Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bells on bikes

Just put a bell on your bike easy peasy saves lots of aggro i would rather hear a bell than someone skidding on gravel and frightening me which has happend on tow paths please spare a thought for walkers some can be awkward but then so can cyclists as i have encounterd.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

ChancerOnABike | 5 years ago
0 likes

They work in France a treat. Using either in town or along the canal path always makes me feel like moses. Never fails to get people out the way, and shouting here never works

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

*Sighs*

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
3 likes

I get chased down a shared use path by a dog the other day, while the owner shouted ineffectually after it. “He never does this!” she wailed, as he got right stuck into doing exactly “this”. Useless.

Jimnm | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a bell on my road bike, as stated most people just ignore it. They even ignore a vocal warning. I think that when I get on my bike, I become the invisible man! 

mattsccm | 5 years ago
1 like

Bells do have the advantage that people know what they are. Well decent ones anyway, not the single ring pingers.

A skid indicates that something is stopping too fast. A clicking freewheel means nothing to a non cyclist (or someone with a properly maintained or designed bike. cheeky)  

A voice can work but is so often misued and isn't cycle specific.  A bell says that a bike is coming as a horn says that a motorised vehicle is there.

I refuse to accept that a bell cannot be mounted. They fit bars or the seat post, which is where mine is. . As you should be slowing when approaching a pedestrian or slower cyclist or what ever control isn't an issue. If it is then the riding speed should be slower still.

Of course bells don't work with the dimwits who are deliberatley deaf but remember the idea isn't to get them to move out of your way, its to tell them you are there.  What they do then depedns on their nature as a human.

Nothing of course will work for those with no genuine hearing or they complete antisocial morons who use headphones in public. Its not the wearing thats wrong, its the oblivion to the world around you.

To those who say "bells don't work". Of course they don't always but why should that be an objection to them?  NOTHING works in every situation does it but that never ever is the reason to stop using something.

srchar replied to mattsccm | 5 years ago
1 like

mattsccm wrote:

A clicking freewheel means nothing to a non cyclist (or someone with a properly maintained or designed bike.

There's a vacancy for you in Vicenza.  Mr. Campagnolo clearly didn't know what he was doing when he designed the Record rear hub.

mattsccm wrote:

I refuse to accept that a bell cannot be mounted.

I don't see anyone above saying they can't mount a bell - just that they've had one in the past and it hasn't been of any use.

hawkinspeter replied to mattsccm | 5 years ago
2 likes

mattsccm wrote:

Bells do have the advantage that people know what they are. Well decent ones anyway, not the single ring pingers.

A skid indicates that something is stopping too fast. A clicking freewheel means nothing to a non cyclist (or someone with a properly maintained or designed bike. cheeky)  

A voice can work but is so often misued and isn't cycle specific.  A bell says that a bike is coming as a horn says that a motorised vehicle is there.

I refuse to accept that a bell cannot be mounted. They fit bars or the seat post, which is where mine is. . As you should be slowing when approaching a pedestrian or slower cyclist or what ever control isn't an issue. If it is then the riding speed should be slower still.

Of course bells don't work with the dimwits who are deliberatley deaf but remember the idea isn't to get them to move out of your way, its to tell them you are there.  What they do then depedns on their nature as a human.

Nothing of course will work for those with no genuine hearing or they complete antisocial morons who use headphones in public. Its not the wearing thats wrong, its the oblivion to the world around you.

To those who say "bells don't work". Of course they don't always but why should that be an objection to them?  NOTHING works in every situation does it but that never ever is the reason to stop using something.

Bells also have the disadvantage that they often involve you moving your hand away from the controls.

You can't change the volume of most of them.

You can't change/modulate what information they are conveying.

Using your voice doesn't really have those disadvantages, so why should bells be preferred to human voices?

ClubSmed replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

mattsccm wrote:

Bells also have the disadvantage that they often involve you moving your hand away from the controls.

Using your voice doesn't really have those disadvantages, so why should bells be preferred to human voices?

