Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless tyres popping off - DT swiss valve leak?

Hi all,

Just went out to garage and front tyre was almost flat, rear tyre totally flat and had popped off the bead. Thankfully popped back on with track pump.

Schwalbe Pro Ones 25mm on 18mm internal DT Swiss tubeless ready rims.
DT Swiss tubeless tape and valves. Put in 50ml of Stans sealant. Left them with 110psi in to help tyre stay on rim.

Tyres went on last weekend, front one track pump and rear one with compressor. Did an hour ride the next day, the front had lost 20 psi that first night but rear was still perfect.

I think I am losing pressure around the valves with tiny leak, have tried them pinch tight and also really tight. The sealant doesn't seep out anywhere but guess is hard to get sealant around the valve being on inside of rim.

Anything I can do to get them seal better or any other valve options?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Boombang | 7 years ago
0 likes

I fitted Stan's valves and solved it, as I posted above.

3 months and many miles later still fine.

azmio | 7 years ago
0 likes

After more than 6 months of using Dt Swiss RR21 wheelset, I noticed that my tubeless setup was leaking air at the point where the valve sticks out of the wheel. I tried tightening the nut but the air still came out. After few days trying to solve it, I noticed that the air leaks through the tape and spoke holes. Once air goes into the spoke holes, no matter how much you tigthen the valve nut, it will still leak air. Remove the old tape and apply the new one. When applying the new tape make sure that the tape is offset a bit if the spoke holes are offset from the center. 

Boombang | 7 years ago
0 likes

Swapped to Stan valves and got tyres onto my rim braked bike for summer. The DT valves wouldn't seal on these due to curve but also noticed that valve hole is slighyly oversized.

Either way on both sets of DT rims the Stans valves fit better and sealed first time.

One tyre was a shit to fit (compressor, soapy water and lots of swearing), the other went on again dry with a track pump.

Boombang | 7 years ago
0 likes

I really only did it as have 3 sets of tubeless ready DT rims, they had come with tape and valves, I've got a compressor, and Schwalbe Pro Ones were same price as Schwalbe Ones.

The Schwalbe Ones blew me away after using Contis before, but the Pro Ones offer another big step up in comfort.

Still running them at 110psi as a little paranoid about bead popping off, but the feel is comparable to a 17mm internal rim a Schwalbe extra light tube with 25mm One @ 80/85 psi.

They really are that comfortable and grip is increasing with each KM.

I'm not a convert, but that's purely down to the valves at the moment - once find one that fits better I'll be pretty happy.

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry about this Mike the Bike - it's nothing personal...., Burn the heretic - Burn the heretic - Burn the heretic.....

Boombang | 7 years ago
0 likes

Think have sussed it, only bit of time will tell.

When first fitted them it was near zero, the Stans sealant felt slimey / slippery. Today whipped out valve cores and topped up sealant, was about 10 degrees and the sealant was sticky. Wondering if Stan doesn't like the cold, bit of comparative warmth helped it.

And yes these DT swiss valves seem badly thought out, and don't seal well with the curves shape of the rim. They would never seal on rim brake DT Swiss rims on the other bike (which are also tubeless ready).

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've 3 set of wheels in tubeless. One set is completely immune to air loss after months another pair last a few months before pressure dips. I have a pair which are new and need a little topping up, but I know this will settle down after a few rides. I was abroad recently and had a slow puncture, but allowed me to ride for 10 miles re inflate and had no further problems.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
2 likes

I know I will get shouted at but this is yet another story that makes me so glad I haven't yet taken the plunge with tubeless.  I'm convinced the technology is not yet ready for the market and I'm hanging on for some huge leap forward in tyre sealing.

KiwiMike replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

mike the bike wrote:

I know I will get shouted at but this is yet another story that makes me so glad I haven't yet taken the plunge with tubeless.  I'm convinced the technology is not yet ready for the market and I'm hanging on for some huge leap forward in tyre sealing.

No shouting here mate  1

Seriously, tubeless nowadays mostly just works. Buy a tubeless wheelset and you avoid all sealing issues. tubeless tyres are now pretty much the same weight as their tubed siblings. Performance is provably better. Flats are pretty much a thing of the past, and major punctures either seal themselves or can be repaired in seconds using the awesome Slime Tubeless Repair Kit http://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-r...

There's no waiting for tubeless to be 'ready for the market'. It's here. It works. 

kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Check that you still have a decent amount of sealant (first install will have a good deal of it absorbed into the tyre). Also check that you haven't misplaced the little rubber o-ring that goes under the valve nut. Having said that I absolutely hate DT Swiss valves. I had one I couldn't seal no matter how tight I did the valve nut, replaced it with a Stan's valve, problem fixed.

Boombang | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yup that's basically what I did, even shook the wheels with valve at lowest point to try and spread sealant around them.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Stan's tape, clean all surfaces with degreaser/brake clean. Also use soapy water around bead when first install, aids bead seal. When installing valve make a small 'X' shape in tape with sharp knife. Press valve firmly into place and thread locking on tight. Any gaps will be sealed by sealant. I also roll wheel around all directions for 5 mins after new install.

Latest Comments