Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lumps and Bumps in Cheshire

I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of the lumps and bumps around Cheshire. My knowledge as a fledgling roadie only stretches to the parts around Macclesfield and is quite sparse at that, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far: (in no particular order)

Mow Cop, Congleton
Swiss Hill, Alderely Edge
Blaze Hill, Bollington
Cat & Fiddle, Macclesfield
Pyms Chair, Saltersford
"Brick Works", Beeston Brow, Bollington
Ankers Knowl Lane, Lamaload
Standing Stone, Macclesfield Forest
Ankers Lane, Macclesfield Forest
Ginclough, Rainow
Bakestonedale Road, Pott Shrigley

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Spenergy | 10 years ago
0 likes

So far we have:

Mow Cop, Congleton
Swiss Hill, Alderely Edge
Artists Lane, Alderley Edge
Macclesfield Road, Alderley Edge
Bradford Lane, Alderley Edge
Blaze Hill, Bollington
Cat & Fiddle, Macclesfield
Pyms Chair, Saltersford
Ankers Knowl Lane, Lamaload
Standing Stone, Macclesfield Forest
Ankers Lane, Macclesfield Forest
Ginclough, Rainow
Buxton Old Road, Disley
Coppice Lane, Poynton
Shrigley Road, Pott Shrigley

crazy-legs replied to Spenergy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Spenergy wrote:

So far we have:

You're getting confused with the names:
Brickworks is the colloquial name for Bakestonedale Road, the climb from Pott Shrigley.
Beeston Brow is the cobbled climb out of Bollington, that's not called anything other than "Beeston Brow"

Spenergy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Crosshouses, Think you might be talking about Woodbrook Road, it meets up with Swiss Hill, it's cobbled and pot holed, the Chelsea tractors have a difficulty getting up there never mind a 700c wheel!

The only one between Artists and Macc Rd, I can think of is Whitebarn Road, map shows it as a road, but it's a bridlepath halfway up that connects to Artists.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

True enough. I believe there's 2 others in that area as well, a climb that starts on London Rd between Macc Rd and Artists Lane, and has a cobbled section on it somewhere, and another that's parallel to Swiss Hill, neither of which I've seen yet. Then again, if you're Geraint Thomas, you just go up Swiss Hill 4 times, so I hear...

Some Fella replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

True enough. I believe there's 2 others in that area as well, a climb that starts on London Rd between Macc Rd and Artists Lane, and has a cobbled section on it somewhere,

Its called Bradford Lane - not as testy as Artists Lane.

The road out of back Poynton - Coppice Road - is a nice steady climb up to Pott Shrigley. And Hare Hill out the back of Prestbury is not tough but rises up quite nicely.

The valley around Wincle is lovely and very up and down (is that still Cheshire or is that in Staffs?)

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Down Artists Lane can be interesting, I've had some near things with 4 x 4s on their way up.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Long hill. Do the brickworks, then turn left, over the smaller hills until you hit the main road, turn right, up long hill, take a right, down into the valley then turn left or right to take you up to the Cat and Fiddle or Blaze/Pyms respectively.

If you're short on time but need some climbing, just go to Swiss Hill and mix it with Macclesfield Rd (main climb to the Wizard) and Artists Lane; up Artists, down Macc, up Swiss, down Artists, up Macc etc. All very close together.

Or, just go out with a club. They'll show you plenty.

Spenergy replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Long hill. Do the brickworks, then turn left, over the smaller hills until you hit the main road, turn right, up long hill, take a right, down into the valley then turn left or right to take you up to the Cat and Fiddle or Blaze/Pyms respectively.

If you're short on time but need some climbing, just go to Swiss Hill and mix it with Macclesfield Rd (main climb to the Wizard) and Artists Lane; up Artists, down Macc, up Swiss, down Artists, up Macc etc. All very close together.

Or, just go out with a club. They'll show you plenty.

That sounds like a real leg burner, but just about perfect for a blast before work. Really like the Alderley Edge trio, good test and a little variation.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gun Hill's a good one, has featured on the Tour of Britain.
Mow Cop is hilarious in its evilness.

Spenergy replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Gun Hill's a good one, has featured on the Tour of Britain.
Mow Cop is hilarious in its evilness.

Sorry, but where in Gun Hill?

Spenergy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Blaze Hill done military style, left right, left right....

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Blaze Hill, Bollington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSl5rB5R1A
good luck

Pages

Latest Comments