Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Interesting read about BB press fits

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/02/bottom-brackets-wrestling-with-the-new-s...

As I mentioned in an earlier thread about noisy/creaky/clunking BB's It is summed up with the following section in the article,

"The dreaded creak and click of bottom brackets was already commonplace for threaded bottom brackets, but the incidence may be on the rise because manufacturers are failing to satisfy the strict tolerances for the new threadless standards".

Some consider the new standards as nothing more than a cost-cutting measure, however it makes sense to mould bearing seats into the bottom bracket of a carbon frame when the material is so poorly suited to cutting threads.

Yes please! whats stopping them, you pay £3000-£10,000 I am pretty sure that cyclists are prepared to pay £100 more to have moulded bearing seats in the BB, especially if it means reducing the creak and click:) 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
1 like

Hambini has a great video on just how sloppy BB shell tolerances are from a small sample of frame makers.

Sorry, Boardman and Cannondale fans, they're the worst culprits. Their variance seems to be all over the place, with awful tolerances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHkbb-o

Surprisingly enough, it's Look and Time that come out the best, and Specialized didn't do too shabbily.

pablo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Weight. Would mean for marketing purposes your light as air frame will always be heavier than the competition.
From personal experience side play (tolerance across the shell) is also a factor probably more than O/D issues. The number of people who try everything to get the cups to stop squeaking but even small amounts of side play between the bearing and crank spindle can be noisy. I measured the shells on mine and they are within tolerance but the width across the BB was about 0.5mm out of tolerance.

Latest Comments