Indicating also involves moving your hands away from the controls, but this is another important safety manouvre to alert others

I can modulate my bell by the distance that I pull the hammer back, the number and frequency of the pings

Relying onveying of information is not always good, I witnessed a crash a month or so ago where a cyclist anounced "on your left" and the pedestrian took this to mean move to your left and they collided.

Using your voice can have disadvantages of blending in to the other background noise and, if you have been cycling hard, the inability to use it or increase the volume significantly.

Also in my experience you can use a bell to alert at a greater distance. I have also been safely alerted of oncoming bikes round a blind bend by bell several times, never by someone giving istructions that they are aproaching!

I really don't get this being a great debate, it's not like disc brakes vs rim brakes or helmet vs no helmet. In the arguement of Voice vs Bell, if you have a bell that does not stop you using your voice. You can actually use both, unlike the other arguements listed where it's and either/or situation (at any one time).

don simon fbpe replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

mattsccm wrote:

Indicating also involves moving your hands away from the controls, but this is another important safety manouvre to alert others

I can modulate my bell by the distance that I pull the hammer back, the number and frequency of the pings

Relying onveying of information is not always good, I witnessed a crash a month or so ago where a cyclist anounced "on your left" and the pedestrian took this to mean move to your left and they collided.

Using your voice can have disadvantages of blending in to the other background noise and, if you have been cycling hard, the inability to use it or increase the volume significantly.

Also in my experience you can use a bell to alert at a greater distance. I have also been safely alerted of oncoming bikes round a blind bend by bell several times, never by someone giving istructions that they are aproaching!

I really don't get this being a great debate, it's not like disc brakes vs rim brakes or helmet vs no helmet. In the arguement of Voice vs Bell, if you have a bell that does not stop you using your voice. You can actually use both, unlike the other arguements listed where it's and either/or situation (at any one time).

If you have to take your hand off the steering wheel to indicate, your car has been designed badly, otherwise which controls are you referring to?

The dude that crashed after shouting "on your left" would probably have crashed with a bell too, method of warning wasn't the contributing factor. Not being able to stop was.

I am often belled by cyclists on the tow path as they fly through, I perceive them as being demanding in that there is a ring and the rider expects to come through. There is no disputing that it's a bike though, and often coming through at speed.

Personally I don't care if it's a bell or an audible warning, if it's a shared path, share it.

I give an audible warning, moderate speed and pass to the tones of a cheery "thanks" or a wave, very few dickheads out there these days. But like everywhere, they exist.

The knobends are those who pass in absolute silence, often fully lycraed up, so not casual riders/peeps on bikes, but cyclists (as we so often like to differentiate ourselves)

Mark B replied to don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

If you have to take your hand off the steering wheel to indicate, your car has been designed badly, otherwise which controls are you referring to?

I assume he meant indicating on your bike, i.e. sticking your arm out, which obviously does remove your hands from the controls.

don simon fbpe replied to Mark B | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mark B wrote:

don simon wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

I assume he meant indicating on your bike, i.e. sticking your arm out, which obviously does remove your hands from the controls.

fair enough,

ClubSmed replied to don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

mattsccm wrote:

The dude that crashed after shouting "on your left" would probably have crashed with a bell too, method of warning wasn't the contributing factor. Not being able to stop was.

I am often belled by cyclists on the tow path as they fly through, I perceive them as being demanding in that there is a ring and the rider expects to come through. There is no disputing that it's a bike though, and often coming through at speed.

Personally I don't care if it's a bell or an audible warning, if it's a shared path, share it.

I give an audible warning, moderate speed and pass to the tones of a cheery "thanks" or a wave, very few dickheads out there these days. But like everywhere, they exist.

The knobends are those who pass in absolute silence, often fully lycraed up, so not casual riders/peeps on bikes, but cyclists (as we so often like to differentiate ourselves)

I was talking about indicating on a bicycle, sorry if that was not obvious.

