Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

XS Framesets

My son has had some success in Youth E races on his Trek KDR 1000 43cm. Next year he moves up to Youth D and by mid-season will probably need a larger bike.

I'd like to build up a bike based on Shimano 10 speed (to include R700 short reach levers and 165mm cranks) but I'm struggling to find a reasonable cost 46cm frameset new or used.

To-date I've been ruling out compact framesets that state a 46cm seat tube as they equate realistically to 50cm traditional.

Any suggestions on new XS framesets or bikes?  26

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Old Cranky | 14 years ago
0 likes

Nope, not all of the events are that well organised, so, post-race, the top three finishers have their bike's checked. If any fail then they call out the next finisher, etc.

Awful for the kids who get disqualified and their dads.

Simon E | 14 years ago
0 likes

They don't scrutineer the bikes before the race?  13

0 likes

Yes, I'm aware of the restricted gearing. Many parents aren't though and you should see the anguish when a kid is disqualified if post-race scruniteering find the bike over-geared.

Youth bikes only really need a single chainring and the rear derailleur wound in to stop at the 15 tooth sprocket.

A 10 speed cassette still gives a range of 7 gears (15-16-17-19-21-23-25) and my son can use my race wheels.

Simon E | 14 years ago
0 likes

The Islabikes have correctly proportioned components and are beautifully made. Secondhand value is very high too. The club has a couple available to the riders at the Saturday youth training sessions, some of the kids prefer the Luath models over their own bikes.

Does he need 10 gears? I considered myself lucky having 3 at that age  3 Bear in mind max gears for Cat D is quite low (BC Word doc).

0 likes

Thanks Tony - I'll find a local stockist and follow up.

Keep an eye out for an U10 racing around Hillingdon, MK Bowl, Hog Hill, Dunsfold and other closed road youth races on a small Kinesis.  26

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

He liked it a lot, enough to want to buy it.

0 likes

That looks ideal - their web site is a bit thin on detail. What was the feedback from your tests?

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

What about one of these http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/product.php?id=47 we've had a youngster testing one, and as soon as we've got some pics we'll be posting it again

0 likes

Her Luath bikes are great (and excellent value), but I was hoping to find something a bit lighter with 10 speed - more road racing specific.

kilotango | 14 years ago
0 likes

Isla Rowntree's Islabikes: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ are sure to have something suitable.

Latest Comments