Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Love cycling, hate commuting!

On moving house I thought that the additional commute into work would be awesome! I love cycling as a weekend warrior, sportive sensation and Wednesday wobbler (avec biere) and who wouldn’t want an extra couple of k per year on their Strava. Moved from a mile each way (pootling) to an undulating 9 miles each way with a variety of route options; hilly and quiet, faster but busier b-road and some in between. Why don’t I like it?

Trouble is, I only started a couple of weeks ago, weather has been glorious! If it’s annoying me now, October through February isn’t going to be pleasant… Any top tips on enjoying the commute?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
2 likes

Some very sensible advice above.

Make sure you have some full length mudguards would be the most important advice. Good quality wet weather clothing is also a must along with reliable lights.

I'd also say that those crisp winter days with the winter sun can actually be a joy to cycle in, it's nice to not get to work a sweaty mess as is happening right now.

Does your work have showers and lockers for your gear? That all makes a big difference.

Also don't feel like you have to commute every single day by bike. If it's chucking it down out there then you are allowed to have a day off and get the train/drive instead!

What I would say is that a commute is a great way of keeping your fitness up as you can do some intervals and incorporate some hills into your day. In the winter in can be hard sometimes to get the miles in and IMO commuting in the winter is still much preferable to the turbo trainer.

nniff | 5 years ago
4 likes

Get a rack and a pannier.  Rucksacks are sweaty things.

Neoprene overshoes for the winter, with HotHands handwarmers inside on top of your shoes/toes if it's really baltic.

Decent waterproof jacket, plus a cheap spare in the office for when the weather forecast lies.

Leave shoes and suits in the office.  Rotate suits etc through the dry cleaner.  You need 4 items a day (shirt, tie, underwear, socks).  If you don't have 4 items, something's missing: far easier than thinking if you've got everything.  Pack everything into a rubble sack - it keeps it all in a neat block and they are waterproof, unlike rucksacks.

Good lights, two of each front and back in case the battery goes flat.  If you don't look like a Christmas tree, you're doing it wrong - day or night.

Decathlon wotsit 900 gloves - really warm.  Decathlon microfibre towel - dries quickly.

Ultra-light gilet - best bit of clothing ever for commuting.  Warm, and easy to remove at the lights (if you're not wearing a rucksack).

Come to terms with getting wet from time to time - wet mornings are worse.

Persuade your employer to get heated lockers to dry stuff.

Find some reflective wrist bands - some have flashing LEDS - good for peripheral vision for those who half pass and then forget that you are there, and for turn signals.

Runners reflective tabard

Chap stick

I also carry a Petzl e-lite micro headtorch, for fixing punctures in the dark.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

I had an 11 mile commute [each way] (which then became a 16 mile commute when I went back to uni) and has now reduced to a 7.5 mile commute now I'm working. EIther way, my usual commute is a comparable distance to yours.

Firstly, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuWgGzNCK8 that covers almost everything I'd point out.

• Prepare the night before (bag and bike ready the night before so all you need to do is hop on your bike)
  • Go lightweight (leave lock and shoes etc at work)
  • Mix it up, different routes
  • Treat yourself occasionally (have coffee and cake at work)
  • Take it easy (there's nothing wrong with doing some hard commutes - but don't overdo it)
  • Take a day off

I did almost all my 16 mile each way commute over winter. Rain and negative temperatures were pretty usual, I looked forward to my commute almost all the time as it split the day up. Just make sure you have some REALLY good winter kit, mudguards and try and get your kit dry throughout the day.

Pages

Latest Comments