Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel Upgrade...will I notice the difference up hills?

Hi,

I'm a medium weight (70kg) rider and regularly do a few hills around Surrey, UK. 

I'm thinking of upgrading my hoops from Shimano RS11s (came with Scott Solace 30) to either Zonda C17 or Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelset. Both sets are ~400g lighter than the RS11s and cost around £300 (~ twice the price of the RS11s).

Before I splash out just wondered if anyone else has made a similar upgrade and if so, will I notice any difference from the stock wheels, especially up hills?

Some research suggests the difference may be marginal and not worth the effort / cost.

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers all,

Steve

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

alansmurphy replied to Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

No, It's rhetoric. The benefits are small.

Spend the cash on a power meter instead. WAY more useful.

On a long climb (30 mins plus) wheels may save seconds.

The power meter can save you MINUTES.

Do you think so? I only started using HR a year or so ago and am now a convert, speed is just an output, controlling the ability to push a much better measure. It'll be hard to convince me to spend so much on a piece of tech, why does it make such a difference?

CXR94Di2 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

Do you think so? I only started using HR a year or so ago and am now a convert, speed is just an output, controlling the ability to push a much better measure. It'll be hard to convince me to spend so much on a piece of tech, why does it make such a difference?

A power meter is a good tool, but when used with a HR they work very well together.  You learn quickly at particular heart rate you can make at a certain power figure.  This is easy to measure and see when doing indoor training with both devices.  I now only use HR when outside and so know when at a  particular HR, I'm in, lets say sweetspot zone.  Obviously seeing a power number is more accurate, but HR and feel once experienced is nearly as good and will do if you're climbing an alpine route.

Russell Orgazoid replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

Speaking honestly, I would rather have an £1K boggo bike with a PM than a £3K bike without. 400quid or so gets you a good PM and isn't THAT much if you ride your bike lots but people do like to see something tangible for their money. Bling wheels or Dura-Record on an otherwise mundane componant. Fast riding is largely about the ENGINE....meaning you the rider.

They are not just for racers. Audax riders, sportive riders etc can all benefit. I have. HRMs are OK but a PM offers much more.

Search power meters in youtube. DurianRider videos are funny too but he is marmite too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--o2LNg_Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFqOsVrvQlY

shufflingb replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

The difference is heart rate lags physical effort and tends to smooth it out, whereas measured power is closer to the real-time instantaneous effort.  Theoretically, if the riding situation changes quickly enough a Power Meter may provide better guidance. To realise this improvement though, changes can't be too quick as the individual still needs time to respond to the guidance.

fwiw I've used HRM's for many years and now have an accurate PM on my smart trainer. Power is definitely useful on the turbo for training. If I was regularly road riding for hour plus type times I would want one. However, imho I wouldn't put a PM ahead of wheels; unlike power meters,  nice wheels are a useful improvement every ride and are unlikely to become either significantly cheaper or  obsolete as rapidly.

madcarew replied to shufflingb | 6 years ago
0 likes

shufflingb wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

The difference is heart rate lags physical effort and tends to smooth it out, whereas measured power is closer to the real-time instantaneous effort.  Theoretically, if the riding situation changes quickly enough a Power Meter may provide better guidance. To realise this improvement though, changes can't be too quick as the individual still needs time to respond to the guidance.

fwiw I've used HRM's for many years and now have an accurate PM on my smart trainer. Power is definitely useful on the turbo for training. If I was regularly road riding for hour plus type times I would want one. However, imho I wouldn't put a PM ahead of wheels; unlike power meters,  nice wheels are a useful improvement every ride and are unlikely to become either significantly cheaper or  obsolete as rapidly.

Another downside of HR is that as you approach (and exceed) max VO2 the HR / Power relationship becomes less and less linear, making higher power efforts much more difficult to judge with just HR. 

alansmurphy replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

madcarew wrote:

Another downside of HR is that as you approach (and exceed) max VO2 the HR / Power relationship becomes less and less linear, making higher power efforts much more difficult to judge with just HR. 

When I get past zone 4.5 I can't even read the bloody bike computer  1

Stef Marazzi | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 to the fact you will be able to ride a gear or two harder going up hills. Acceleration, and stiffness should be noticeably better too. Note that Zonda and Fulcrum 3 are essentially the same wheel. Different stickers and spoke pattern.

steve_s1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

....and yes Kev, Surrey roads are a disgrace!

The council certainly don’t seem to invest enough in tarmac round here!

steve_s1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback all...looks like I’ll be splashing some cash! smiley

Grahamd | 6 years ago
3 likes

Friend and myself both upgraded our wheels in quick succession, I went for Shimano C24 for weight and he went for Hunts for aero. We both noticed improvements, my climbing improved slightly, his flat speed appreciably, but the biggest difference for both of us was the handling and responsiveness. 

So for riding pleasure a good investment, for performance gain my next set of wheels will be aero.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
1 like

You should notice the difference in acceleration. Certainly on long climbs you will notice probably riding one gear bigger for longer. Other than acceleration you won't notice much difference on the flat.

A lighter wheel will be more responsive when going down tight twisty hills, as well as being better at avoiding the potholes on those awful Surrey roads.

You should put these on your shortlist too. Running them tubeless will make a difference too.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/product...

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

Tbh, you won't notice a MASSIVE difference uphill - really that's down to raw power.

I upgraded to Zondas from a stock wheelset a couple years ago (before I made the switch to deep section aero disc brake wheels - which do weigh a bit - but that's a different matter!).

What I REALLY noticed was how stiff the Zondas were compared to my 32 spoke wheels. So stiff in fact that I switched to running 90 psi rather than 100+. The wheels felt like they span up quicker and felt more responsive when accelerating. I have no evidence to suggest this is the case, but they felt much more nippy to me.

I am confident you will notice a significant difference in the performance and feeling. It's a worth while upgrade! The zondas look stunning btw (if you go for them).

Pages

Latest Comments