1 or 2mm would be fine.

I have been looking at break pad extenders such as those in the link below, but can only find distibuters from the Far East. Given the time and/or cost involved in sending over does anyone know of a UK or European source of something similar? I have been Google-ing all night but no luck!

Alternatlily any other thoughts would be great, however I'm not much of a mechanic. The brakes in question are Tiagra rim brakes going on to a 2015 Giant Defy Alu - issue on the rear only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AICAN-Aluminum-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-C-Brake-P...

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

Tektro R539 are long-drop calipers that are available in black finish.

Tektro has a poor rep because some of their cheaper brakes, often fitted as OE, aren't great, though this is partly down to the stock pads being crap. The 539s, however, are good. But if you can justify the R650s I'd get a pair.

Tektro's very similar sounding R359 are for old skool frames without the recessed allen nut fitting.

Shimano R55C3 pads & holders are good, though I like Kool-Stop for wet & winter conditions.

maviczap | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought some of those from Ebay, dead easy to swap your Tiagra pads into the new holder, so long as the Tiagra pads are two piece, not a one piece moulded brake pad.

These have the advantage  of keeping the short reach arms rigidity, whereas the long reach brakes suggested loose a little of their power, but you'd probably not be able to tell?

Or just buy my brand new unused long reach Miche Dual pivot calipers for £25 posted  1

Shades | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a similar issue; 105 calipers on a Genesis Equilibrium.  I replaced my wheels (cracked rim) and the new rear wheel brake pads protruded about 1mm above the rim.  Advice from the mechanic was just cut (or file) a chamfer on the pad.  Seems to work fine and I just keep an eye on it as the pad wears down.

henryb replied to Shades | 5 years ago
0 likes

Shades wrote:

I have a similar issue; 105 calipers on a Genesis Equilibrium.  I replaced my wheels (cracked rim) and the new rear wheel brake pads protruded about 1mm above the rim.  Advice from the mechanic was just cut (or file) a chamfer on the pad.  Seems to work fine and I just keep an eye on it as the pad wears down.

On my Genesis Equilibrium I replaced the stock brakes (which weren't that good) with TRP RG957 long-drop brakes which are fantastic in terms of braking performance and feel:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.TRP-RG957-Dual-Pivot-Long-Drop-Road-Brakes_88000.htm

(If those R650 Ultegra brakes came in black though I'd probably have got them instead, as they're quite a bit cheaper than the TRPs)

Moist von Lipwig | 5 years ago
0 likes

Its a pain that the R650 only come in Silver, when the rest of the groupset may be black.

kil0ran replied to Moist von Lipwig | 5 years ago
0 likes

Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Its a pain that the R650 only come in Silver, when the rest of the groupset may be black.

Velo Orange Grand Cru or TRP 957 are good options.

Also, try the new R7000 & R8000 brakes - they're designed to accomodate 28mm tyres with room to spare so may be a better fit. Have seen reports that they're longer drop than the 5800/6800 brakes.

Moist von Lipwig replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Velo Orange Grand Cru or TRP 957 are good options.

Also, try the new R7000 & R8000 brakes - they're designed to accomodate 28mm tyres with room to spare so may be a better fit. Have seen reports that they're longer drop than the 5800/6800 brakes.

Thanks for that, the TRP's looks pretty good.   I'm actually planning on upgrading to R7000 so thats good to know about the better drop on them.  The rear may be fine as the pad is currently only halfway down the holder on the stock Tektros (switching the pads to swiss stops certainly helped there also) so was planning on re selling the brakes should they not fit.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
2 likes

If it's 1-2mm difference file down the slots, have done this quite a few times, it's only alu alloy so easily done. Also some brake shoes have wider stalks than others so you can gain a tiny bit by finding ones which are narrower.

The R650s are a good brake, I still use my RX100/BR-A550s, the design is so 1990s and honestly it's nicer looking than the modern variants.

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good suggestion, I have those on my winter bike and they're very good indeed.

Latest Comments