I believe that if the person that shouted "on your left" had a bell then they would have been able to alert the pedestrian earlier. I believe that bells can be heard and recognised at a greater distance. This would have enabled the pedestrian to move to one side and the cyclist plenty of time to go around them on the other side. In my experience, most of the time, if you are close enough to give instruction then you probably don't have enough time to react to what you are not expecting.

How do cyclists without a bell alert people that they are coming round a blind corner?

fenix replied to mattsccm | 5 years ago
3 likes

mattsccm wrote:

My Brompton has a single ring pinger. I'm sure people recognise it as a bike bell.

Do you really have a bell on the seatpost ?? That sounds dangerous.

If you're on a shared use path then you have to accept that you can't ride fast. Walkers have as much right as you do and you'd be foolish to speed past any kind of dog. I'm always slower and covering the brakes.

Just a bit of understanding from everyone makes for a much more pleasant day I find. 

hawkinspeter replied to fenix | 5 years ago
2 likes

fenix wrote:

If you're on a shared use path then you have to accept that you can't ride fast. Walkers have as much right as you do and you'd be foolish to speed past any kind of dog. I'm always slower and covering the brakes.

Just a bit of understanding from everyone makes for a much more pleasant day I find. 

On a shared use path, walkers can be considered to have more rights than cyclists in that they have priority. That even applies to split-use paths where there's a pedestrian and cyclist lane - even when the pedestrian is on the wrong side.

With dogs, there is a clear legal responsibility for the owner to keep it under control in shared spaces, but you're right about being cautious around them as they can be so unpredictable (also, I love dogs so wouldn't want to hurt them - people, less so).

Crippledbiker replied to mattsccm | 5 years ago
0 likes
mattsccm wrote:

I challenge you to fit one to a handcycle.

The bars rotate or aren't present, the seat post either doesn't exist or is behind my back with a metal plate between it and me, and removing my hands from my controls isn't as simple as it is for you; I need to then catch my controls again, since they move with the cranks.

Best I've managed is a Hornit, with the button wire loomed into my brake and gear cables - but they're not exactly friendly sounding. Lovely and loud, though, they go straight through headphones.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
4 likes

Sometimes it can be tricky to spot pedestrians if they're just over the brow of a hill, so maybe it'd be more thoughtful if they were to carry 6 foot poles with a flag on top to make them easier to spot.

don simon fbpe replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

Sometimes it can be tricky to spot pedestrians if they're just over the brow of a hill, so maybe it'd be more thoughtful if they were to carry 6 foot poles with a flag on top to make them easier to spot.

That's what's used by those 4x4 hooligans out in the desert/dunes.

hawkinspeter replied to don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
6 likes

don simon wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

That's what's used by those 4x4 hooligans out in the desert/dunes.

I don't care what 16 hooligans do, this is a new safety initiative.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
2 likes

Dogs on shared use paths are the bane of my commute. On ten metres of lead, if they’re on a lead at all. All is fine if the dog or owner has half a brain, but there’s plenty with barely that between them.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
2 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Dogs on shared use paths are the bane of my commute. On ten metres of lead, if they’re on a lead at all. All is fine if the dog or owner has half a brain, but there’s plenty with barely that between them.

My friend who cycles to do her care work was attacked by a dog off its leash in the common (where you are allowed to cycle) last month and knocked her over. Not only injured with a badly bruised leg, arm, hand but she banged her head too with a cut on her forehead, she was really upset too and called me as she just wanted someone to be with her.

Dog owner did fuck all but shrug shoulders, didn't help her at all, but people don't want to talk about these incidents where dog owners just let them run free without any consideration for others!

Mungecrundle replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
2 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

vonhelmet wrote:

My friend who cycles to do her care work was attacked by a dog off its leash in the common (where you are allowed to cycle) last month and knocked her over. Not only injured with a badly bruised leg, arm, hand but she banged her head too with a cut on her forehead, she was really upset too and called me as she just wanted someone to be with her.

