Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheelset for lardy social rider

Hi folks,

Looking for some recommendations please for a new set of wheels for my 8 year old Bianchi via Nirone. I do about 750 miles a year mainly on gently undulating Bedfordshire country roads, but each September take part in a c.500 mile relay charity ride in more challenging mountainous regions of France - this year each team member will probably do 130 miles and 8,000 ft of ascents over 3 days.

A spoke recently went on the rear wheel and the hub is getting noisier so am considering upgrading before I go away, but have limited budget - around £200-£300. Some of the sets I've looked at (e.g. Fulcrum race 7 LG) suggest max rider weight of under 100kg (which sadly I'm not - add at least 10% to that!) 

All suggestions welcome - especially from similarly weighty but enthusiastic riders! Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

My gigantex 38mm carbon tubs 24/20 took my then 107kg no bother.

Shit wheels are shit wheels, Mavic factory wheels are rated at 120kg.

I've ridden 32 spoke handbuilt wheels and did a few 3 mile rides with 180kg on board.

700c | 5 years ago
0 likes

A quick google shows campag zonda for £300. Ok they recommend a weight limit of 109kg but they are seriously strong and you'll appreciate the stiffness. I'm a bigger rider, (have been up to 100kg), over potholes, in winter etc and and have never broken a spoke or needed to true in 7 years. Been through several frames though in this time. On my second set now. The latest (C17) allows for larger tyres therefore less stress on the wheel.

Proprietary spoke and rim means they will be redundant when the rims wear out, but this will not be for very many years at your rate of use.

sizbut | 5 years ago
1 like

Read the caveats Hunt put in place for over 95kg and the claim for up to 115kg gets a bit squirrelly. 

Mr. Hunt (strange coincidence) of DCR on the other hand address rider weight pretty straight up and in fact has good articles on many aspects of wheels. Also doesn't shy away for making it clear that his is a pricey option because he only does quality kit but at least that's honest compared to 115kg = 95kg. 

henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Anyone have any experience with these? - "Hunt 4 Season Aero Wheelset" ttps://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-4season-aero-road-wheelset-1589g-28deep-22wide#techspecs - the rider weight limit is 115kg so they might suit the OP.

I'm nowhere near 115kg, but nevertheless looking at these as an upgrade to stock wheels on my Genesis Equilibrium 20 

matthewn5 replied to henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

henryb wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these? - "Hunt 4 Season Aero Wheelset" ttps://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-4season-aero-road-wheelset-1589g-28deep-22wide#techspecs - the rider weight limit is 115kg so they might suit the OP.

I'm nowhere near 115kg, but nevertheless looking at these as an upgrade to stock wheels on my Genesis Equilibrium 20

I had a set of those, they have a fantastically, manically noisy freehub. Seemed solid and used normal J-bend spokes. Weighed in at 1690g with a Campag freehub on my scales. Tubeless compatible.

Strathbean | 5 years ago
0 likes

American classic Hurricane. if you can still find a set, they are very tough wheels and tubeless ready if that is your bag. This from a 100kg rider who has destroyed plenty of less robust wheels.

In my experience aksiums are ok for general use and the price is hard to beat, but treat them as consumable items when they wear out, they are usually not worth fixing unless you are a pretty handy wheelbuilder with a lot of free time, especially when used through the winter.

Richbeck | 5 years ago
2 likes

Speak to David at DCR wheels

cjwebb replied to Richbeck | 5 years ago
0 likes

Richbeck wrote:

Speak to David at DCR wheels

+1 for DCR. David is a real expert and all round top guy

more info here: https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/wheelset-suggestions-2/

Lifetime warranty for spoke replacement and retrues.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you can stretch to the them a set of Hunt Superdura. Alternatively if you're not over 115kgs then pretty much all of the Hunt range is OK for you.

DaSy | 5 years ago
1 like

Another vote for Mavic Aksiums, they are cheap, tough and surprisingly good performers.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
1 like

Mavic Aksiums. Cheap, bombproof hubs, and last until you burn the rims out. You will not break the spokes on them.

sizbut replied to Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
1 like

cyclesteffer wrote:

Mavic Aksiums. Cheap, bombproof hubs, and last until you burn the rims out. You will not break the spokes on them.

Sorry but beg to differ. I've broken spokes on two. And when they do break, you enter a world of hunting for which particular year's model of Aksium it is as the spokes differ between different vintages.

Don't get me wrong, whilst they were true they were superb. If I were under 90kg I would have no hesitation in riding and recommending them as a great way to transform any bike.  

Since I'm not a lightweight (try nearer 105kg);

• My sporting bike (Tripster ATR, no rack, saddle pack only) runs on 32-hole ztr Alpha 400 rims on Hope hubs and has been good for two years now. 

• My touring bike (Tripster ATR with rack and panniers, etc, etc) uses 36-hole Mavic A719 rims on Deore XT hubs.  Only rolling on those for a few months so touch wood but confident so far with the way they've handle rough tracks, canal tow paths etc. when, with luggage included, the bike has at times been carrying a 150kg load. (and if the worst happens much more chance the LBS will have replacement spokes that will fit unlike with the Aksium).

Simon E replied to Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
1 like

cyclesteffer wrote:

The mechanics in my LBS may disagree. They are decent value for factory wheels but with just 20 spokes front & rear they really aren't a good option for the OP.

Fatbloke | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm heavier than you and I've never had a problem with Mavic Aksiums over many miles of commuting.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I weigh 95KG so no lightweight, buy Hunt Wheels, they have been fine over 1000s of miles

For added strength buy 32 spoke triple laced on the rear.  28 spoke up front

Rob_Anderson_UK | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Guys,

BTW, I should have mentioned it's a Shimano set-up (and rim brakes)

check12 | 5 years ago
0 likes

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fu...

new open pro, 19mm internal width, look nice. 

Simon E | 5 years ago
3 likes

Are there any decent wheel builders near you? I'd suggest a 32-spoke pair with traditional rim like Open Pro & 105 hubs (presuming rim brakes). They're not considered glamorous in these carbon-tastic times but likely more reliable and serviceable than most factory wheels. SJS are currently offering them for £226 here. If you want to consider alternatives then Spa Cycles many wheel builds including with a slightly wider H Plus Son rim on this page.

Dnnnnnn replied to Simon E | 5 years ago
3 likes

Simon E wrote:

Are there any decent wheel builders near you? I'd suggest a 32-spoke pair with traditional rim like Open Pro & 105 hubs (presuming rim brakes). They're not considered glamorous in these carbon-tastic times but likely more reliable and serviceable than most factory wheels. SJS are currently offering them for £226 here. If you want to consider alternatives then Spa Cycles many wheel builds including with a slightly wider H Plus Son rim on this page.

Good shout by Simon E.

Beware sexier-looking proprietary wheels where odd spokes and freehubs can't be replaced (or it costs as much as new wheels).

Latest Comments