Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which Scott roadbike to choose?

I'm going to buy a new roadbike and i need your help, first off my options are limited to scott because of the discount i get from local dealer, so no point giving me other options  1

Foil 10 disc - ultegra di2 , syncros merrit 50mm carbon wheels ( anybody has info what wheels these are ) 

Foil 10 - same as previous one but with rim brake, price is ~500euros cheaper, is the disc brake worth 500eur ?

Foil 20 disc - mechanical ultegra and syncros aluminium wheels, price is about 1000 euros cheaper, i think di2 and syncros carbon wheels are worth the 1000 premium ?

OR

Addict RC15 disc - ultegra di2 and alu wheels, price is same as non-disc Foil10.

Addict RC20 disc- mechanical ultegra and alu wheels.

Pretty much to sum it up my question is: Foil vs Addict ( i live in flat country with no mountains) , is di2 worth about 400-500euros premium over mechanical ultegra, are disc brakes worth +500 euros , and are Syncros merrit wheels worth 600euros ?

Sorry if it's all so confusing, belive me, i am more confused than that text  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ordered the most expensive option friday, damn  4

Foil 10 disc coming in jan-feb  1

Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Only negative thing i have heard about foil is the same brake rub in rim brake version, is it really so big of concern ? Doesn't all aero frames have bb- brakes?

Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Only reason i'm buying complete bike is that i'm getting big discount, money wise i'm probably *winner* whatever model i choose  4

racyrich | 5 years ago
0 likes

It's why I never buy complete bikes.  I got the Foil frame on ebay and built it as I wanted it.

You might be lucky and find a retailer who'll swap kit for you. My first CR1 came with Dura Ace and Ksyriums. I walked away with it with Chorus levers and mechs and no wheels. Perfect.

Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well i'm sold on the di2 as it seems new and interesting. So that leaves me with 3 choices :

Foil 10 - di2 , syncros 50mm carbon wheels

Addict RC15 disc - di2, syncros alu wheels

Foil 10 disc - di2, syncros 50mm carbon wheels ( +500eur more expensive )

I would love to have lower spec Foil, like addict does, which has Disc,Di2 and alu wheels  4

sjalex replied to Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Raikzz wrote:

Well i'm sold on the di2 as it seems new and interesting. So that leaves me with 3 choices :

Foil 10 - di2 , syncros 50mm carbon wheels

Addict RC15 disc - di2, syncros alu wheels

Foil 10 disc - di2, syncros 50mm carbon wheels ( +500eur more expensive )

I would love to have lower spec Foil, like addict does, which has Disc,Di2 and alu wheels  4

Here's a comparison view of the models you've narrowed it down to. 

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=scott-foil-10-2018,scott-foil-10-disc...

The frame geometry view highlights the subtle difference between the two frames. 

racyrich | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Foil 10. I also have 2 Addicts, 2 CR1s and have just come back from a long weekend in Morzine where I had a hired Solace.

For general riding I would choose an Addict over the Foil. The Foil is just too stiff. It also has the under-BB back brake (as did the Solace) and I find that just stupid. Gets gunged up, very hard to adjust, makes wheel changes harder, necessitates an in-line quick release that gets in the way and looks ugly. Addict all the way. Oh, and you can put a frame pump up the seatstay of an Addict - I'm old-fashioned like that!

OR_biker replied to racyrich | 5 years ago
0 likes

racyrich wrote:

For general riding I would choose an Addict over the Foil. The Foil is just too stiff. It also has the under-BB back brake (as did the Solace) and I find that just stupid. Gets gunged up, very hard to adjust, makes wheel changes harder, necessitates an in-line quick release that gets in the way and looks ugly.

That's right, I forgot about the Foil having the BB rear brake, that was a strike against it in my mind when I was looking at them previously.  I've done some maintenance/upgrades for my cousin on his TT bike and that BB-mounted rear brake was a huge pain to adjust.  I also ride with some guys who are on Felt AR's that have that type of brake, and you can always hear some rub on the wheel when they're out of the saddle (apparently having the brake in this location makes it more susceptible to wheel-brake rub).  One of the guys has some new Zipp NSW's and I don't think he can open up the brakes much more and he gets a lot of rub as soon as he gets up to pedal at all.  I guess this would be a benefit of going discs if you really want a Foil.

Raikzz | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well i have no plans of racing, maybe some local TT-race and one group race, but i'm definetly not going for podium spots there, i race mountain bikes and use road bike with powermeter to train my fitness, so my riding are either interval trainings, recovery rides and few long rides. I think i'm going to go Foil route, that way the new bike is completely different as i haven't had a aero bike before, but tabout disc vs rim and di vs mech argument i'm still not sure  4

Griff500 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Two very different bikes, with very different purposes. You don't actually say what kind of cycling you enjoy, apart from flat!
I have an Addict race Ultegra, love it to bits, and would only swap for another one. But I live in France, cycle up mountains every trip, and climbing is my thing. Note that the pro's use addicts for climbing and cobbles cos they're comfy, and foils for time trials. Are you looking to get the last second off your times, or just enjoy the cycling.
Di? I used to scoff, but I do seem to spend a lot of time trying to optimise my ultegra mech for smooth changes and quiet running. I think next time I would go Di.
The disc brake mob will be along in a minute to tell you you will die if you buy rims. Again, a lot comes down to what kind of riding you are doing. I have noticed over the years in a number of sports I've been involved in that Brits always go for this year's latest gadget in the vain hope that it will improve their performance. Same with cycling! Here in France, most of the really nice bikes I see are still rims. Despite the scare stories I have never seen melting rims and exploding tyres on the Ventoux descent.
I guess I'm saying I would go Addict, Di, and could take or leave the disks.

OR_biker replied to Griff500 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Griff500 wrote:

Note that the pro's use addicts for climbing and cobbles cos they're comfy, and foils for time trials..

From what I've heard/read, the Foil is pretty darn comfy for an aero bike, and light as well.  Matt Hayman won P-R on a Foil, so apparently it doesn't beat you up too bad (depending on tires used, obviously).

I was actually hoping to find a Foil for my next bike since I wanted some aero but liked that it was fairly light and reportedly comfy as well, but I was having to look on ebay since I have no local shops that sell Scott anymore.  Had successfully avoided ebay for years, but glad I fell off the wagon as I ended up scoring a lightly-used S-Works Tarmac SL6 frameset for about the same price as a new Foil 20 (rim).  Still waiting on a few small parts but from reviews it sounds like it will also fulfill the light/comfy/aero trifecta that I was hoping for :-).

Good luck with your decision!  I'd personally go for the Foil, either disc or rim, but I'm partial to the look of aero frames.  And from the terrain where you live it sounds like aero gains would benefit you more than fewer grams, but really I'd say whatever has the best feel:look ratio to you  4

Latest Comments