Dog owner did fuck all but shrug shoulders, didn't help her at all, but people don't want to talk about these incidents where dog owners just let them run free without any consideration for others!

"Were you there, are you taking the side of someone without any evidence, you know which is exactly what the police don't do?

Too many bullshit stories about how a cyclist did this and that have made me and many others wary of accepting one persons version of events with no other witness/other party chiming in."

Copyright BehindTheBikesheds 2018

Double standards my friend.

atgni replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

Highway Code Rule 56. Keep it (the dog) on a short lead when walking on ... path shared with cyclists or horse riders.
No mention of whether the cyclists or horse riders need their bikes or horses with then at the time.

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
3 likes

Bells are the devil's work. When walking down the tow path a bell usually means 'I'm coming through" and there isn't really a plan B. A quick notification of "on your left/right" more often than not gets an acknowledgement of thank. Of course, there are some prize dildos out there too like the fellow who claimed he'd hear a bell in spite of not hearing me alerting him with an oral warning.
I wish peds wore hi viz so they can be seen on darker evenings, they should also have front and rear lights while walking to the left. All for your own safety.

srchar | 5 years ago
4 likes

You don't ride a bike, do you Bonnie?

As you correctly point out, some people are awkward no matter what their mode of transport; everyone's an individual.  Which is why some cyclists will ring a bell at you, some will shout "hello" or "excuse me", and some will make a noise that lets others know a bike is approaching, by skidding the back wheel on gravel or perhaps freewheeling so that you can here the clicking of a freewheel.

I'm in the clicky freewheel/shout "hello" camp, so no, I won't be fitting a bell to my bike.  Not because I'm awkward, but because experience has told me that a bike bell is roundly ignored.

Another titbit for you, Bonnie - not everyone defines themselves by their mode of transport.  Sometimes, I ride a bike.  I'm also quite partial to a day out walking.  I understand that everyone has a different approach to things, so I don't waste my time posting on forums asking people to change their behaviour just to please me.

pastyfacepaddy | 5 years ago
8 likes

Surely slowing down and a cheery 'morning / afternoon' followed by 'rider left/right' is more polite than ringing a bell at them?

Once past a group of 10 older walkers on a shared use path and everyone was fine with the above apart from one old girl who made a snarky comment of 'don't bikes have bells anymore?' as I slowly rode past. She seemed quite taken aback when i said 'actually I prefer to speak to people than ring a bell at them as it seems a little more friendly don't you think?'.

The amused looks on the faces of the other walkers indicated she was a serial complainer of all things life related and wasn't used to people answering back to her.  1

andyp | 5 years ago
5 likes

or they have headphones on, or are that special class of person who will deliberately obstruct you because they hate the fact that you're 'demanding' them to move'. A few polite words much better IME.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
1 like

My single speed has a halo clickster on it at the moment. That gets people’s attention. Freewheel for a moment and everyone turns to see what the racket is.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

I tend to progress from Excuse Me through Oi to Look Out to Ouch. But equally I tend to ride at a speed I can stop easily at if I'm sharing some crappy shared-use path with pedestrians. It's the headless ones stepping in to the road I'm most wary of. Definitely not moving my hands from my brakes to ring a bell. I might use it when I'm a few seconds away just to see if they're paying attention but that's more on rural roads round here that don't have pavements. 

fenix | 5 years ago
3 likes

I prefer to talk to people - you can alter your volume and tone. . Easier and I've both hands covering the brakes.

Anyone who's skidding on gravel isn't going to use a bell. Sensible riders don't skid. Our tyres are too valuable.

ConcordeCX | 5 years ago
6 likes

How will we know it's you so that we can ring it, rather than one of the people who don't like cyclists ringing bells at them, or one of the deaf people like me who can't hear them and would prefer it if cyclists just slowed down a bit and kept their distance? Perhaps you could help us by wearing a tabard with suitable instructions, in several languages, on the back.

Pages

Latest Comments