Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alternatives to trek emonda sl / canyon endurace with BSA BB ?

Hello everyone,

I'm newly registered but I've been browsing road.cc site and forum since a few months.

I'm looking to replace my current bike (lapierre alu sl). So far, the best I've found are trek emonda sl and canyon endurace with my idea : not too agressive position, bike for commuting and long distance rides (I'm currently aiming at a 300 km ride, so far my maximum is 160 km), I don't plan to race and I want a bike I can ride all day fast without killing the back of my neck.

I'm still undecided on disc brake or not.

Although my main issue with the 2 bikes I mentionned is the pressfit BB. I ride when it rains and all year and I am reluctant to go with pressfit BB after all that I heard about it (creaking, poor duration, difficult to change at home). On the other hand, threaded BB is simple, convenient, easy to replace.

So, do you think I am wrong and pressfit BB is inevitable, or do you have in mind other bikes which can accomodate what I seek (endurace-based, fast, not gravel) ?

Thank you for your advices !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Frigo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well thank you for reassuring me !

I found a very attractive anounce for a second hand bike, a very nice caad 10 sram force equipped with carbon wheels  3

So I went with pressfit BB, we'll see how it turns out !

longassballs | 5 years ago
1 like

Bike shop will fit a bb for about £15. But if you're determined to do it yourself then yeah it isn't difficult - if I can do it anyone can!

Don't assume that every press fit creaks either. Also you can get aftermarket bb's from the likes of Wheels Manufacturing that press in on one side but then the other threads in. The only bb standard I would stay clear of is Trek's bb90 however this is based on no personal experience at all. Yeah threaded bb's are better and if you can get the bike you want with one then great but with press fit almost ubiquitous that is really hard to do so I wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker

Frigo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for your answers !

Indeed, I saw the aluminium endurace. I'll wait for 2019 model to see if it's interesting then.

... or I'll wrap my head around and try pressfit, I may have some tutorials to watch in order to make my peace withe these pressfits !

Mathemagician | 5 years ago
1 like

If you want an all year bike then be aware the Endurace has no mudguard mounts, and only the aluminium frame is threaded. On the other hand though, pressfit really isn't that difficult to install...a press tool is something like £30 but all you need is a long threaded rod, some wingnuts that you can screw onto the Rod and some washers big enough to press the cups/bottom bracket into the frame. I prefer threaded but don't be put off by pressfit if you're a reasonably competent home mechanic.

mike the bike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Can't speak for the Emonda but the Endurace is screw thread if you go aluminium.

Latest Comments