Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Groupset

Hi All,

I am wanting to upgrade my groupset and am eyeing up shimano 105. But there are two questions that I am wanting answers to  and am sure that you folks out there can help.

1) I have Quest ennerdale wheels which carry my current 8 speed cassette will it take the 11 speed 105, if so will I need an adaptor ring and will this come with my new groupset if I do?

2) The bike is a Giant Defy, will the BB, BSA threaded fit?

The answer to both these I think is YES but I just want to be sure before committing myself to the purchase and then finding that it's NO, which would not be good.

Cheers in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Roadie_john | 7 years ago
0 likes

Or have some very nice 8-10s wheels you want to keep...

0 likes

*correction* You can run 11s on an 8s freehub if you remove one of the single cogs and spacers from the middle of the cassette, and use a thinner spacer onboard of the new, shorter cassette. But that leaves you with 10 cogs with a big jump in the middle and is a faff. Less so than machining the freehub and cheaper than buying a converter cassette from edco. It's basically a dodge if you want to go to 11s but can't afford to upgrade the wheels yet.

0 likes

An 11 speed cassette won't fit an 8s freehub. It's possible, but very unlikely, that giant used an 11s hub and spaced it to 8s as has been suggested. You should be able to fit 10s to an 8s freehub (tiagra 4700 is very good), but if the group set is really on the way out then I'd expect the wheels and hubs to be showing their age before the mechs and shifters. You may need new wheels anyway. New group set plus wheels would be a lot to spend against a second hand/last year spec new bargain. The question is whether the frameset is worth upgrading, kept with lower spec kit as a spare/winter bike or sold/part-exed for a new bike... 

Nat Jas Moe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks dottigirl

My groupset has just about had it which is why I'm thinking of a new one and upgrading. This is my only bike so has to be used for the daily commute as well as my sportive / training rides, so 100k plus. Frame is still in good order, but now has some carbon forks after a slight coming together with a car. Didn't want to get a new bike quite yet and will need to save up a little more anyway.

As far as spacers are I don't recall any spaces on there, although I simply may have forgotten, hence my querie.

dottigirl replied to Nat Jas Moe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Spacers - get one of your front lights and shine it down between the largest sprocket and the spokes. You may be able to see the spacer(s).
Have you done any pricing up? My feeling is the cost of a group set (plus fitting and extra parts such as cables) versus the price of a decent second-hand bike won't be that different. And it's always useful to have a spare bike.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wheels - if they are 11-speed compatible, I'd expect that there are currently a few spacers behind the current cassette. Are there?

I know my Fulcrums used the spacer supplied plus 1-2 further, thinner spacers to get the 8-speed cassette to fit and not rock. To fit 11-speed, you just remove the spacers. 

Pics would probably help of the BB. However, if this is the bike:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/2013-giant-defy-4--compact--2013

It looks like square taper, which will be threaded and easy enough to replace with Hollowtech.

I've just replaced the 2300 groupset on my first road bike (Spesh Dolce) with a mix of Tiagra and 105.  However, I've only done this as the old groupset had done about 20k miles and was simply knackered and barely functioning, and I had spare bits. Tbh, I'm not certain the Defy 4 frameset is worthy of this upgrade.  Financially, it may be better to buy another bike with a better groupset, swap the stock wheels with your Quests and use your Defy as a runaround.

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
1 like

The Defy 105 is pretty cheap second hand. Might be better off selling your one and putting it towards a newer 2nd hand one with 105.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

To answer your questions:

1. More than likely not as the jump from 8 speed to 11 speed is large. There is not enough room without the lockring being outboard of the end of the axle so that the freehub would not turn when clamped into the bike.

2. This is difficult to answer without knowing your current bb model and/or crankset. BSA threaded BB's have various models to fit 22mm (SRAM), 24mm (Shimano) and 30mm crank spindles.

And inspect the BB bearings. If rough/pitted or has flat spots replace with new. Also be sure you use 11 speed chains as the chain OD is narrower to accommodate the 11 speed cog spacing.

Hope this helps.

Nat Jas Moe replied to VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

To answer your questions:

1. More than likely not as the jump from 8 speed to 11 speed is large. There is not enough room without the lockring being outboard of the end of the axle so that the freehub would not turn when clamped into the bike.

2. This is difficult to answer without knowing your current bb model and/or crankset. BSA threaded BB's have various models to fit 22mm (SRAM), 24mm (Shimano) and 30mm crank spindles.

And inspect the BB bearings. If rough/pitted or has flat spots replace with new. Also be sure you use 11 speed chains as the chain OD is narrower to accommodate the 11 speed cog spacing.

Hope this helps.

The BB is FSA BB-7420ST so not sure what size this means but it has a Shimano square taper BB in at the momment. It's a 2013 model.

Also found some info on the wheels and they are said to be 9/10/11 speed compatable

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

What year is your bike? I have a 2016 Defy and the bottom bracket is BB86, not threaded.

Latest Comments