Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Autumn Classics

ACL?

WTF?

So used to picking teams for a stage race, I swear I have absolutely no idea how to do this one.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

Montreal & Quebec are both WT though, no? Therefore should get the nod over anything .HC around the same time.

Saying that, and at the risk of opening an enormous can of worms, I do think there's a case for both Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino...

enrique replied to Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

Montreal & Quebec are both WT though, no? Therefore should get the nod over anything... I do think there's a case for both Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino...

I'm not against either, but, just like we have a core of races for the Spring Classics, I think we should have a core of races for the Autumn/Fall Classics... Here's where Wikipedia comes in handy...  4

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

... I... think there's a case for both Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino...

I agree...  39 That competition is called the 'Autumn Classics'... Shouldn't it be composed mainly, if not only of, 'Classics' races? That's what the name of the competition implies, doesn't it? Otherwise, just call it Fall Races... I think we should give a nod to the fact that Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino are considered 'Classics' and have them included... I don't understand why they're being excluded...  39 Is there a reason why?...  39 They're important and prestigious and the start lists shouldn't be that hard to get... Why are they being excluded?...  39 And didn't we have both of them last year?... And who gets to decide or propose what races get included in the 'Fall Classics' and why do they get changed around so much each year? Why don't you stick to the actual 'Fall Classics'? And why does it get named 'Fall'or 'Autumn' Classics if it isn't composed of 'Fall' or 'Autumn' Classics?  45

dave atkinson replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:

... I... think there's a case for both Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino...

I agree...  39 That competition is called the 'Autumn Classics'... Shouldn't it be composed mainly, if not only of, 'Classics' races? That's what the name of the competition implies, doesn't it? Otherwise, just call it Fall Races... I think we should give a nod to the fact that Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino are considered 'Classics' and have them included... I don't understand why they're being excluded...  39 Is there a reason why?...  39 They're important and prestigious and the start lists shouldn't be that hard to get... Why are they being excluded?...  39 And didn't we have both of them last year?... And who gets to decide or propose what races get included in the 'Fall Classics' and why do they get changed around so much each year? Why don't you stick to the actual 'Fall Classics'? And why does it get named 'Fall'or 'Autumn' Classics if it isn't composed of 'Fall' or 'Autumn' Classics?  45

who gets to decide? we do. the logic in this case is extremely simple: those six races are the WorldTour ones. we don't include every race, so there will always be some in and some out. We do try and include every WorldTour race though.

And no, you didn't get either Paris-Tours or Milan-Torino last year.

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

...I think we should give a nod to the fact that Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino are considered 'Classics' and have them included... They're important and prestigious and the start lists shouldn't be that hard to get... Why are they being excluded?...

I just get nostalgic with the word 'Classics'. It invokes memories of a particular kind of race. It means something, it refers to a particular set of races... I just wonder why we don't include those romantic, historic races... Is it too much trouble at the end of the year? I think they're more beautiful than World Tour races and they would fit in nicely in the competition... Especially one named 'Autumn Classics'... Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about what you name the competition, I just think they would be pretty cool races to run in the competition... I'm not complaining...  4 No, really  4 God knows I'm tired of all this clicking and selecting riders that won't honor my request to do well in a race... I just wonder why such beautiful, historic races that are 'Classics' to many folks don't get the nod of approval to be selected for this competition...

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

... I do think there's a case for both Paris-Tours and Milano-Torino...

I know it's not going to happen, but, just in case, here's the Cyclingnews calendar for October for these races and it seems like Milano-Torino and the Giro del Piemonte don't conflict with anythng on the calendar right now... And Paris Tours, well, it does conflict with the Tour of Beijing, but, wouldn't it be nice to run them?...  4

enrique replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

enrique wrote:

I know it's not going to happen, but... it seems like Milano-Torino and the Giro del Piemonte don't conflict with anythng on the calendar... Paris Tours... does conflict with the Tour of Beijing, but...

Damn, Dave, I'll plead!  1 Can we have Milano-Torino and the Giro del Piemonte on the schedule, please?... And (!) if you think about it, the Tour of Beijing and Paris Tours are on different time zones (!) So they wouldn't conflict timewise(!)  4

Dave Atkinson wrote:

...And no, you didn't get either Paris-Tours or Milan-Torino last year.

Damn, Dave, I'm a little confused, too, 'cause you said we didn't have Paris Tours or Milan-Torino last year but there's this thread:

http://road.cc/content/forum/96303-paris-tours

and this one:

http://road.cc/content/forum/95475-autumn-classic-milano-torino

which seem to indicate we did (!) have both races last year?... Am I mistaken?...  39

dave atkinson replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

I know it's not going to happen

now would be a good time to stop going on about it, in that case.

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

I know it's not going to happen, but, just in case, here's the Cyclingnews calendar for October for these races and it seems like Milano-Torino and the Giro del Piemonte don't conflict with anythng on the calendar right now... And Paris Tours, well, it does conflict with the Tour of Beijing, but, wouldn't it be nice to run them?...  4

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Picking the riders who have just finished the Tour is a risk, after 3 weeks and x amount of miles in their legs will this one be a stage to much ?

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sagan's never ridden CSS so is a bit of an unknown quantity. Muddying the waters further is the fact that this year the race finishes with a circuit of the town including a short, steep incline to punch up.

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

May well end up with egg on my face here, but really don't know about Sagan for this one. At top dollar he won't be in my squad. I'm not aware that he has any form in this race at all.

stenmeister | 9 years ago
0 likes

Quite a hilly course so I am going for some climbers.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can't afford Sagan in this one. There is too much other choice.

Nor Valverde.

Probably a mistake on both counts, but heh!

Him Up North replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Can't afford Sagan in this one. There is too much other choice.

Nor Valverde.

Probably a mistake on both counts, but heh!

They're first and second favourites at the bookies, but I'm not including them either. I tried following the money and got barely half a team before running out of funds. Doesn't seem right to pick three hot favourites and six fillers.  39

enrique replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

... I... got barely half a team before running out of funds...

Can we go back to a 150 budget for all races except the Tour, please?  4

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

My money is on Contador.

Or Wiggins.

Or maybe even Lance for this one.

Nah, I'll stick with Kreuziger.

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is Kreuziger cleared to race?

TERatcliffe26 replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

He is going to ride Poland 100% as of right now. As for CSS I cannot confirm yet, the startlist that is currently up is the initial official startlist, but is likely to change, and will look at it tomorrow night

Ghedebrav replied to TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Him Up North wrote:

He is going to ride Poland 100% as of right now. As for CSS I cannot confirm yet, the startlist that is currently up is the initial official startlist, but is likely to change, and will look at it tomorrow night

Surely he can't be riding both?! Or will Oleg Tinkoff drive him through the night from San Sebastian to Gdansk in one of his non-existent Aston Martins?

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wow such value!!

I hope my purist team does as well as it did in spring classics to put me back in the top 5, rather than the spirit of a purist contest

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

No Paris-Tours?  2

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

No Paris-Tours?  2

Is it too late to add that?... That's a nice race....  7 I know I asked last year, too, but these two are very climber friendly affairs, the Gran Premio Città di Peccioli - Coppa Sabatini and the Giro dell'Emilia, and they're very much more 'Classics' and European than Montreal and Quebec, can we add those, too?...Please?  4

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just like the spring classics.....unlimited transfers between the races in both purist and standard.

Ghedebrav replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Just like the spring classics.....unlimited transfers between the races in both purist and standard.

...and always pick Greg Van Avermaet.

Pages

Latest Comments